1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets History] 1981 First Round Game 3 (never before seen on YouTube)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Apr 30, 2021.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I was binging old Rockets games on YouTube and this came to my attention. The infamous Game 3 from the '81 first round against the Lakers where Magic had a pretty awful game including an airball with seconds left that sealed the Rockets' mini-series upset win. While the video was uploaded almost a year ago, as far as I know this upload is the first time that third game has ever been on YouTube. I'd only seen highlights from the '81 Playoffs reel with Brent Musburger's narration that briefly went over it, but never the actual original broadcast on CBS.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think people who say the game was more beautiful back then are wearing rose colored glasses. The game can be beautiful then and now. The big difference was the game was way more physical and they let those guys scrap for rebounds. No whistle on every contact so the game had so much more pace and fluidity.

Fun to watch Moses, Reid, Dunleavy etc. Wish there was more footage from the 80s and 90s.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I used to have hundreds of games on VHS - but got rid of them years ago.....dang it....Oilers games, Rockets games.....Astros games......damnit.

DD

napalm06 likes this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

back when the nba had credibility and legit upsets could happen. Now the little guy has no chance to win a game like this

htwnbandit and napalm06 like this.
  5. HardenVolumeOne

the game is trash now, mostly because of how the game is called and officiated in the playoffs. The NBA is the only league where a foul is not a foul in the postseason. No other sport has such a thing, their is no "playoff strike in the mlb" no playoff dpi in the nfl"

htwnbandit likes this.
  6. napalm06

Like, but dislike

7. napalm06

I agree. Everything wrong with the NBA now has been caused by the league itself.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Yeah, but they were all SD, and the quality was so crap, it made it hardly watchable on early HD Flat screens.

DD

9. napalm06

Thats the nature of 80s and 90s sports footage. Everything nowadays is so digital that kids 40 years from now will be able to watch all of today's games in an archive somewhere but those decades will go down as lost gems.

htwnbandit likes this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I miss big men that could score in the post.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  11. DaDakota

Yeah, it is staggering how poor the quality was, but somehow the tube TV's made them much clearer.

DD

12. HardenVolumeOne

if they extended the 3 point line back and got rid of defensive/offensive 3 seconds that would help the game out a lot.