1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have interest in Gallinari

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivi, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

That is too much for an often injured, 29 year old player that is good but not an all star.... that is also entering free agency.

There is bad and there is REALLY BAD.

Bad defenders have physical limitations (Anderson, Gallinari) but make the proper switches and are consistent in their decision making. Players like these can be somewhat hidden.

REALLY BAD defenders (Parsons, Lin) have piss poor instincts, lack the discipline to switch properly and DESTROY team defense because the other four defenders on the floor have no idea what to expect when they are on the floor. We saw this in the Portland series a few years ago.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Mehh. If it's for Anderson sure. If it's for our poo poo platter + the 2017 1st rounder, sure. Otherwise, no thanks. We are at our limit for injury prone players, and at our limit for poor defenders.

Gallo can't start at the 3 anymore, he is really slow. He's a 4 now, especially in MDA's offense.

roslolian and basketballholic like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It is Denver.... so I would probably cost what Ibaka cost the Raptors and possibly a little more to complete a deal.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's good. I thought he was having a renaissance of sorts after a couple subpart years.

Make it Brew and unprotected 1st and the right to swap another 1st - assuming we could/should retain him.

5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Good points, a possible lineup like you mentioned looks good but there would need to be an addition to add depth to the guard rotation. Ive advocated to kick the tires on Jarrett Jack if a trade or a viable guard wasn't made. Ennis and Brown should never see minutes unless its garbage time.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would rather retain Anderson, he is more reliable than Gallinari, in spite of his well known short comings.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm divided between "let's go git'im!" and "um, is he worth it now, can we wait until the summer?"

Gallo is shooting about 36% from the 3 this season. He'd probably divide time between the 4 and the 3. I understand the D'Antoni / Gallinari connection; but is the idea here that we're gonna be all shooters, all the time? I don't think Anderson will be traded, especially this season, so....

As a serious question, and from someone who watches few Denver games, what does Gallinari bring that Dekker might not?

Looking at the stats, Gallo gets slightly more assists (I guess because in our system, Dekker gets it at the 3 point line, where he'll shoot, or near the rim, where he'll dunk). And Gallo's 3 point percentage is higher.

I think the 5 and the 1 are more glaring needs at the moment, but if the Rockets like Gallo, I love him. Just don't overpay.

raining threes likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Gallo is a rental . I wouldn't give up Dekker or Harrell for him as both of those guys might actually be better than him next year if you factor in his health and chance to leave .

Brew/KJ / first is what I'd offer and I'd really have to think hard about adding more

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Gallo is much better at creating his own shot in iso, is a better passer, and draws free throws. Offensively, Anderson is pretty one dimensional. I do not believe they can play together for defensive reasons, both are liabilities. Ryno might be okay defending the post, and that's being generous, but he is helpless on the perimeter and poor on the glass.

Ultimately, I respect Anderson and what he's done for us, but he can totally be upgraded. Shooting is great, but 14/5 from a PF with zero versatility and weak defense is not ideal. I know Gallo isn't the ideal either, but I do believe he is the greater talent and more versatile.

roslolian and Sanity2disChaos like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

It would work out well to move Dekker back to the 3 and have one of Dekker or Ariza out there with Gallo/Anderson at all times

Tha_Dude and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

never been a huge fan, but he would thrive in this system. But also seems redundant with paying RA $20 mil per

12. Mr Chuck Norris

We should try to get Gary Harris out of denver with Gallo. great defender, Izzo guy.

Vivi likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is a nice post by Lowe (one and half year old but still) http://grantland.com/the-triangle/c...anilo-gallinari-and-maybe-the-denver-nuggets/

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree but it seems like they're not trading him unfortunately.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Gallo is even worse defensively than Ryan, and that plus rebounding is our biggest need. Gallo's better offense doesn't overcome his defensive liabilities. Harrell needs to share more minutes with Anderson, just like Nene is doing with Capela at the 5.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol no.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? No one is worse defensively than Anderson.

DD

basketballholic likes this.
  18. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Every time I read a post where people say a team will take Corey Brewer for a superstar it reminds me there are no filters on the internet for stupid.

19. onreego

onreego Member

If we include KJ in a trade for Gallo, ABS gonna be put on suicide watch.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

We definitely need another forward who can get buckets. He or Chandler would be great fits, although DG seems more obtainable considering he is an expiring.

Brewer (Salary) + Dekker + Late 1st/Second Round would get the deal done, no? We could pick up Jarrett Jack to fill up the backup PG role.

The only sizable hole we would have after that would be another rim protector/rebounding big. Ibaka would have helped but he is gone now.