1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have interest in Gallinari

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivi, Feb 15, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'd be willing to take a chance on Gallo if we are confident Dekker can play the backup 3 .

Our playoff rotation would be

Bev/James/ Gordon 3 man rotation at guard
    Ariza/ Dekker SF
    Anderson/ Gallo
    Clint / nene

If you are OK with Clint and nene then I think that's as good as we are gonna get . That way you have two people that can get super hot at PF.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That rotation looks much better than any lineup including brewer. :D

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It all just depends on what we have to give up .

Sure that lineup looks better . But if something happens at the 1-2 ( like foul or injury) then Brewer is at least somewhat capable of defending those spots .

If our guards are playing well , we have a great shot anyways .

But sure I'd do Brewer and KJ for Gallo , it just leaves us thin at the 2/3 ... Like we would really end up having to play Ennis/brown

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  4. basketballholic

If we're interested in Gallo then we're interested in trading Anderson.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they both and corey brewer need to be traded for joomba

FTW Rockets FTW and DonKnock like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, Keith Jones will fix all of them up. If only that could be true, sigh.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. mightybosstone

When you think about it, the Rockets really only have one true 4 on the roster right now in Anderson. Nene and Harrell are both more suited for the 5 in this system, and Dekker and Ariza are both really more suited for the 3 defensively. Gallo obviously isn't a true 4, but he's a hybrid who could defend either position competently. And considering he's expiring, he might not be too expensive.

I actually really like this idea on paper. But I don't know what it could cost to bring him here and what he'll cost in the offseason to re-sign.

basketballholic and DonKnock like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is what i think we should do if we really want to trade for Gallo now, otherwise i'd say the same thing i said about Ibaka, Gallo alone would not makes us that much better, so i don't see why we should move 1st, Dekker/Trez...but if we can play Gallo at the 4 and move Ryan in another (big) trade, this may be interesting and worth exploring imo.

basketballholic likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have interest in him too

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Gallo could do everything Anderson does at the PF spot. He's spent the majority of his minutes at that position this year with good results. He's a worse rebounder sadly, but much better offensively and more fleet of foot on the perimeter defensively. He can actually put pressure on the defense off the dribble. Anderson's drive game is terrible.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

See, I think the problem with Ibaka is that he's not really a 5. You couldn't play Ibaka for 20 minutes a game at center, and with Anderson on the roster, that's what they would have had to do. But Gallo can play the 3 as well, if not better than he can play the 4. Ibaka would have had a tough time existing on this team with Anderson. But I think Gallo can absolutely get 30 minutes in the same rotation with Ryno. It could cut into Ariza and Dekker's minutes, but those guys could still get some playing time at SG, which would mean less Brewer (which I'm sure we'd all be a huge fan of).

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Only interested if Rockets give them low asset. I'm in favor anybody that is currently not playing in the rotation, or only playing garbage time. Unless they are garbage. Sewer is same as garbage.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I guess it'd be Dekker + 2 1sts?

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah i kinda agree, it's just that overall i'm not sure having both Gallo and Ryan is the right move going forward, especially with Sam and Trez on the roster.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm hardly an expert on Gallo, but I thought he was supposed to be really bad defensively?

16. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly there is no reason that the Rockets cannot play both Anderson and Gallinari. The two can play together in certain match ups, and their time on the floor can be over-lapped so that one of them is on the floor at all times.

I think you are underselling Anderson defensively, he is better than Gallinari.

What Gallinari does, that Anderson doesn't, is draw fouls.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

That would be way too much imo, we can trade a 1st or two 2nd rounders (if needed) this summer to dump Brewer and just sign him without losing that much.

18. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Honestly, I think if we have Gallo he would take all of Brewer's minutes + play the backup 4, Dekker would be highly limited here. We don't know whats going out yet. According to ESPN Trade Machine Brewer and KJ works and they probably want Harrell too plus a 1st.

96 guard minutes, lets say 32 a piece to Harden, Bev, Gordon for simplicity's sake.
    Ariza plays 35 leaves us 13 minutes.
    Anderson plays 31, leaves us 17 minutes.
    Capela plays 23, leaves us 25 minutes at the C, of which Harrell and Nene currently split.

So what jumps out at me is RIGHT THERE we have 30 minutes for Gallinari at the expense of Dekker.

So we have
    Harden
    Bev/Gordon
    Ariza/Gallo
    Anderson
    Capela

So to me, use Dekker to get a good center who could start or a Center like Nogueira who can develop on 25 minutes a game and perhaps his countryman Caboclo. Also sign Josh Smith at vet min like we do every year for insurance.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its a 30 game rental price, as he is a guy we could go after in free agency.

Offer would be less than a 1/3 of that.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Probably should keep both because one would be injured in the playoffs prob