1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have given Olajuwon permission to talk to try and work a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IA Rocket, Jan 18, 2001.

1. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting that the Rockets have given Olajuwon permission to talk to a couple of teams to try and work out a trade. Miami is believed to be one of those teams, as are the aforementioned Suns.

The link http://www.sportstalk.com/nba/rumors/index.shtml

------------------

2. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

It's already been posted.

------------------
    DAMN LANKY is the best player to ever play the game. -Michael Jordan

3. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry, I didn't go far enough down the list to find the other post.

------------------

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If it's about Hakeem, just assume it's been posted already because I think it has. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I personally don't think Jordan would have enjoyed playing with himself." -- JeffB lets us all know that Popeye and Clutch aren't the only ones with inside sources... (also an example of a BBS "sound-bite")

5. Steve_Francis_rules

I hope he can't find a team to take him because i'd like to see him finish his career here.

------------------

6. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Hakeem has had permission to "scout" out possibilities for a little while. The bottom line is CD has looked at several opportunities and NONE have given us any advantage. None. Vancover waved a couple deals. Portland did too. Toronto wanted the moon. On and on.

To get a trade, we would have to be sold on the eventual return, simply because by doing nothing we have $16.5M for next season. And some of that is already earmarked.

The alternatives for it to be anywhere mentionable:

1. Some remaining cap for next season. Preferably a nice chunk, so we are talking about either
    (a) a deal with someone dealt to us who has a contract that expires next year, or
    (b) an upside player with a downside price tag giving us a major trade exemption difference, which means we would have to limit ourselves to dealing with a team under the cap NOW. Slim pickings!

2. A blockbuster deal that would net us someone we need very badly (SA-R comes to mind as falling into that category). In other words, a deal that gives us now, someone we will be after next year anyway. Slim chance of any of that happening!

3. Waiving Hakeem outright. Not what I would call a good move public relation-wise. Not a prudent business solution where we pay $16.5 M to someone else to start our disgruntled center. I can live with Maloney out there, but not Hakeem. Nor is it smart to establish a dealing precedent in a market where a fool and his money are seperated by the guile and the chicanery of a sports agent. We would all lose face over a waiver deal. IMHO.

4. A bonafide three way deal where we pick up a couple stalwart players, at least one starter and a least some minimal cap relief. The trade defecit exception can not be used to resign a player presently on the roster. He must be traded for ... so that means this deal would possibly kill Shandon's hopes of a deal this summer, and most defintiely would kill Mo Taylor's return.

------------------

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

What were the deals that Portland gave to houston?

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Wow! An oeilpere sighting!

Thanks for elaborating. I like #4, but I think they should try to slim it down even more. Find one good young player with a low salary, trade Hakeem for him and a whole slew of other players (scrubs, whatever) who will all be FA's this summer. This would be the most difficult to do, but it could be done- the Pistons were basically going to fulfill that role in the huge 4 team trade this summer before they back out.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pere-When you fall below the cap by the amount of the trade exception or more, you lose the exception (and gain the cap space).

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this "lose exception" business needs further explanation. Coon always says "the combined amount of any available exceptions". That reads to me as Middle-Class plus $1m plus Trade exceptions.

Also NIKE, Coon has confirmed that the unused Trade Exception does not count as salary like the Mid, $1m, minimum, etc. Thus, losing it doesn't "gain" you cap space. I'd say it is more accurate to say that *using it* means you add salary.

I know; I know...these are boring minor points.

I gave further explanation in your Mo Salary thread.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 18, 2001).]

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

The trade defecit exception: This is either very difficult or very simple to understand. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. The simplest way to think of it is an exception that allows you to break most of the standard CBA rules.

Think of it as an IOU with the entire league. You can accept someone in a trade in which his salary is MORE than the 115% rule and up to the amount of the exception you have in hand. Because it was received in a trade, it must be used in a trade. Not a resign. Another team CAN resign a player and trade to us in a sign and trade however. As long as there is a movement of a player from each team.

------------------

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Toronto, eh? Haven't heard that one...recently...what did they want, I wonder.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Probably Cuttino Mobley? [​IMG]

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    THE VIKINGS SUCK BIG TIME!