1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Collision Course

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KDJ3, Mar 19, 2013.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/collision-course-0

Didn't see it posted...

1 person likes this.
  2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Am I the only one not too worried about missing the playoffs?

Will it be disappointing? Yes.

In the grand scheme of things.. we are still the (second) youngest team in the NBA, a 23 year old star, no bad contracts, great cap flexibility, assets, human beings, etc. The future is bright.

I'm just happy we have a player to build around right now. Harden is that top 5 pick we've been wanting all these years.. making the playoffs is just a bonus right now.

1 person likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Missing the playoffs is easier when you havent been seeded all year and you lose out at the end by a game or two vs being in the picture most of the year only to fall out of it at the end due to bad play.

I suppose its about momentum and whick way the trend graph is tilted.

Certainly, I am not saying that we will miss the playoffs. But the playoff bug has been firmly planted and missing the playoffs at this point would be a blow.

Sure, one can argue youth, inexperience, potential, and all that. Still wouldn't make the pill any easier to swallow.

4. just a word

just a word Member

I think that their playing in playoff atmosphere would give this young team invaluable experience and learning opportunities. And it's this chance of growth that I really want this team to make it, even if they lose in the first round.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we make the playoffs then we can give up the 1st round pick we're obligated to give up. And in such a weak draft, I would be glad to.

But I also want to make the playoffs just for the experience of the guys on this team. Even if they get swept, I'd prefer that to not making the playoffs.

Plus, I need to see some Rockets playoff games gorrammit!

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I can understand that argument but at the same time I feel like it's not going to make or break a players development if they make a 1st round playoffs or not.

7. pnr

pnr Member

It would be heartbreaking tbh. We've been in the picture for most of the year so to miss out would royally suck.

8. Fighton

Fighton Member

i'm very worried, because we're nowhere close to locking this up, and with the talent on this team, it would be a huge disappointment to not make the playoffs. at this point, being young is no longer an excuse. we've had a whole season to play together and figure each other out. they know what they all need to do. it's a matter of being accountable for your own play and getting it done.

by the way, we now have 2 top 5 picks in harden and robinson.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I think the "talent on this team" can be overrated.. Lin is good, but there are so many elite PGs out there he almost outclassed by most starting point guards at this point.

Parsons is a fan favorite, a great 2nd round player, and a great role player.

We don't have any PFs can legitimacy play right now.

Asik is a great rebounder, but bad on offense. IMO he hasn't been a great defensive player this season.

We have good players for sure.. but most teams do. Our roster is nothing special right now that you would look at and say "this team should make the playoffs"

10. Anxiety Trooper

Sure it would suck but I'm not going to worry about it. Just enjoying the season. Coming into the season after striking out on Dwight and losing Dragic. I could have never in my wildest dreams imagine the season being as entertaining and enoyajable as its been. Rockets really took the Texans crap sandwich taste out of my mouth.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Collapsing for a 2nd straight year and no playoffs for the 4th time in 4 years? That would be disappointing. Disappointing initially but ehh whatever.

(But they're young, we have a future, we have a star, not like before! Meh. 14th pick sucks no matter how you try to spin it.)

Has a team ever had the 14th pick 4 years in a row? (Okay, technically incorrect as they traded up and picked 12th last year but you get the point.)

12. just a word

just a word Member

I think, though, that going into the playoffs would speed up their development and hone their determination.

13. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

We can't miss the playoff man, I can't stress this enough. Sure we are a young year team but we have James freaking Harden and all the talent needed to make the playoff, it's all about effort and focus if we can do that much, we will make the playoff.

The most important goal for making playoff is to attract off-season FA. I don't care if we get sweep on the first round but making the playoff is a must.

14. bonny1

bonny1 Member

We play to win. That's the point of sports. If we could finish as the 6th seed and play Memphis or Denver, we even have a chance (although really tiny) to the 2nd round. Making the playoffs is important for this young team.

15. j3i

j3i Member

Parsons' attitude towards losing might have changed. During the losing streak, he said, "you gotta hate losing more than you love winning." Now, only two months later, it's "you can learn more from losing than you can from winning."

16. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Missing the playoff may not be that bad, since DWH/CP3 are most likely stay put. We'd have a chance for that Greek Kid with our pick, and find a better coach.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Your Houston Rockets 2012-2013 Season: SABOTAGED!

[​IMG]

Gotta hold onto that draft pick until it's so bad that it's in the late 20's.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Missing the playoffs that many years in a row would do nothing but foster a losing mentality that I am afraid is getting cemented in a lot of fans.

To become irrelevant for prolonged periods of time beings fan apathy, especially for the very young who will find something else to do, hence the not-so-good attendance at TC.

No, we want to make the playoffs this year.

20. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member