1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets can't win in the Playoffs narrative

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Antoine is an expert on bad shot selection.

Rocket River

slothy420, Blurr#7, DeBeards and 4 others like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The biggest determinants in a Rockets V. Bucks or even Lakers series is not necessarily how the Rockets Play
    It is more how the Game is Reffed.

1. If LeBron and Giannas are getting every ticky tack foul. while Harden and Westbrook are getting slung to the floor every play . . . it will not be much of a series. Against the Bucks in particular I can see Tuck and Covington ,both, having 5 fouls early in the 4th . . . .. and Giannas able to go off. They will blame small ball when in reality its the Refs. HArden and Westbrook get the foul calls. . .I could see most of the Buck's front court having 5 fouls by the beginning of the 4th .

2. League Narrative determines #1 above and how the series will go imo . .far too much

3. Rockets Play is a factor as well and some luck (injuries) could cause problems.

Rocket River

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough.

DeBeards likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards, D-rock and Easy like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Couldn't find the gif for this classic:

[​IMG]

DeBeards, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

My prediction

lakers 62 wins
    Rockets 58 wins
    Clippers 57 wins
    Jazz 53 wins
    Nuggets 53 wins

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We totally clamped down our defense in the second half against the Celtics, played them extremely physically in the paint, used our hands a lot, and seldom got called for fouls. And this was in Boston.

That's an extremely good sign for the playoffs. The #1 difference in the playoffs is not that the game slows down, but that referees eat their whistles. In previous years, that was bad for us. Now it's good.

Small ball doesn't just suit our lineup. It also takes full advantage of the way games are being refereed. I like our chances.

Blurr#7, Rocket River, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

we have elite wing defenders now so things will be different this year

Air Yordan likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i guess thats the thing..

if there is an opinion that you dont like or disagree with, disparage it by calling it a "narrative"...

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

well when it apparently only applies to the rockets, I'd say that's a "narrative"

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on - winning in the 1st and 2nd round is not what this is about.....if you are happy with that - then you are missing the point a lot of us are making.....it is about being a CHAMPIONSHIP contender only, nothing else.

I don't want to be the Trailblazers who win in the first round then peter out.......that is what this is about, being a perinieal WC finals contender.

WC finals or bust.

DD

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

you didn't read the thread holic

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Well I'd say if the 'narrative' is that we cant win a series or 2 in the playoffs - that is incorrect... according to the OP we are 6-5 in series since 2015... So I'd say odds are we'll win a series or maybe 2...
    If its that we cant win throughout the playoffs to make it to the finals or win a chip... well... hasnt happened in like 25 years.. so thats probably deserved at this point...
    GSW, Bron, Toronto... have shown they can win throughout the playoffs... some teams are in flux so you dont know what they're capable of (Clippers)
    and most other teams arent even in the conversation... lol

Too many seemed concerned and want to outraged with the ramblings of the talking heads...

what was the Nixon quote... something like "They'll love me when I win!" lol

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA is still about matchups.......just as the Rockets pose a threat to both LA teams.

Dallas matches up well when healthy with the Rockets just as this version of OKC does.

CP3 is still the prince of midrange and a good 3 pt shooter in clutch.

They all have nice role players. Nice balance of old and young players. (Dallas obviously has younger players)

I think Memphis or New Orleans are too inexperienced....but will get better in the future.

#57 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  17. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Josh Smith Game 6

Josh Smith likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with what you say in general, although I don't think it applies in the case in point.

Yes, the word "narrative" is being overused. And since when "narrative" became a negative term? I do blame sports "journalism" -- if you can call them journalists.

kjayp likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In fairness ,Antoine Walker is an expert in bad shot selection.