1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets aggressively pursuing Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 24, 2017.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Incorrect, Paul costs 38 million, Ryno is 18m. If you think this will be eaay, you are mistaken.

2. seeingred

seeingred Member

That's a good point - Wolves 3 pt shooting is atrocious. But also, a team like the Bulls that just got sent into rebuilding mode with no assets to do it with could take Ryno and a pick for an expiring. Any team that is in tank mode (probably 1/3 of the NBA in this climate) will be willing to sell us their cap space. Here's hoping someone needs a boost to get up to the NBA salary floor.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Huh? Paul doesn't cost 38 mil. His max starts at 34.7 mil. If u dump Ryno and Lou then you're pretty much there.

Deuce, joshuaao, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

38? I thought after the cap reduced to 99,000,000 then a player like Chris Paul would have a starting salary of $34.7m. Moving Anderson would indeed be an obstacle and wouldn't give us enough cap space, but Patrick, Gordon, and Lou are all easily moveable contracts.

Edit: for spelling errors.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Idc what anyone says. Signing Chris Paul would be huge. Him and Harden would mesh well.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Allegedly the market for Kevin Love is weak, and he's a far better version of Ryan Anderson.

Won't be easy at all to get rid of him.

You think Thibodeaux wants a no defense, no rebounding, no post up power forward at $20 mil per? I doubt it

saleem likes this.
  7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

When will we get the Cyber thread and the tracking of CP3s plane & hair stylist?

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm as skeptical as anyone but this doesn't make sense to me. Isn't a foregone conclusion that if he wants to stay in LA the Clippers will give him the maximum allowable salary just as soon as they can? If so, what need does he have for leverage? I negotiate for a living and I just can't see where he stands to gain anything here.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

While I think Paul will seriously consider the Rockets, he has an incentive to leverage himself. If he decides to stay in LA he is going to want a no trade clause.

Fullcourt likes this.
  10. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

They'd probably give him that anyway.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Those are exceedingly rare. Isn't Melo currently the only player in the league who has one? And considering the situation NY is in with Melo, I doubt anyone would consider giving any player another under any terms. Especially one who is already 32 years old. And honestly, we so rarely even hear about players asking for those that I doubt that's the issue here.

I'll acknowledge that a no trade clause is a plausible motive to angle for leverage, but I just have a hard time buying it. I think Reddick is going to leave. I think Blake is likely to leave. Jordan has already been reported to be on the block. I don't think Chris Paul wants to return to the Clippers.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

After seeing the Melo fiasco in New York, I'd be hesitant as an executive to just hand out NTC's.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I mean, you admit yourself that it's a possible motive to gain leverage, and it's really not that troubling to have a meeting with a rival team. He might just be going through the motions to try and get this no-trade clause. Who knows.

The fact is, the situation is bleak for the Clippers, and if he wants to have his cake and eat it too, he's going to take the money while trying to ensure he doesn't get dealt to Sacramento when LAC faces reality and blows it up.

14. Garner

Garner Member

Am I the only person who has concerns about two of the NBA's most ball dominate guards on the same team?

TheFreak, Remlap and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. Mr Chuck Norris

On my block list

Cash Cam likes this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I did have those same concerns, but I thought back to when PHX had Joe Johnson. I think that was their best squad. It gave them two shot creators on the floor. If Joe hadn't hurt his eye socket that playoff series they were on their way. He left the next year to ATL. PHX messed that up.

So I say all that to say I think they can make that work. We would have two of the best playmakers in the same backcourt and both can score when needed.

Plowman and DonKnock like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just call me @BusterPoindexter.

But it's worth noting, in all seriousness, looks like things are really heating up.

J.R., DonKnock and Fullcourt like this.
  18. No Chill Rocket

19. No Chill Rocket

lol I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. I love it

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if paul is about the money/security of NTC then he'll stay in LA, but all reports of his personality is that he cares about winning more than most.

If CP3 wants to win, he choses between the spurs and rockets. He will meet with both and hear their plan for clearing cap space to sign him. which team will have the better roster and remaining assets once space is cleared will surely play a factor. their plan for adding a 3rd or even 4th star will definitely big a major factor as well.

this is why it makes sense to trade for that other star ASAP. it will attract FAs.