1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That would be a great precedent to set. Let's play hard ball politic with independent prosecutor until the congressional party in power get what they want. Or at least sod doubt into the whole process.

Remember that Mueller wasn't assigned as special counsel by his friend. Mueller is not under investigation. If there is evidence of wrong doing by him, the AG should replace him with another special prosecutor.

SMH

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No Democrats need to get on to the business. There is nothing to this

Right is right

We've gone from Russian meddling to Trump must have something to do with it with no connection

This is all innuendo. It has to be firmed up or cease at some point

There is no firming no matter how excited talk are about these hearings

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one is accusing him of any wrongdoing, but there is evidence of a conflict of interest which is why he should recuse himself. You shouldn't have a personal friend of any witness for the prosecution or the potential defendant because they'd be too close to the people involved to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As you might guess I'm not a fan of Jeff Sessions

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. The best part of this whole fiasco is that the obstruction of justice charge will end up being due to Trump's own public and semi-public statements. All he had to do was shut up. I mean this guy is so f------- impaired and it was blatantly obvious from the debates forward. The fact that he received such a high percentage of the popular vote, even though it wasn't a majority, will be a permanent stain on this country.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

All of you are accusing him of not capable of performing his job. You are all fooled to play along with that thinking.

The AG appoint him. End of the story. If AG doesn't think he can perform his job, he shouldn't have appointed him or should replace him now.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying there is an appearance of impropriety due to his close personal friendship with one of his primary witnesses who is a disgruntled former employee of the potential defendant who believes that he was wrongfully terminated. That's a conflict of interest and basic prosecutorial ethics would dictate that he recuse himself from any investigation into those matters. It doesn't matter who appoints him, since there is that conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest he should take it upon himself to recuse.

If he refuses to do the right thing, then he should be removed because his refusal to do so only enhances the appearance of impropriety.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump is his worse enemy. Proven over and over. A special counsel likely wouldn't have been assigned if he didn't brag openly about his reason for firing Comey. Trump is quite an idiot.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is no conflict of interest worthy of dismissing him. The appearance of one is created by the attacks on him on purpose through dirty politic. It's a laughing matter that so many are easily persuaded, but whatever.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. If he was an ethical prosecutor he'd have already recused himself, the fact that he hasn't casts doubts on his ethics and his motivations.

Let's put it this way, if one of Trump's long time personal friends was in Mueller's position, would you think there was a conflict? Of course you would. When nearly the entire basis for your investigation is the testimony of a long time personal friend, you are WAY too close to the case to prosecute it.....and I think most would agree with me if not for the Trump blinders that so many have on.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do not know this. That is the point of an investigation, which is happening now. If there is evidence of collusion, will you be willing to accept it? If there isn't, we should be willing to accept that, too. The entire point is for this to be apolitical and fact-based. Calls for Mueller's recusal are politically-motivated and seek only to submarine any investigation at all because those calling for it know there won't be a person that is 100% acceptable to both sides. Mueller was lauded by both sides of the aisle both during his time as FBI director and in the immediate aftermath of his appointment. You people would object if God himself was appointed because Comey testified to "the truth so help [him] God."

Also, by reporting that Trump is now under investigation for obstruction of justice, he will actually commit that if he fires the person investigating him.

4-D interstellar Jenna.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Just be prepared for nothing to come of this.

It's outlandish in nature. I don't care about the investigation although I really don't think the FBI has provided enough evidence to question Trump

But that's fine. I'm talking about you guys as well as media analysis. Nothing substantial has come of these hearings.

Y'all are setting yourselves up for major disappointment

13. Major

Major Member

Do you have an inside source? Or do you, for some absurd reason, think the FBI publishes all it's info during an investigation?

JeffB, justtxyank and R0ckets03 like this.
  14. Major

Major Member

It's funny how nearly perfectly you parrot whatever the right wing media says in any given day. It's always been known that Comey was a friend and protege of Mueller. Yet no one - not you or the GOP - had any issues with this appointment until yesterday, when you all started parroting the same talking point. You're quite terrible at this whole pretend-you're-unbiased thing. At least wait a few days, or change up the wording, or *something* besides basically copying and pasting whatever you're being fed in a given day.

JeffB, justtxyank, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

You would be wrong.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What's funny is that you never addressed the actual issue in an effort to refute what I said, instead you predictably attempted to poison the well with vague accusations of bias while ignoring the argument.

When Mueller was dealing with an investigation into Russia that was one thing, when he decided to start investigating the president on the behalf of his buddy who feels he was wrongfully terminated and is almost the entire basis for the investigation, that is another.

I know that's probably over your head but that's not my problem.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If there was something substantial it would have been presented

This guy is out there is out there making law

Secondly, Comey pretty much said he didn't believe Trump has anything to do with Russian interference

Notice everyone talking about obstruction now

I guess you missed it

No problem

#317 pgabriel, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL. He does not need to defend anything. That's not his job. He's not a politician and doesn't have to answer to personal attacks. He's a special counsel assigned to do a particular job. Who give a damn what some wacko thinks?

I see the exact other way. He know he's being attack. He know what he's capable of and that he has no ethical issue himself. There is absolutely no reason for him to step down. Doing so himself voluntary is either being weak or thinking he can't perform the job fairly.

This is the shameful political game that is being played and sheep line up as usual. Day 1- oh, great choice. Awesome choice from all sides. There were even thoughts of not if, but when the left will attack Mueller. Now - oh no, bad choice by a few sheep. One of the lead sheep did a 180 on himself - this is what you see from unethical shameless politician.

BTW, you don't disagree that he can do his job properly. So, what's your problem again? Nevermind.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Again, Mueller must be close to uncovering and proceeding with something significant on Trump for all the Trump supporters to develop and escalate their concerns to panic mode about Mueller. I think for the rest of us... best to let the investigation run its course as folks wanted from the start... and let the chips fall where they will.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Luckily Mueller's investigation will look at the possibility of obstruction of justice, since the senate investigation apparently won't. Its criminal... and they aren't interested in criminal activity...

Senate Intel panel won't investigate Trump obstruction question

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...l-will-not-investigate-obstruction-of-justice