1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Captian Phil Harris

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eveluvsrox, Feb 10, 2010.

1. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Saw this trending topic on twitter
    I don't know how many of you guys watched the deadliest catch but
    Phil died from complications following a stroke.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/phil-harris/

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010...tch-'Deadiest+Catch'+captain+Phil+Harris+dies

Discovery announced tonight that Captain Phil Harris, known to fans of Deadliest Catch as captain of the crab fishing vessel Cornelia Maria, has died. He suffered a stroke late last month while in port off-loading at St. Paul Island in Alaska. “He was more than someone on our TV screen,” according to a statement from the network, which has documented the Cornelia Marie’s adventures on the Bering Sea for five seasons on the Emmy-winning series. “Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil’s every move.”

Harris’ sons also put out the following statement: “It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate his strength.”
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    He was my favorite captain :( :( :( :( :(

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Wow. I was just going to finally watch some of this the next season.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

RIP

Discovery Channel Curse :(

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, this is one of the shows that I follow every season and was my favorite captain. It was always kind of interesting seeing the dynamic of his sons being his deck hands as well. Sad stuff.

RIP

5. updawg

updawg Member

sorry to hear that. he was one of the good ones

when does the next season start up?

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This. Seemed like a stern but very likable guy. RIP.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

At first, I thought it was that other guy as I don't know these people by name but have seen some of the episodes. There was another guy who seemed to be having some problems while out at sea. It was the guy who was trying to quit smoking and he was having chest pains or something. He may be next.

8. updawg

updawg Member

you're probably thinking of Captain Sig.

9. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

The third week in april :(

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

RIP F'Phi, you old Priate Captain.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No, it isn't Sig...it was the bald dude with the beard...forget his name.

Man, that's awful news...huge Deadliest Catch fan and Phil was my favorite captain by far.

12. Surfguy

Actually, I did a search on Sig and that is who I was talking about.

13. Convictedstupid

RIP.

Wont be the same without him as a captain.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

really? because last season the other guy had chest problems before and had to try not to smoke (or maybe 2 seasons ago). Killing me that I can't remember his name

15. Surfguy

doesn't surprise me. none of those guys seem to healthy and they all seem stressed out most of the time. it's not a dangerous job for nothing. you expect those on deck to be more in the danger zone of falling overboard or whatever...but the damn captains are up there stressed all too hell, chain smoking, and contemplating all their next moves. then, throw a camera in the fold with sidebar conversation for the series and i'm sure that helps a lot.

it makes me wonder if this guy who died...was he on meds or not? i know a stroke can happen to anyone...even someone seemingly healthy...but he didn't look like he was in great shape to me. maybe more emphasis should be on these captains getting good exercise and focusing more on their health than how many crabs they catch? all they seem to care about is where the crabs are, how many they can catch, and how much money they can make. makes me wonder what they do in port...sit in bars drinking and smoking talking about the next time they have to go out...along with preparations for the next time?

definitely a job i would not want...regardless of how good the money is.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These guys live hard and die hard. RIP.

My dad was one of those crab fishermen for two years. Said it was the hardest work he'd ever done in his life, and he's a blue collar worker.

17. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Obviously not to familiar with a fishermans lifestyle, are you. Yeah, they are all stressed out. They are responsible for the lives of 5-7 other men on the boat. They know if they dont get on the fish, or in this case crab, these fathers/husbands will lose everything. This isnt a 9-5 with a salary and benefits, if they dont catch, they dont survive.

As for Capt. Phil, met him a number of times, amazing guy. He was the right balance between genius/psyco-path that it takes to be a good commercial captain. Maybe wasnt the heathiest of sorts, but he was a 4th generation crab fisherman, this is what he grew up in, this is what he knew. He knew the risks, that became obvious in season 5 when he went against doctors recommendations to go back on the boat for Opilio season, the more stressful of the king/opilio seasons.

I feel for his family, for his sons he will be on the boat without him. RIP

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I used to watch it a long long time ago.. but I have a phobia of deep waters and I tend to get very seasick easily. Watching the show makes my palms sweat.

RIP Capt.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Deadliest Catch indeed.

20. Surfguy

i would say that unless any of us has actually done it...that watching a tv show about it is not going to be enough to make us familiar enough to know what we are talking about on the issue. there is a huge difference between watching and doing...so yea...why would i be familiar as i haven't done it and watching it on tv doesn't change that fact? so, i fail to understand your point with that statement? have you done it? i know it is dangerous and i know some of the responsibilities a captain has...but that doesn't change the fact that these guys still need to take care of themselves better when they are not at sea given the incredible pressure they are under.