1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Reilly leaving SI for ESPN

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Hunted, Oct 23, 2007.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Haven't seen this posted. I've never been a big fan but I know some people are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3074248

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Rick Reilly is joining ESPN to write a back-page column for ESPN The Magazine, write for ESPN.com and contribute essays to ESPN television coverage.

Reilly, who wrote for Sports Illustrated for 22 years, will join ESPN on June 1, 2008.

Reilly will write bi-weekly for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com. He is also scheduled to contribute essays to ESPN SportsCenter as well as contributing to ESPN's coverage of events such as The Masters, the U.S. Open, the British Open and the Ryder Cup.

"Rick has been a premier voice of sports commentary for more than 20 years and we are thrilled and honored to add his considerable talents to ESPN's outlets," said ESPN executive vice president John Skipper in a news release. "The outstanding insights, reporting, and humor of his weekly column will continue, and fans will now be able to enjoy Rick's work through television."

Said Reilly in the release: "This is an itch I've wanted to scratch for a long time. For a guy who loves sports, ESPN is the ultimate. I feel like a mouse locked in a cheese store. I don't know where to start first. I'm thrilled with the opportunity to speak to a whole new audience in a whole new way."

ESPN The Magazine editor in chief Gary Hoenig said that: "With Rick joining Bill Simmons, our readers will now enjoy the two best sports columnists anywhere."

Reilly is an 11-time national sportswriter of the year. Prior to Sports Illustrated, he worked at the Denver Post and Los Angeles Times, in addition to starting his career at the Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Wrong Forum. It should be in the GARM. Once, Le$lie Alexander wrote to Rick Reilly. How i$ that NOT related to the ROCKET$? :mad:

I kid. ;)

He actually DID write to Reilly, and asked to join him on his best day ever... does anyone remember that? I believe it was about 3 or 2 years ago.

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Does this mean thta Reilly will now only be able to talk about Baseball for the rest of his career with ESPN? :rolleyes:

God ESPN made me hate baseball.

4. WildSweet&Cool

I've always liked Reilly's writing, but... damn, I hate ESPN.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I subscribe to ESPN mag (Insider!), but I'll be skipping RR columns. I personally think he's a blowhard.

Evan

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I saw a pic of his family and he's got some doable daughters, wifey didn't look too bad either...never read his articles though, looks boring...

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wonder if this had anything to do with Dan Patrick signing with SI to write?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ah, ESPN becoming even more self-righteous! Yay!