1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rick adelmans offense would be perfect with this rockets team!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James Hardashian, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Just as the title says. Ricks offense would be so perfect with this current team with James Harden. even last season would've been better then it ended up being in my opinion!.. Thoughts?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You need bigs who can pass from the high post. We only have one in Nene, a 25mpg player who's unlikely to play more than 60 games or so.

D'Antoni's a better fit with this group.

3. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

And dmo.. But if we had rick when we had Howard we def would've won more. How the Sacramento off. when bibby ran it would now be such a great fit even if we still had Dwight. My god the pick and rolls

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

he would have led us to the lottery multiple times like he did with the timberwolves. no thanks.

5. rockets13champs

Too late he retired and we are rolling with dantoni

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Not sure if ur serious or just being sarcastic ....

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Other poster says we need bigs who can pass out of the high post, and you say Dwight Howard would be perfect for that????????? What?????

8. hakeemthagreat

We actually made the 2nd round playoffs with him here ( that's with a injury plagued roster:rolleyes:)

9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

My next thread will be on how Phil Jackson will make this great again..
    Maybe even get coach k to finally move to the NBA and be his assistant

10. conquistador#11

it's almost forgotten how elegantly yao played the post, moving from the low block to the high post, not just with his offensive moves but passing the ball. he was a magician. Vlade was also a great passer, better thespian. Would demo play this role in the fuhrer's offense?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PZ4KLsY84AE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. oakdogg

When Rick was hired, I thought Yao would be an MVP - he was such a good passer before JVG. But Rick didn't play him in the high post much. Rick said why once. I think it was because Yao was too slow.

There's always a lot of Yao nostalgia on here, probably people too young to have witnessed the championships. Unfortunately, Yao was just too flawed to be a big time player on a champion, because:

1) too slow on defense- I don't know if prime Yao would get much time today. Couldn't guard the pick n roll and couldn't guard stretch big men
    2) Fronting took him completely out of the offense. Big numbers in the regular season, because teams don't game plan much then

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think perhaps you're not remembering correctly. His first season or two here Adelman played Yao in the high post quite extensively. But then he realized that it wasn't as effective and a generally useless tactic for someone who scored as easily as Yao.

So then he want back to having Yao bang down low. I think Adelman had him close to MVP level at that point.

Of course then Rick started that whole "let me play Yao all 12 mins of the first quarter" bs which I'm pretty sure helped accelerate Yao's demise.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Coach Sleepy's offense would be perfect for retirement.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Adelman only had Yao for two seasons.

The fronting started Year One, and Rudy pulled him out to PnR position to combat that, since Yao was having trouble learning to seal on ball swings, which are usually the #1 way to beat fronting It was what I called a fake PNR, because Francis was not instructed to drive, and Yao didn't roll. Instead, Rudy put MoT at opposite elbow for a pass from Francis and Yao would walk his man down the lane while MoTs man was frozen from helping. Then entry to Yao came from MoT

It was JVG who got the most out of him in the low post by improving his footwork and positioning against fronting. And all while having the worst PFs in Rockets history to match with Yao. Adelman was later able to tweak Yao's dominant low post game with more high post action because Scola had to be guarded

15. alethios

alethios Member

Great explanation. I remember Yao having a lot of issues with opponents fronting him.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You guys thinking that Yao was stopped by fronting him were remembering his early-to-mid evolution. Towards the end, right before the injury... he was one of the most dominant offensive presences in the league including Shaq. He was unstoppable on the low-block. Then he got injured and it was pretty much over.

17. hakeemthagreat

Yea I used to HATE when guys like Carlos Boozer would front Yao and totally disrupt his game. Adelman came here put a stop to that crap. I wish Adelman stayed here longer because he was a genius basketball coach. Too bad Morey couldn't keep his own ego out the way

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yep.

Yao was being mentioned as an MVP candidate.

19. oakdogg

Maybe....I'm just saying he was never running the show ala Webber the way I envisioned. When he first came in under Rudy, he showed he was really impressive at passing, and I never felt that was fully utilized later in his career. And I do recall Adelman specifically addressing why he didn't do that with Yao, and I'm pretty sure it was something to do with how slow Yao was.

20. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I agree but whats the point of discussing it? We hired a new guy.....