1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice for Dream? Say it ain't so!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jul 27, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

LaFrentz is baggage? Equivalent to Cato, Rice, Croshere, etc.!?!? Since when...he's had conflict with Issel, that's the only reason he might be available, but he isn't going to be cheap, let alone someone they're looking to dump....Persoanlly, and I'm on record about this, I'd LOVE to have him on the Rockets...perfect fit, I'd say...

------------------

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Of all the possibilities mentioned, the most intriguing is Lamond Murray. He is the best scorer on the Cavs roster, I wonder why they would move him for Olajuwon.

That makes no sense.

------------------
    The time for logic and reason has come and gone.

It's homer time now. Believe.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

ESPN reported it on the 5:00 Sportscenter, saying that it was Houston that really wanted Rice.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

4. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If the rockets trade for glen rice, who has 3 years left on his contract (thus basically removing us from the 2003 free agent market which contains tim duncan and other), then there will be a mob after CD's head.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

5. JAG

JAG Member

Anyone here who knows the numbers...if Rice has got 3 years left on his contract, and with Stevie's extension slated for next summer, wouldn't that effectively take us out of any Duncan-level FA's for the foreseeable future? If so, just ANOTHER reason NOT to acquire Glen Rice...Add to that the fact that he's never been happy anywhere unless he's Option no. 1....

------------------
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars... O. Wilde

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is all just a bunch of garbage. CD is adamant he's not even listening to sign and trades yet, and neither Fegan nor Hakeem have said a single word on ANYTHING. All this is a bunch of speculation by bad networks. Who is saying who the "front runner" is? The talks have been between CD and Fegan only, and the Chron. article mentions things from Alexander that Dream isn't even involved in the negotiations yet, so there goes any "sources close to Hakeem" angles. Pure misdirection being used by Fegan

There is even less substance here than the new city fetish Webber had every other week.

As far as sign and trades go, If we take on Rice, we better be getting Camby with him. Hakeem-Cato for Rice-Camby makes sense, to an extent. But, this Houston wanting Rice business makes about as much sense as Croshere-guys we may have wanted last year that the media assumes we still want, even after they under perform on obscenely large contracts.

I'm guessing we'll either get a promising young big man directly (Keon Clark or Camby), or if Hakeem's team of choice doesn't have one to trade, we'll look to work a 3 way to acquire a big man, by dangling a talented player that would be fairly useless here (like an Al Harrington or Jonathan Bender) with some of our own useful properties (an expiring Walt, KT, picks) to acquire that big man, like Raef Lafrentz.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Didn't NY end up with a future draft pick or two in the Grant-Ewing-Rice trade last year?

To move Rice without a desirable player attached (read: Camby), extra sweetener such as a draft choice will be needed to make his contract more palatable. It might involve more than 1 pick to get the job done for NY.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

How much do you want to bet that if Hakeem becomes a Knick, he will then be considered as one of the top 3 centers of all time. (by others not in Houston)

------------------

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rice for Dream would be horrible,I wouldn't take Croshere for Hakeem either,that would only drive Mo out of town,the rumor mills have started and their only aim is to screw the Rockets.We should look to get the exception from Toronto,as well as picks.With Walt coming off the books next year,we could pick up a good free agent next year.If we
    renounce the rights to Hakeem and sign Mo and Norris to reasonable contracts we might have enough money to pick up a center like Marc Jackson who could be an improvement over Cato.

------------------

10. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Maybe this was mentioned, but could these rumors be thrown out there to scare off the other Rocket FA's?

------------------

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct B-ball freak,they want to drive out all of the free agents out of Houston.That is what I was trying to point out in my previous post.
    There is a pattern to it,if Croshere comes here,Mo leaves,if Rice comes, Anderson leaves.

------------------

12. PUREBALL

PUREBALL Member

NO OLD PLAYER...I REPEAT, NO OLD PLAYER...DON'T DESTROY THE CHEMISTRY WE HAVE WITH THESE YOUNG SUPERPLAYER WITH AN OLD FART! WE DESTROYED OUR CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM TO GET AN OLD BROKEN-DOWN HAS-BEEN LIKE CHARLES BARKLEY...WHICH LEAD TO THE DECLINE OF HAKEEM AND THE RETIREMENT OF CLYDE. DON'T BELEAVE ME...CHECK OUT THE DREAM'S STATS AFTER "BUCKET ASS" GOT HERE. TEAMS THAT HAVE GREAT YOUNG TALENT ALWAYS "F" IT UP BY LOOKING FOR THAT "SAVVY VET" DON'T DO IT! THE ROCKETS SHOULD NOT TRADE FOR ANY PLAYER OVER 28...YOU DON'T NEED THEM. NO OLD PLAYER!

------------------

13. Band Geek Mobster

I'm surprised none of the "We need money for the 2003 Tim Duncan run" people have mentioned that Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace are both scheduled to be free agents when Rice's contract ends... [​IMG]

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

14. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Rumors sell papers, that's all. Mostly, they are self-gratifying like our Cato and Walt for LaFrenz type of thinking: take our problems for your future, please.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

B-Ball freak...i can tell you that the New York media (WFAN in particular, who is by far the most listened to and respected sports outlet in the tri-state area) ranks Hakeem 5th all time.

Every year ,without fail, some moron calls up the talk show and asks where Ewing ranks and the rankings go:

Wilt
    Russell
    Kareem
    Moses and Dream tied for 4th

------------------
    I'm off like a prom dress!!!

[This message has been edited by NJRocket (edited July 28, 2001).]

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Would we take on Rice if we could get Camby knowing he was now better prepared to handle the center spot?

This from bskball:

The Knicks inked Allan Houston to a mega-deal, they avoided their needs in the Draft, and they spent their big exception dollars on a player, they basically already have, now they are reported to be in the hunt for Hakeem Olajuwon, after basically sitting on their hands with Chris Webber. Is anyone else confused? Sources close to the Knicks, joke this a dart board season...put any of 20 scenarios on a dart board and toss...because anyone of them could happen. The Knicks have been linked to a number of serious talks, some include shipping out players like Latrell Sprewell and Marcus Camby, who some are saying added 20 pounds of bulk to his frame this summer.

Camby with twenty more pounds probably puts him at about 245/250. I'll believe it when I see it, but if we move Hakeem, Walt, and Mo (who looked into the Knicks last year; and the Knicks need another scorer), would we take on Rice to give T-Mo a couple years to develop?

------------------