1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice for Dream? Say it ain't so!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jul 27, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Rice? Yuck! The most interesting part of that article to me is:

The Rockets could have their choice of Al Harrington, Derrick McKey and Sam Perkins.

I would definitely consider taking Harrington. He's a young guy with alot of upside and a small contract right now. The rest of the players mentioned in possible sign-and-trades are standard fair, Cato-and-Walt package, junk.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

2. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I agree with dealing with NY, that if we could get Rice (or somebody else) that we could then ship off to a third team (hopefully for Raef, or other center), then that would be AWESOME for the Rockets.

Has anybody actually heard Rudy & Co. talk about Raef? or is that just a fantasy of us here on CLUTCH CITY!!!!

------------------

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

NJRocket -- thanks for staying on top of it. But I can't see Glen Rice being dealt to Houston at that salary. I'll never understand why the Knicks gave it to him. He pillaged them. Why would the Rockets use up valuable cap room to take on a rich man's Walt Williams? Who knows.... they may surprise me, but I doubt it.

I just think the rumor is funny because in a roundabout way, the Knicks would have dealt Ewing for Olajuwon.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

The article talked about New York's logjam at the 3. Houston is sort of in that situation as well. All we need is one that is way to overpaid, I agree that the Rockets would be better off just letting Dream walk than getting Rice. I doubt that any team would want his salary, and as active as N.Y. has been this off season you would think that if other teams are interested, N.Y. could have gotten rid of him already.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more Clutch. In a sense, the only reason that the Knicks took on Rice in a S&T was so they didn't lose Ewing for nothing.(although I do believe that Ewing may have had one yr left on his deal when he got shipped out) I just hope the Rockets don't make the same mistake that the Knicks did by taking on a ridiculous salary just to say that they got "something" for Dream.

------------------
    I'm off like a prom dress!!!

[This message has been edited by NJRocket (edited July 27, 2001).]

6. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Hey NJ ROcket, you're famous- they just read this post on 610. Anyways, I dont think the Rockets should take any other team's crap just so the other team can land Houston's 16 yr franchise player. They should demand Mihm and cap filler from cleveland, nothing from indiana, and camby from NY in a package deal.

------------------
    __ Ñ _ _ _
    /_ ______ _ \
    ÝÝÝÝl____| * |___ lÝÝÝÝ
    ¡,.-ñý¯Çi ¡,.-ñ~ñ~ñ-.,¡ `¯ýñ-.,

7. NJRocket

Are you serious? I better call Clutch and demand a hefty contract extension!!!!! I'm famous now!!!

------------------

8. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Why would we take Croshere and/or Harrington, or Rice in any deal?? [​IMG] they all play sf and we all know we have too many. what i would want is Keon Clark, who has the potential to be another Marcus Camby who blossomed only after leaving Toronto. If he and Cato were in the game at the same time, the other team would think twice about driving.

------------------
    What is the difference between Kelvin Cato and Macey Gray??

Macey has bigger hair

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Who would want this guy who is over payed and does'nt have a defense, plus besides, we have to many small forward and we have all the shooter we need.

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

11. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I love Dream But I would rather see him renouced and let him walk then take on Rice.
    No Rice PLEASE!!!!

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Once again, why are the Rockets targeting forwards in return for Olajuwon? There are already 2 sharpshooters on the roster like Rice in Bullard and Walt. And another SF in the rotation means less time for Griffin and Morris to develop.

If there is no way Dream can be re-signed, and cannot get Keon Clark, Camby in a package, or another decent center in return then we minus well just renounce him. Instead of having Rice take up that cap space for three more years, we could use it to re-sign our guys later and bring in free agents.

------------------
    Who needs teachers? I can learn my own self.

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Was the league source speaking to Insider, or to the NY Post? LOL.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

<font size="3" color="red">IT AIN'T SO!</font>

Good day.

------------------
    If the Rockets lose, then we all lose.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

..just a New York wet Dream.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

16. Eric

Eric Member

Hey everyone...

Drew_Le, props for recognizing Keon's skills. I think he would be a great addition to the team and I think he's not valuable enough to the Raptors to actually be a possibility. It's a little closer to reality than the prospect of getting Marcus Camby. If we did get Keon and some cap filler, I would like to see Keon gain about 50 lbs. I think he weighs like a buck 50 (sarcasm) and he's 6'11''. He does have good shot blocking ability, good hustle, and is a natural rebounder. I like his game and think it is very in-line with the Rocket's style. I hope everyone has a good Friday!

------------------
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I say no to Rice because of his salary. Besides, people think he will help against to zone but how many teams are going to play a zone? Not a lot of teams are playing it in the summer leagues.

------------------
    Stevierebel

18. NJRocket

WFAN in NY is now discussing this rumor. The feeling from NY fans is that if they could do this deal, Suzyn Waldman (WFAN) would personally drive Rice to the airport and pick up Hakeem.

This should show you how much Rice and his contract is wanted up here!!!

------------------

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

No way we take on Rice...it won't happen.
    I think the best deal out there that we know of is for Croshere. Every team has some baggage they would like to unload. Ours is Cato and Dream, Indiana's is Croshere, and Denver's is LaFrentz and Abdul Wahad...see what I'm getting at?

We trade Dream to Indiana, get Croshere and trade him for LaFrentz and filler.
    Denver would do this deal b/c it was rumored that Issel and Raef don't get along. They also don't have a consistent SF. I like Posey, but he has been too inconsistent and they did start playing him at the 2 towards the end of the year, so maybe they were considering that to be a permanent move.

Enough about Rice, he isn't coming to screw us the way Cato has.

------------------

20. Rockettebustier

This is the most ludicrous horsecrud of a trade offered so far. Hakeem needs to stop Fegan from cooking up these trade scenarios by kicking his ass out of the kitchen.

note to chef Fegan: These trade recipies suck and Carrol Dawson ain't blinking.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockettebustier (edited July 27, 2001).]