1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice for Dream? Say it ain't so!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jul 27, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/archive?sport=nbaThe Rockets and the agent for Hakeem Olajuwon, Dan Fegan, met in Salt Lake City Thursday to renew discussions about the re-signing of the Dream. Talks continue with the Rockets insisting they want Olajuwon to return.

However, sources close to the Rockets told ESPN Insider late Thursday night that the Rockets would entertain several intriguing trade scenarios if they can't come to terms with the Dream. Olajuwon, has rejected a two year, $8.5 million contract from Houston. Privately, team officials are concerned that he's determined to play somewhere else, especially if it's a contender.

The most interesting possibility has the Knicks sending forward Glen Rice to Houston for Olajuwon. Rice, who will make $8.8 million next season, was thought to be virtually untradeable a few months ago. However, the Rockets are still looking for outside shooters and feel Rice may be a good fit, especially after Eddie Griffin's rough start in the summer leagues.

Trading Rice for Olajuwon would allow the Knicks to remove a log jam at the small forward position and give them the big man they've been missing. However, the Knicks struggled with an aging Patrick Ewing? Would they be any better with an over-the-hill Dream?

The Pacers also are dangling players in return for Olajuwon. They would like to send forward Austin Croshere to Houston, but base-year compensation issues may make that very difficult because of the amount of salary the Pacers can take back in return. The Rockets could have their choice of Al Harrington, Derrick McKey and Sam Perkins.

The Cavs are dangling forward Lamond Murray, while the Jazz are said to be willing to part with Bryan Russell.

Of course, the Rockets would prefer just to re-sign Olajuwon.

Of the Rockets' negotiations with the Dream, Houston GM Carroll Dawson told the Houston Chronicle, "We're both encouraged because we're going to keep trying. I'm going to do some stuff and he's going to do some stuff, and we're going to get back together (today). We're trying to get it where both parties are happy, and that's all you do in negotiations."

Dawson said the focus of the talks was on re-signing Olajuwon, not about a possible sign-and-trade deal.

"We're not to that point yet," Dawson said. "We're still talking about getting him signed with the Rockets. That's the only thing I'm interested in."

The Rockets would give serious consideration to a Rice for Olajuwon swap, but may just decide to take the cap space and run.

"They would consider Rice, although he makes a ton of money," a league source told the New York Post. "They don't want it come to that though. And in most cases if they're going to take in that kind of money in a sign-and-trade, they'd rather just give it to Hakeem."

------------------
    I'm off like a prom dress!!!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Normal human beings can't access the insider so thanks for posting that NJRocket. I doubt Houston would take Rice over cap space, imagine Hakeem getting nearly 9 million! It would be insane seeing him in a Knicks jersey. Of all those offers I like Russell the most but cap space is just as nice. This Olajuwon situation has more twists and turns that the "Levy case".

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

3. NJRocket

I can't see the Rockets wanting to take on Rice's absurd salary. When I read it the 1st time, I thought the Pacers offer said Croshere AND either Mckey, Perkins or Harrington. I would gladly take Croshere and Harrington but apparently thats not the case. I have Knicks seasons tix so Id love to see him play here if it doesn't work out that he stays in Houston...but not at the cost of having to pay Rice 9 million a year for 3 more years.

I say...let him go and save the cap space for a rainy day!!!

------------------

4. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Would you do Williams and Olajuwon for Rice and another? Would you ship off Cato and Olajuwon for Camby and Rice? My point being would you S & T Olajuwon to get rid of another 6-7 mill off the books in Williams or Cato?

------------------

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Rice only has one year left on his contract right? I guess I could see it happening, but god I hope not! Rice is a great shooter but just what we need another offensive minded, no defensive playing player. And another SF to add to our logjam.

But I like the Pacers offer if we could get Croshere and possibly Harrington. I really think if we could get Croshere that we may possibly go with a 3 forward lineup (Mo-Croshere-Griff). We could definetely run, but obviously have match-up problems with Shaq. But noone can really guard him anyways.

6. NJRocket

DEFINITELY...I would take Camby and Rice in a heartbeat for Cato and Hakeem. However, I don;t think the Knicks are looking to tie up any more money than they alrady have in a guy like Cato. Maybe Walt is a possibility. I would certainly eat Rice's salary if it meant getting Camby. He's a little injury prone (ok , maybe more than a little) but who on the Rocket's front line isn't? With he and Eddie in the middle, we would lead the league in blocks hands down!

------------------

7. NJRocket

Rice has 3 years and 28.6 million left on his contract

------------------

8. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

ouch!!!

------------------

9. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

NY did not even want to part with Camby in a trade for Webber. Why would they give him up for Cato & Hakeem?

I think, like the article states, that Toronto is the front runner. If I were the Rocks I would not do a deal unless Keon Clark was involved (with the trade exception). Then trade the trade exception with CATOS butt to a team in need of the exception.

------------------

10. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

NY did not even want to part with Camby in a trade for Webber. Why would they give him up for Cato & Hakeem?

I think, like the article states, that Toronto is the front runner. If I were the Rocks I would not do a deal unless Keon Clark was involved (with the trade exception). Then trade the trade exception with CATOS butt to a team in need of the exception.

------------------

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Personally prefer Walt to Rice. He's nearly as good and is alot cheaper.

The Knicks would never include Camby in a package that included Cato and (IMHO) the Rockets would take Walt's expiring contract over 2 more seasons of Rice.

A lot of this "rumor" is just NY sportswriters massaging their egos.

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

12. Eric

Eric Member

I agree!! Rice would be a welcomed addition to our Rockets family if it meant getting a young, athletic center like Camby. He has offensive skills, he can rebound, and definately block shots. He is injury prone, but I see him playing more than 50 - 60 games a year, and I don't see Hakeem acomplishing that feat. But that's another reason why I don't see a Hakeem for Camby deal happening, but boy am I praying for it!!

More than anything I just want to get this thing over with. It would be so nice to just figure out what we're going to do with dream and get our whole free-agent situation solved. Well, here's to a quick resolution.

------------------
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

d*mn. That sounds like more than CATO MONEY

Rocket River

------------------

14. NJRocket

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"Rice has 3 years and 28.6 million left on his contract"

NJ- Thanks for the scoop. No way would I take on his salary unless it meant dumping Cato in the process.

I would love to get Camby but I agree it probably won't happen.

16. NJRocket

Whatever the case fellas, I'll be listening to the Mike and the Mad Dog show on WFAN New York all day at the office so I'll let you know if any news comes out of this part of the country!!!

------------------

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Ya think Denver would swap LaFrentz (along w/ Abdul-Wahad's salary) for Rice??

------------------

18. NJRocket

I don't think anyone in their right mind would trade for Rice at 9 million per season for 3 yrs left on his contract. Not even Mark Cuban.

------------------

19. Eric

Eric Member

I would LOVE to get Lafrentz. Actually I have to be honest here... I would love to get anyone with 6 years or less of NBA time and under 28 that has some athleticism and low post game.

I love the Dream and I always will. He's the one superstar from this city that was truly clutch, the only one that could deliver the goods.

I hope that sentimentality doesn't take over here though. If CD gets a good offer for a guy like Keon Clark (s & t w/ the Raptors), Marcus Camby, or Raef Lafrentz, I think he should jump on it as fast as he can. I'm sorry Dream, but its over... or it should be.

p.s. Saw E. Griffin last night and I think he's the real deal. I would like to see a little more emotion from him, but runnin' with Cat and Franchise should rub off on him in a good way.

------------------
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

20. Live

Live Member

Rice for Dream?!?!?

OH, HELL NOOOOOO!!!!

They would do better to just let him walk if that's true!

Oh wait a minute, I forgot this article is from ESPN. Whatever! [​IMG]

------------------