1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rex Grossman (did i spell that right?)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jan 7, 2002.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The thing about Rex is that he's so good, so young. His performance this season as a sophomore QB was as good as any upperclassman. Imagine the potential for improvement, given his age! The sky's the limit.

I think too much is made of QB draft picks not panning out. Quarterback is the most scrutinized position in sports - that's why we know all the stats about who has failed and who has succeeded. There are plenty of first round offensive linemen, wide receivers, running backs, and defensive players who have failed to live up to expectations in the NFL.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd take McKinnie and then draft Couch later. If Couch sucks you can draft a QB next year with the #1 pick, and move Couch to Defensive back. I wouldn't be upset if Grossman was picked first, but I think McKinnie is the pick that should be made. It's better to stink the first year and get a good draft the next.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

trade down and get peppers? peppers will be a top 3 pick (tho i doubt the tar heel will fall past carolina at #2), and any team looking to trade up to #1 will probably be doing so to draft... julius peppers.

well, imo, carr and harrington are much better prospects than brees, and i doubt either will slip into the second round.

that remains to be seen. the early word is that it'll be one of the weakest crops in its short history.

the upside is that several OL should be available, including some young, up-and-coming tackles.

hardy's a distinct possibilty.

you lost me... 1) rob johnson is immobile and made of glass -- he was bludgeoned this year in buffalo behind an awful OL -- houston's line likely won't be any better. he'd be a major mistake; 2) shaun king? as in tampa's back-up qb, shaun king? apparently, he wants to stay with dungy and i doubt he'd be thrilled about moving to WR...

the WR free agent crop will be almost entirely devoid of talent. i think az-hakim is, at this stage, the best one likely to be available, and he's maybe a second receiver at best, likely a third. terry glenn will be exposed and/or released, and he has talent, but he's a headache, and the texans would be wise to steer clear. after that... yikes.

4. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Cris Carter is a free Agent

and also i meant Shaun King as the Qb of Texans

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...what about King as QB??? I thought about that last night....think the Bucs will leave him unprotected?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there any tangable indications as to the offense? I assume that Capers would prefer a smashmouth running game with it's traditional vertical pocket passing component. I also believe that Palmer ran a west coast-ish offense for Cleveland, did he not?

I think it might shed a bit more light, at least for me, as to whom they might pick up/draft for QB.

Also, while we're on it, I seem to remember what seemed to be a clear statement by Capers that a 4-3 was a possibility for the D, yet every commentary I see seems to say that he's going to definately run a 3-4. Anybody have any clear info/indications on this?

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Carter made it abundantly clear last night on MNF that he wants to win. There's a snowball's chance of hell that he'll consider playing for an expansion team at this point in his career.

I say we take McKinnie or Peppers this year, get a serviceable QB, and ride the season out. With a high pick next year, we'll get a possible crack at Eli Manning, Ken Dorsey, Rex Grossman (is he staying?), Michael Vick's younger brother, or (groan) Chris Simms next year.

Michael Westbrook is an unrestricted free agent this year and wants to leave Washington. Would he be worth the money?

Also, I hear Jacksonville is thinking of leaving Keenan McCardell exposed in the expansion draft. I happen to like him, even though he had a mediocre year.

8. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

ya the Jags are giving up McCardell (dumbasses) he had a mediocore year cuz brunell was sacked like 59 times(LoL)

9. Hey Now!

hodgepodge....

yeah...what about King as QB??? I thought about that last night....think the Bucs will leave him unprotected?
    the tv guys last night, fwiw, said king wanted to stay in TB and play for dungy. i doubt they'd leave him unprotected -- he'd have some trade value and i doubt he makes much money.

Is there any tangable indications as to the offense? I assume that Capers would prefer a smashmouth running game with it's traditional vertical pocket passing component. I also believe that Palmer ran a west coast-ish offense for Cleveland, did he not?

I think it might shed a bit more light, at least for me, as to whom they might pick up/draft for QB.

hopefully, they'll find talent first, scheme second, and that goes for both sides of the ball. to this point, there's been no indication of an offensive preference.

Also, while we're on it, I seem to remember what seemed to be a clear statement by Capers that a 4-3 was a possibility for the D, yet every commentary I see seems to say that he's going to definately run a 3-4. Anybody have any clear info/indications on this?
    capers was quoted as saying he'd prefer to run a 3-4. again, hopefully, he'll draft talent first, and find a scheme to fit the talent later. but the rumor is that his 3-4 preference is one of the reasons the team has cooled on peppers -- he's not an ideal fit for it. i hope that's not true, 'cause that would suck.

Michael Westbrook is an unrestricted free agent this year and wants to leave Washington. Would he be worth the money?
    the guy who punched out his teammate and rates as one of casserly's biggest busts? i wouldn't sign him if i owned the cowboys, but, he was casserly's pick, and he might be tempted to give westbrook another chance to pan out... i hope not.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

vecsey, Vick's younger bro is still in high school. So, it will be at least 3 years until he's available, and I think Young will be the better prospect.

Keenan lives in Houston. Interesting.......

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Oops. I thought he was entering college now. Hell, let's draft him anyway...

I didn't know Keenan lived in Houston. That is intriguing...

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Vick's brother is currently a high school senior. Earliest he can declare is for the 2004 Draft.

Doesn't the NFL require players to wait until after their sophomore year in college to declare? I don't know if a redshirt year counts.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Players have to wait until three years after their high school class graduates to declare for the draft.

Of course, unless Tampa gets to the Super Bowl, King may have to decide between playing in Tampa OR playing for Dungy. Either way, if its possible, I wouldn't mind picking King up, I know he has some talent.

There are - in fact, the vast majority of first round recievers picked fail to measure up to their draft status - thats why teams like to draft linemen in the first round, and this trend(I feel) will become more prevelant over time.

If a first round lineman doesn't really pan out, you've still got a serviceable player, I mean, there isn't as much to worry about at lineman as there is at WR. If a WR or QB(and to a lesser extent RB) bombs, that player is generally worthless. Its a risk-reward type situation, greater risk, but far greater reward.

14. Band Geek Mobster

What's the latest info on Chad Hutchinson signing?

Maybe he could develop into something special and save us time on having to draft a franchise QB.

15. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I'm somewhat puzzled by Casserly's remarks about the "star" quarterback aspect of a winning SuperBowl team. Didn't the skins win with different quarterbacks-- none of whom were stars.

Doug Williams. Who else? Theismann? Rypien?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rich --- i didn't hear him say that you had to have a star QB to win a super bowl...what I heard him say was that there are fewer star QB's in the league than there are star/great OL.

17. Nomar

Nomar Member

Defense first. Get McKinnie, then build defense. Cornerbacks especially. If there were a draft of all the players in the NFL, my first two picks would be Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson.

18. Hey Now!

interesting (and confounding) question... any player in the nfl? i certainly wouldn't quibble with woodson being one of the nfl's very best, but my first pick? over favre? warner? faulk? ogden? allen? lewis? strahan? i don't know if i would... (assuming all things are equal). CB's are easier to negate -- don't throw at them and they become non-factors.

19. Nomar

Nomar Member

True Ric. But what happens if you have Woodson AND Bailey. Things become more complicated. I cant recall a team with 2 shut-down corners.

20. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Ok, thats the dumbest thing
    to draft 2 top CB's over a guy like Strahan, Ray Lewis, urlacher

you can find awsome CB's later

Keenan McCardell lives in jacksonville