1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rex Grossman (did i spell that right?)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jan 7, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

word is he's on vacation with his dad and is reconsidering entering the NFL draft based on who the Gators hire to replace Spurrier!!

if he goes to the NFL this year, my bet is he'd be the Texans first pick...thoughts??

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought he had to wait one more year.

3. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

No they will not select Grossman 1st pick

when you build a franchise, you start with O-Line, so they take McKinnie and take Harrington 2nd rd

4. MadMax

franchise -- while i would like the Texans to take an o-lineman, i'm not convinced they will. apparently neither is SI writer, Peter King, who has them picking David Carr. Oh, yeah..and John McLain said this morning he thought the Texans would take Carr.

5. Major

Major Member

He's a red-shirt sophomore, so he can come out this year. Maybe Spurrier will draft him. :D This year, he had the highest QB rating EVER for a college QB since they started measuring that stat (I don't know when that was).

6. MadMax

rocketman -- i don't know...just heard it on the radio

7. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Peter King is a Jack ass

Chris Carr #1? nope, its not happening, McKinnie is going #1

8. Scarsdale_Tn

Scarsdale_Tn Member

I'd like to see them take McKinney with the first pick, or trade down and get another 1st rounder. QB with a later pick, but not the first one.

Just my opinion.

9. MadMax

chris carr might not go #1...but DAVE carr has a real chance! ;)

10. Major

Major Member

Didn't the Browns start with Tim Couch? Not that there's only one way to do it, but at least some GMs out there start with the QB.

11. MadMax

yeah..and didn't the panthers start with kerry collins?? am i wrong on that one??

if rex becomes what i think he'll become, he's worth spending a first pick on...i'm not sure about carr...that one seems a bit more iffy to me!

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'd draft McKinnie # 1 and Harrington later in the draft. I'd rather have Harrington over Carr or Grossman.

I don't want to pass on a Plummer for a Druckenmiller. Not saying Carr and Grossman are gonna suck, but I think the Fiesta Bowl had sold me on Harrington as a leader.

#12 Smokey, Jan 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2002
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

God I hope Rex doesn't go to the NFL. If he does, Berlin may not transfer to Miami. If Brock doesn't go through with the transfer, the Canes are back in the picture for Vincent Young. Rex isn't near ready, anyway.

BTW, I'd rather have Joey Harrington than either Carr or Grossman. Harrington has good size, arm strength, decision making, and he just finds ways to win when it counts. Yeah, sometimes he does some things like throwing off his back foot, but so does Brett Favre. The key is, like Brett, he is a winner, and finds a way to win close games. Mel Kiper, ESPN's draft analyst, says Harrington is now ahead of Carr and actually third overall on his draft board, and also said he could go #1. Imho, Houston can trade down to about 4 and pick him up. Julius Peppers, skill-wise, is hands down the best player in the draft, and could play DE or LB. Buffalo would love to have that kind of a player. The next two teams, Detroit and Carolina, both have young quarterbacks that they seem committed to in Macmahon and Weinke. Plus, both have lots of holes on both the offensive and defensive lines, so McKinnie and John Henderson would fit there.

Also, franchise is a Jaguars fan, so that might explain his idea of starting with an OL. :)

14. MadMax

i think harrington would be gone by the time the texans got to use their second pick in the draft...but i don't disagree with taking mckinnie.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I really hope the Texans do the right thing and draft McKinnie.

Does anyone here REALLY know if the Texans can or cannot trade the #1 pick?

If the Texans trade down for a QB, in the 1st round I wouldn't mind.

But, I wouldn't spend the #1 overall pick on any of these QBs this year.

16. MadMax

yes..they can trade the #1 pick...i think that's probably the smartest thing to do...unless rex comes out..then i'm not so sure

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no, you're not, but a) they traded down to get him, and b) they built a team, thru free agency, that was veteran heavy. houston won't have that luxury. and, fyi, collins almost single-handedly sunk the franchise.

i have two words for you: "danny" and "wuerfuel" -- gator QB's, hell, gator offensive skill players period, tend to be nothing more than prodcuts of a terrific college system.

and thus, few would share your enthusiasm for grossman, in terms of first overall pick. if he comes out (doubtful), he'd likely go after carr and probably after harrington.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they can do whatever they want with the pick.

19. MadMax

ric -- glad you're here...always respect your opinion on football.

i think rex is different than other gators QB's of the past...apparently NFL scouts agree with me

20. haven

haven Member

O-line is a good, safe pick at the #1. But if there's a franchise QB available, you'd be a fool not to take him.

Grossman seems excellent, even though his delivery seems a bit funky to me.