1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reverse Function Keys

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Dec 12, 2013.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Ok, I figured I would go ahead and ask this here.

I've got a new Asus laptop and would like to reverse the function keys so that I don't have to press FN every time I want to adjust the volume or brightness.

I Googled, and it said to press F2 on startup to enter the BIOS and change it somehow, but I continually pressed it without success.

Could anyone offer a solution, please? Thanks!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

3. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Huh, I'm pressing them simultaneously and continually right after I press power button and it didn't work. Weird

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Ok I was able to find the manual online and it says to press the F2 key. Not working for some reason.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's usually a bios setting. If not, go to control panel and then keyboard... but 9/10 times its a bios thing.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

With that said, are you at the latest bios or does it need an update?

8. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

No compatibility for 8.1 apparently.
    I'm not sure, to be honest. Didn't think it mattered. Check the control panel, and it didn't seem like I could adjust it from there. I've tried pressing F2, F2+ALT, DEL, SHIFT+F2 and none of that worked. The manual I read online said F2 should work to enter BIOS but it isn't.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

on a related note..this thread made me aware that i can swap my FN key with CTRL on my work Lenovo..whew. who the fk put the FN in the left corner??

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Can anyone help? Is there any other way to enter the BIOS since the F2 on startup isn't working?

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Your F2 key doesn't work. :eek:

Buy another laptop, bring THAT F2 key to this laptop. ;)

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

It definitely works. Grr this is frustrating. :(

13. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

It depends...the button to press can be different for any computer. On mine, it's delete, for instance.

Just restart your computer and look for something that says "Press (X) to enter setup" or something along those lines. It'll probably only show for a brief second. Another thing to consider is there's just a tiny window during boot where pressing whatever button it is actually works. So on mine, where it's delete, I restart the computer and keep hitting delete rapidly until it goes into BIOS.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing f2 isn't your bios starter. When you start the computer and it begins to post (the first screen during startup) there should be some text that will tell you keys to press for certain functions. Look at that and see what it says. Some computers have a screen that hides this so you may have press something like tab to see the actual posting screen. You may have to restart the computer a few times to see everything. Some of them go fast. One of the text should say the key to press for bios or CMOS. That should open up your settings.

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Ok, I was able to enter the BIOS after I held the power button down to shut down rather than a normal shut down. However, I wasn't able to find anything to reverse the function keys.