1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resigning while boss is out of the country

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kevC, Jul 20, 2016.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Need some advice brehs. I got a dream job offer that wants me to start ASAP. My boss is on vacation in Turkey and is stuck there because of the coup. I want to give a two weeks notice, but it can't happen in person to my boss given the time frame. What should I do? I'm salaried and "at will" so technically I don't have to give a long lead notice, but realistically I do need a few weeks to wrap up my current projects or hand them off to a colleague.

1) Give my resignation notice to my boss over email but give 2+ weeks notice.

2) Wait till he comes back to tell in person but it would be a very short notice.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Skype or conference call?

Otherwise I say email is fine. Just explain you wish you could do it in person

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't think you should feel constrained because your boss is on vacation. I think an email is fine given the circumstance.

Congrats on landing the dream job!

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Wait until he comes back and explain the situation, emphasizing your desire to complete your projects before leaving or forcing him to stress about realignment while abroad. I wouldn't give a manager that kind of information to act on while he's off-site; you'll have a disjointed chain of command, when people come over and box you out of projects on the boss's purported orders, you won't be able to verify it; and if they're lying you could set yourself up for a premature termination based on non-performance. Half of your co-workers have been betting on or rooting for your failure, if not directly working towards it; don't put any extra chum in those waters.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Thanks! Yeah, but I feel bad because he's actually a Turkish guy visiting home and is stuck there because of the coup. He was suppose to be back this week. I feel bad for giving him bad news while he's stuck in his home country that's going to sht, but I guess I have to look out for myself.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ehh, not really that kind of work environment. Our group is a very specialized group in the company and my boss actually reports to the CEO. I myself am a manager-level employee (although I have no one under me). I just feel bad not being able to tell him in person, but earlier the company knows, the better. If I were to tell my boss over email, I'd also go to the CEO and probably the HR Director in person to notify them as well.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree with the general sentiment -- do it by email and communicate your regret that you couldn't do it in person because of his absence. Assuming he is also an employee and not the owner, he'll understand your position and would be doing the exact same thing in your shoes.

Regarding pouhe's concern about getting boxed out, I don't see the concern. If I have an offer in hand, I don't care if my soon-to-be-ex-coworkers want to do my work for me. I'd just surf cf.net all day for my last 2 weeks and show up to my dream job rested and ready to roll.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Email is fine, you don't owe them anything. No one will hold a grudge, he will understand.

DD

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I mean it's a tough situation over there, but at the same time the sooner the better for you, and your current company/boss to know for backfill etc (I mean you don't want to burn bridges, if they treated you well so sooner the better, never know if it's a tight field if you'll see these guys again), so I agree on email being okay at minimum and maybe offer a call/video chat.

And if new job is everything you wanted, as DD said you don't owe them losing that to make them happy, especially since in the end it's about your success. Hell if there were cutbacks they wouldn't worry about cutting you (well most companies).

The only time stuff like this gets hard is if you're part owner or something and trying to split/break up Co, haha, that's when it's a mess because then you're changing a lot of things up. 2 weeks is perfect though, and congratulations on new spot, I hope it's everything you wanted!

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This, exactly... Now... What if you're already surfing CF a lot at work??? Lol, asking for a friend....

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm stuck in Turkey right now as well. Is your name Kevin?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Imagine if his boss is the one who got the dream job, and was planning to give 2 weeks notice to the CEO when he got back from vacation, but now is stuck in Turkey and can't return to work ... "convenient excuse" they might say

kevC should feel fortunate he's not on vacation in Turkey...and get back to work. ;)

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Congrats! Like others have said, email should be fine, it's not that you're avoiding doing the right thing, it's just the circumstances. 2 weeks via email is more than adequate.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

You do what is best for your family!.. Period

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

My fortune telling ability says that his name is Kevin, I am also sensing that his last name begins with a C.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Email cc'ing the HR Director should be fine. I can't say he will or won't hold a grudge but it's irrelevant anyway. Give the notice and continue to work just as hard as you would've prior.

Congrats on the new gig.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He sounds a lot like me. ;)

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Congrats, what's your new job breh?

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Can you not at least give him a courtesy phone call or Skype with him?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And my nickname is a shortened version of my last name starting with a "C" -- :cool: