1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Required Reading for Internet GMs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Apr 12, 2023.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

While certainly not earth shattering information, I think this is a good article that might spur on some conversation as we approach a very important offseason. While decisions made in the next few months will define the Rockets for the next few years, there is bound to be many slow news days where there isnt much to talk about. Hopefully this thread can fill that space. IDK, I like the metaphor and it makes a lot of sense to me.

https://theboxandone.substack.com/p...anizational culture, leadership and stability.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nice thread.

“For successful team-building, the foundation needs to be the organizational culture, leadership and stability“

I think we have a long way to go on the first Pillar (let alone 2 &3). In fact, this article depresses me because of how far away we actually are in rebuilding the right way after 3 years of sucking.

don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. But the Rockets first title was won by a rookie owner and led by a coach in his second full season on the job. So you can build that foundation on the fly, its possible.

Although, lets face it, Hakeem was the foundation, pillars, furnishing and land scaping of that squad.

#3 sydmill, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That happens overnight with a quality coach.

Culture isn't hard to set, you just need accountability and the kids will fall in line. If they don't you smack em down to the bench until they do......they will get the message.

DD

HardenReturns and Aruba77 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I liked the article . Disagreed with some of it . There seems to be a devotion to spacing that I think is unwarranted

He talks about spacing but then , when listing ways to create space he says things like “surrounding a prolific post threat” and so and so .

I think it’s even simpler than that and the nba is a make or miss league . Variance still applies . And of course defenses can either contest well or not contest .

if your team is getting blown off the court and giving up open layups and not getting open shots on the other end … I don’t think it’s because you have a lack of spacing . It’s because your players either suck or you coach sucks . Or maybe you are tired that night

his conclusion is also a little too open for me.

If I apply his analysis however , I don’t think the rockets have any pillars . Maybe a potential one or two and I’d argue that the foundation is not stable . Green can make space using his speed and shot making , but it’s inconsistent and he doesn’t bring anything else . Sengun also brings spacing through scoring and passing , but is also still not an all-star caliber player .

I have no idea what the rockets are trying to build .

We have been all in on the “young talent” section . But need culture , vets, and stars .

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The foundation was set before Les became the owner. There is no doubt that Hakeem was the heart, soul and the superstar of the team.

ramotadab, waytookrzy079 and Aruba77 like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a nerdy GM that undermines the coaches and coddles the star player.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And one that won't lie about caring about their family just to get out of a contract.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like the talent on this team from a developmental standpoint. I think a really good GM and really good coach could mold Sengun, Jabari, Green, Tari and even KPJ into a very nice core that’s competitive in a couple years. Of course roles would have to change and fit would take ongoing adjustments. We’d need to add shooters and get a lot better defensively. But including a possible top 4 pick this year, we certainly have the young talent u are looking for in a rebuild.

can we hit on that star? Can we mold one out of the prospects we have? Will star 2 and 3 emerge. What kind of star will we had in FA and can they be a long term pillar that stays with the org and fits our timeline?

it seems to me we have to:

1). Hit on the right coach
    2). Hit on our draft pick
    3). Consolidate our prospects and other assets into a core piece.
    4). Add a star vet in FA who fits our timeline and embodies good culture
    5). Add other good culture vets that address shooting and defense
    6). Somewhere in all of these moves we must get a starting PG.

If we do these things we’ll be on the right trajectory and Stone will have built up some trust.

saleem, ramotadab and don grahamleone like this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Is this the official submit your resume to be the Rockets GM thread?

Cuz I’m in. Pick me.

sydmill likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Pillars?!?...we don't need no stinking Pillars!!!
    Vamanos muchacos

1) 3 to 4 decent facilitators that draw extra defenders.

2) multiple good 3-pt shooters of near 40% or better.

3) wings....Wings......WINGS
    Switch everything defensively.

ramotadab and don grahamleone like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Rudy T and Carroll Dawson had been with the Rockets for years before Les Alexander took over the organization. Also a lot of the players were veterans.

Having said that, YES it can be installed fairly quickly with the right pieces.

Aruba77, heypartner and Stephen_A like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It almost always takes more than a coach.

The front office, coaching staff and most of the players need to be on the same page and accountability and philosophy needs to be something that is universal from the top down.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Coaching is but one piece. I have said it before that core players need to mature at the right time together to play at a certain level together as one. And the combinations need to compliment one another filling voids or weaknesses or enhancing one another. And the coaching staff need to implement a plan that maximizes their strengths and potential and management need to get players to fit the scheme. It all comes together and it’s pretty difficult to be successful and it takes a lot of work. This could take several years to build a contender like the Suns and Kings.

Nook likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, that one was still much better than this Stone dude, however flawed he had been.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, but the team was in total turmoil and about to trade Olajuwon away for scraps only 1 year before the start of the first championship season. “Culture” is something that can change quickly due to seemingly small events.

Think of the 90s Sacramento Kings before the Webber trade. Likewise the “Process” Sixers were a complete disaster for years, until suddenly they weren’t. Same with the early 10s Thunder. When the right mix of talent comes together and starts clicking, “culture” magically improves overnight.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think that the kids seem to want to buy in to something so the right coach and a couple of vets I think could quickly get the organization on the right track.

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Culture is something that is built over time. That's never ever going to change.

There's no such thing as Culture on a team appearing overnight

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think there is cohesion and there is camaraderie, when the majority get on well.

But you do not need them getting along well, just need them to be on the same page.

Being friends is just the cherry on top.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don’t know about the culture overnight thing. In 2017, we went from a team designed to beat you with hot three point shooting to a defense wins games mentality the second we signed PJ Tucker, CP3 and Luc. Trevor and Capellla were already playing defense and Harden just had to buy in to make that work. We kept our head coach, got a defensive coach and boom: best team in the league all based on defense. Before that offseason we were a three point offensive team. Culture kind of turned around in one summer.

HardenReturns and heypartner like this.