1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Request for help - Chicago Cubs PA announcer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lar, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

Hi all,

I've been a member here quite awhile, posting very infrequently. I did want to come out of 'lurk' mode to start this thread; one of my close relatives is in the running for the Chicago Cubs PA announcer position. He is a lifelong Cubs fan and has been the PA announcer for the Triple-A Reno Aces; being the PA announcer for the Cubs would be basically his dream job.

From what I understand one of the requirements is to create a YouTube audition video for the position which is to be evaluated tomorrow (Monday). Obviously the more hits/"likes" the better it would look for his audition, which is why I wanted to ask of my fellow ClutchFans denizens with two minutes to spare to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRSFMC00_kE

If you have a moment to view and are so inclined, a "like" for the video would be greatly appreciated on his behalf. Thanks so much!

(Mods, if this is in any way in violation of board policy, then I apologize and please remove.)

1 person likes this.
  2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

wow... great video. Great voice as well. Wish him luck and I "liked" the video! :cool:

1 person likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Done -- good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Done, hope he gets it!

1 person likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Is anybody else torn that this is in support of a Cubs fan?

1 person likes this.
  6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Wrigley Field and its frequenters are what's wrong with Chicago.

Cubs suck.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, I kinda do, but it's not like he's the one striking out Carlos Lee.

8. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I hate the cubs, their fans, and their PA announcer!

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the Cubs.

But I remember being in college and going to an Astros-Cubs game, sitting in the right field bleachers on an awesome sunny 65 degree day, drinking too much beer, and heckling the Cubs fans (who'd also had too much beer) who in turn heckled me right back in good fun without getting angry.

The ballpark is a moldering antique dump, but the experience was kind of fun, and much more laid back than some of the Astros or Cardinals home games I've gone to.

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

That's because everyone at Wrigley Field just goes there to be seen and get drunk. It's the fashionable thing to do if you're part of the post-frat boy/sorority girl-scene on the North Side of Chicago.

None of them are real fans.

That's one thing I respect about the White Sox at least - they have real fans.

11. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

F the cubs.

Good Luck to your friend.

1 person likes this.
  12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Done, I hope he brings the Cubs many more years of bad luck.;)

1 person likes this.
  13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I hope they make a new stadium. Sure its legendary but it looks like a pieceof ****. I saw undercover boss the other day.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I posted a positive comment and wish him good luck. That said a Houston board is not the place to be asking for help regarding the Cubs.

1 person likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that was my experience EXACTLY when i went to wrigley. i found it to be completely disappointing. no one even heckled me for wearing a 'stros cap to the game.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

try that in yankee stadium. but...
    everyone saying wrigley is a dump and they need a new stadium is crazy. the new yankee stadium is sad. yankee fans are the best in the world, no doubt, but the new corporate mall environment sucks. i used to sit in the bleachers of the old stadim back in the day. i think tickets were less than $10 and the fans were rabid. anyone wearing gear from another team was in for some viscious heckling. nowadays, tame and lame.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got heckled quite a bit when I was there for Biggio's last game. Then again I was also carrying a sign. The heckling though was pretty good natured and the Cubs fans were overall pretty friendly. Had a great time hanging out in Wrigleyville too.

What is interesting was the next day I went up to Miller Park and the Brewers' fans were ruder. Someone even threw a bottle (one of those plastic Miller Lite bottles it wasn't close to hitting me) at me when I was cheering Biggio hitting an RBI double. A friend of mine from Wisconsin who has been to a few Brewers' games said the drunk tank at Miller Park is almost always full on game day.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Done. Good luck to your relative. Hope he lands the job. The voice is one I can picture announcing the Cubbies.
    No. The end result is the announcer, who will have nothing to do with our players' bats or ability to strike out a Cub. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ok, but then I got curious and started watching others:

I think this guy was pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MveMBjACjw

Your relative seems to have the best credentials out of the ones I've seen so far.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

and what will happen? when i was openly rooting for the rangers while wearing my astros hat my one and only trip to yankee stadium, either the fans around me didn't care or they were too scared of this strapping young texan to say anything about it. :cool: