1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Rationality

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dubious, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This thread is to counter the Republican Nuttery thread. People should post examples of rational, substantive statements made by Republicans to show that their party is not just a smokescreen and sockpuppets run by lawyers and lobbyist aimed at riling up low information voters to maintain capitalist power. Because as I live here in the 21st century, I just can't believe all the crap I see that passes for statesmanship, oratory, and advanced thinking is all there is.

What won't impress me is rehashed critiques from Chaney, McCain, Greenspan, Krugman and Netanyahu...people who have made definitively, proven wrong statements for 20 years but still talk like their opinion has value. How many times can you be just dead wrong before you lose you right to speak?

Anyway, post away...

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I just wanted to point out that this also describes the Democratic party (except for maybe the low information voter part).

3. Dubious

Bernie Sanders (I), Al Franken, Elizabeth Warren, Corey Booker, John Lewis et. al., say you mistaken in your impression. But it's not a lock-step party.

please post inciteful republican statements.

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Alright, sorry -- you're right, I shouldn't have done anything that may have derailed your thread -- I just couldn't let the statement I quoted pass without pointing out that the Democratic party is just as much controlled by lobbyists and special interests in the name of maintaining capitalist power as the Republicans.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

David Simpson, a Republican state rep, just introduced a bill to legalize pot here. I definitely was not expecting that anytime soon here. It probably won't pass but it is a step in the right direction.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It sort of sounds like Jumbo Shrimp to me.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, this is the first thing that popped into my head.

8. Buck Turgidson

Yep, he's channeling his inner Peter Tosh. "Everything that God made is good, even mar1juana."

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Former Senate Minority Leader, the late Everett Dirksen, probably my favorite Republican and crucial to getting the Civil Rights Bill passed.

On Being a Republican

"I do not know whether I am a liberal. I think I am a garden variety conservative. If I remember my Latin, I think the word ‘liberal' was derived from the word ‘liver,' meaning free, and the suffix ‘al' means ‘pertaining to.' So the word ‘liberal' means pertaining to freedom. If that is it, I am a genuine, unmitigated, unreconstructed, unregenerated, 100-percent, dyed-in-the-wool liberal, in the sense of my devotion to freedom, and that means the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and everything else that is the embodiment of the principles of freedom."

[Congressional Record, February 17, 1960. In debate on civil rights bill (S2526)]

http://www.everettdirksen.name/print_emd_quotes.htm

10. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Just kidding, reddit reports that it is just a ploy for votes and has no chance. I can't link it because it is blocked on my work PC.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

....and people wonder if we have a left-leaning bbs?

HA!

13. Major

Major Member

14. Dubious

We have a lot of conservatives but none have posted any examples yet.
    Feel free to be the first.

Just news item or speech where a republican makes a rational point or shows some statesmanship or inciteful thinking.
    If we weren't talking about contemporary politicians I could fine 10 Goldwater quotes that make sense.

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
    Barry Goldwater

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
    Barry Goldwater

Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes- and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?
    Barry Goldwater

The mind is no match with the heart in persuasion; constitutionality is no match with compassion.
    Everett Dirksen

I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.
    Everett Dirksen

You can't just have slogans, you can't just have catchy phrases. You have to have an agenda. And I think what the Republican Party has to do, if it's going to incorporate the tea party efforts in it, is to come up with an agenda that the American people can see, touch, and actually believe in, and something they believe in.
    Colin Powell

History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap.
    Ronald Reagan

#14 Dubious, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Give us some examples, texxx. I supplied one from a man I admire very much, who happens to have been a Republican. A very powerful Republican. Dubious supplied several others. Surely you can give us some more. Rationality isn't a curse, reticence isn't always a virtue.

16. bigtexxx

You guys are hilarious. Over half the Senate and House are made up of democratically elected Republicans and you're challenging these folks to prove they're rational?

Seems to me the democrats show have the burden of proof, given how soundly their policies were routed during the most recent election!

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, IOW, you got tired trying to find one. It's a daunting feat, I don't blame you for giving up either.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised. I didn't realize that you had a problem with reading comprehension. You truly have no interest in discussing the topic, a topic that one might assume would provide you with the chance to quote some of your favorite Republicans. You truly can't leave your sole purpose in D&D, can you, texxx. You have no interest in discussion. You only have an interest in disruption. I pity you. With all due respect, it must be difficult being you.

19. bigtexxx

The frustration is all yours! I'm laughing at you.

This thread is the pinnacle of hilarity. Frustrated liberals trying to get Republicans to justify that they're rational. Then the liberals get their panties in a bunch when the Republicans aren't tripping over themselves to bow to the liberals' wishes? Color me shocked!

Thanks for the laugh, though!

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised. I didn't realize that you had a problem with reading comprehension. You truly have no interest in discussing the topic, a topic that one might assume would provide you with the chance to quote some of your favorite Republicans. You truly can't leave your sole purpose in D&D, can you, texxx. You have no interest in discussion. You only have an interest in disruption. I pity you. With all due respect, it must be difficult being you.