1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replacing Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, May 29, 2018.

1. Asian Sensation

I love CC as much as anybody on this forum but the potential of losing him is real. As if his market value weren’t high enough at the conclusion of the regular season his Post season play overall despite some struggles against GSW will make it very difficult IMO to retain him. There are many things to consider in dealing with the Capela situation. Someone will offer him the Max (not us) and he’ll have multiple $100+ million dollar offers (one of them may be us). The days of being a “$12 Millio dollar man” or even $15-17 Million dollar man are long gone.

Is he worth that much to somebody? To us? What can we afford to pay him? Will he accept our offer?

We already know all the good Clint brings so I won’t rehash too much (youth, finishes around hoop, good at pick & roll, defends, protects the paint, don’t have to design plays for him, improved every year) but the biggest question for me is how much did he benefit from having Harden and CP3 spoon feed him easy bucket after bucket? Would he be as successful say on the Suns or Mavs? Speaking of the Suns and Mavs they have 2 terrific potential Capela replacements for us that can do a lot of the similar things (protect the rim, finish at the rim and for a FRACTION of what Capela will command.

Alex Len. I’m still high on this guy and I feel he wasn’t properly utilized in PHX or got a fair shake. He’s a goner for sure whether the Suns draft Ayton or pay Capela. A former number 5 overall pick. Legit mobile 7’1 big man that put up 8.5/7.5 and 1 block at 20 mpg despite inconsistent run. Sometimes he would go multiple games with DNPs.

He can run the floor well, moves without ball on offense, finishes strong at the rim and defensively his size alone is a factor in the paint. Bonus .... in the 5 years he’s been in the league he’s shot FT’s at about a 70% clip. He’ll just turn 25 in a couple weeks. I think the going rate for him will be about $6-8M per year.

Nerlens Noel.
    Former #6 overall pick he’s shown flashes his first couple years and when given minutes but overal he has had a random career thus far filled with injuries, inconsistent minutes/PT but he’s high energy, finishes around the rim and protects the rim. The 3 biggest things we need and require from our 5 spot. He’s quicker and more athletic than clint (IMO). Obviously Clint is the superior player but I think if Noel gets a consistent 28 MPG with CP3 and Harden providing the same opportunities that Clint got he could be a real gem. Especially at the going rate for him. I think he’ll be lucky to get 4-5 Million a year.

Again, I hate to lose Capela but he deserves (first big money deal) whatever giant contract some team will inevitably pay him. We need to figure out a way to re-sign CP3 and find value/bargain deals if we want to hang on to the possibility of a Lebron, PG13 etc.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure what approach or tact the organization will take.

Certainly I wouldn't expect Noel to replace CC.

BUT... to the extent Clint is about to get a max offer or similar, the Rockets don't really want to match, but might and could therefore get some assets back in a sign and trade...

Then Nerlens is definitely someone to look at...

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither of those guys are even remotely close to being as good as capela. alex len is complete garbage. noel is too worried about his food during games and gets hurt

4. realonemo

realonemo Member

Can Noel shoot FTs ?

5. Asian Sensation

Not necessarily disputing that but the point is neither of those guys will get paid remotely close to what Capela will get paid. I wouldn’t be so quick to write them off either. They have the potential and skill sets to be valuable pieces for us.

What it boils down to is do we pay Capela around $20 Million per year or one of those guys around $4-8 Million per year while adding/improving other positions, depth etc.

6. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i get the part about bargain players but theres only so far you can go with that. Do i think capela is worth max? nope. and i dont expect him to be paid max. never did.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

tl;dr but no

iJHolmes and Rocket River like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

Capela isn't what makes or breaks our chances.

He is basically no help against GSW. Sign a veteran Center for the minimum and use him and Nene.

I'd let him go if someone was throwing a max at him..

Thanks for the service bro

ApacheWarrior and lw17 like this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'd let CP3 walk before I let Capela walk.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where was this in the playoffs?

12. Asian Sensation

As if the Mavs didn’t have a need... Cuban will throw a max or damn near it just to spite us. He offered the max to DJ a few years ago so I don’t see why he wouldn’t to Capela.

slothy420 likes this.
  13. macan

macan Member

pretty sure DJ is willing to come at a discount.
    heard this from many sources in here a few months ago

14. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

In Ryno's day dreaming mind, on the bench, with all that money.

15. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

25 million dollar Capela or 15 Million Dollar DeAndre Jordon coming Home? Easy Choice..

Sadat X, bilaal14 and lw17 like this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is it possible that we give up Capela in a multi-team sign and trade in order to unload Anderson’s contract?

da_juice and dfbreyes like this.
  17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

If there's ANY chance to keep Capela and keep the core while signing another elite threat, then im ALL for it. If not, i wouldnt mind DeAndre Jordan. Houston native, could come at a discount, and could prolly play heavier minutes than Clint right now.

bilaal14 and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

why are you using the DJ situation and not noel's. dallas refused to max him out when alot of people just assumed they would. as much as i hate to say it, it looks like theyve actually learned their lesson as of late throwing money at cp and matthews. at the very least theyre realizing not to be as stupid

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think it would be a mistake to lose Capela for nothing. We lost Parsons for nothing; let's not lose Capela for nothing. He's worth a couple of 1st rounders at least. sign and trade or keep him ....but don't let him walk for nothing. that's just stupid.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clint Capela outplayed Karl Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, He did have his moments Blocking Draymond Green, Kevin Durant. This is his First Year Starting Full Time playing many minutes. Only 23 he has been working on midrange shots and 3 pointers. Chris Paul has said many times he is the backbone of the defense.