1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when we didn't care about our first round draft picks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Mar 13, 2023.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Remember when we didn't care about our first round draft picks because they were so low? Caring about the draft sucks. The most exciting part of the last 3 season revolves around ping pong balls versus basketballs. **** Ferntits.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

And people still don't want Harden back. Mind boggling.

split41 and groovemachine like this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People are idiots. Apparently, personal feelings matter more to some than team success.

clos4life likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because Harden has proven his ability to win rings with a mediocre team?

Maybe before we call other people idiots let's lay out what we are satisfied with. Is it 48 wins and a first round exit for the next 5 years?

This roster would need a complete overhaul and Stone and Tilman have done nothing but ruin the roster that started with the best team Harden ever had when Tilman purchased in 2018.

The idiot I see is the one that owns the team.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Why would Harden cause a complete overhaul? Hire Harden and 1 more good vet via trade and hire a coach that holds players accountable. Harden, Green, Bridges, Jabari, Sengun starting lineup gets you to the playoffs for sure and it doesn’t disrupt your core. 2nd unit KPJ (if he can handle the demotion), Tate, Tari and maybe a vet Center is a helluva bench with a decent coach. KJM, JC, Garuba and all the Net picks for Bridges.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the many problems I see with bringing James back, is the inevitable abandonment of our rebuild for a "superteam/superfriends" deal. Of course, there's his age, injury concerns, contract, etc...

Just...NO.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

No, you just have a short memory

fryjol7, kjayp, xtruroyaltyx and 2 others like this.
  8. a time to chill

Exactly. Bringing Harden back could sabotage our rebuild. And we already know a Harden-led team ain't winning a championship, so why bother?

fryjol7, kjayp, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

When we hired Silas as the head coach...

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I still don't, I don't believe building through the draft works anymore your primary way to get better is through trades, and draft capital is part of that.

DD

javal_lon likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Wins for teams Harden has ever been on: 50, 55, 47, 45, 54, 56, 41, 55, 65, 53, 44 (bubble), 48, 51.

Draft Scoot, get rid of Porter, sign Harden and a competent rim protector and we'd be at 50 wins next year. Then when Scoot is ready he takes over for Harden in year 3 and we have prime Jalen, prime Scoot and prime Jabari competing for titles for the following 5-7 years.

Or we could just deal with 30-40 win seasons for the next 3-4 years. What would you rather do?

34to11 and split41 like this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don’t remember that. I hated that we used to trade all our picks.

Easy, SkareKrow and sydmill like this.
  13. Ernie The Giant Chicken

Have nothing personal against Harden, but I like the direction we are headed in as far as drafting young guys, making them better, and going from there. Really worth it just to get him for a year or two? I don't think it is. He'll be 34 years old in August and I think will start breaking down.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

As opposed to you advocating for us to bet our future on an injury prone and super flawed "superstar" in Ben Simmons?

split41 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

While that may be true, this short memory recalls that Harden has led the Rockets to more success than any other player since Hakeem. This includes Francis, T-Mac, Yao, Brooks, KMart, Lowry, and Dragic. This short memory also recalls that Harden is still easily a top 15 player in the league RIGHT NOW and can instantly elevate our current roster to playoff status (never mind whatever veteran or draft help we get) and represent better odds than any other star player we might be able to get or draft especially since we DO NOT OWN OUR PICKS going forward.

34to11 likes this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

There was at least one fan that genuinely preferred the wheels-in-mud Brooks/KMart/Chuckwagon days over Harden days, so....

kjayp likes this.
  17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I recall people saying the same thing about Curry and GSW until they dumped Mark Jackson for a good coach in Kerr.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Speak for yourself, I always cared about our draft picks. Watching young prospects develop into great players is one of my favorite aspects of sports.

34to11, hakeem94 and sydmill like this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

To draft pick or not to draft pick that is the question...:confused:

Go Rockets!!!

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We lose that option for a while after this season, so it won't even be a decision we have to make LOL