1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Religion is the worst evolutionary trait in human history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Simple topic.

My case: It's been responsible for the vast majority of major conflicts and violence throughout human history. Problem is, the need for us to feel like we're not alone, in my opinion, is a true human trait.

#1 Two Sandwiches, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. conquistador#11

the funny thing is in all of them, there is a higher being that is supposed to influence the good in people.
    Scienetologists might come out the cleanest of them all, just weirdos who praise aliens, which technically god is.

[​IMG]

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fear of "other"

That is the evolutionary trait least compatible with modern times.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Lol funny post.

I am not a fan of religion, far from it. Unfortunatly I believe it is not religions fault perse. Many people are capable of terrible things, and they use religion as an excuse to further their agenda.

People want to be part of a group, and the best way to know who is part of your group is by excluding people not part of the group. We see this in religion, sportfans and also nationality. If not for religion people would use something else to exclude people, and be violent.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

All I know is I know nothing...

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think anyone would argue that religion attempts to modify and civilize human's animalistic behaviours buuut like all motivation, you need a carrot and stick. Most people I guess say there isn't a carrot or a stick in this life and we have to use the 'mysteries of existence' to project consequences into some other life to get any compliance That requires an assumption of the omnipotence of the deity and that has to maintained against all the other myths to the death or the rules just become suggestions.

Now that science is developing facts for existence (other than why), Humanism will have to assume the role of moral and ethical judge and the truth would have to be there is only one life and the peace and satisfaction of living it morally is the only reward. Socially we have to see that living cooperatively is the evolutionary imperative.

That sort of leaves out the defense (economic and existential) of the closely related gene pools aspect of tribalism/religion so we are still maybe 200 years away (wild ass guess)

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm very curious to know of that 'biohazard' religion...

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When you make up stuff, and call it fact, then convince a bunch of other people that the made up stuff is real, and insert a lot of intolerance, you get people arguing with each other over whose made up stuff is right.

Unreal.

If you believe in God as the creator - then he created Gays too - don't believe the crap that man invented later to explain what he didn't understand.

DD

#10 DaDakota, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Religion is still historical record keeping and there's no amount of value you can place on that fact. It's not like you can erase thousands of years of religion like it never existed.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm willing to wager if religion didn't exist almost every major conflict and violence that's happened in the world would still have happened.

300 years in the future if religion ceases to exist, I'm certain the world will still be a cruel violent place.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nah. Religion is certainly not the cause of all forms of violence but it certainly is at fault for a significant share of it.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Religion, at best, is Wordpress for morality, at worst, it's absolute poison.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You think if religion didn't exist "a significant share" of violence in the world would have been avoided?

Humans tend to cluster around similar ideologies and commit atrocities as a result. If not religion, it would just be something else.

It's all the same.

17. Buck Turgidson

Religion, participation trophies, turkey bacon and autotune.

2 people like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like a joddie foster movie

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Negative.

Tribalism will always have its place in society and violence, but religiously motivated (and mandated!) violence is a special octane brew all its own.

Tribalism alone isn't enough to fill the void.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Unlikely.

Things like fanatical nationalism or fanatical ethnic pride (already huge causes of violence) would fill that void quite nicely.

I'm certain the more "radical" followers of religion would easily fit right into those groups.

I mean in a world where people beat the **** out of each other at soccer events based on allegiance to certain teams, people will find any cause to be violent if they are so inclined.