1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendation for a good Lawyer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rusHour, May 19, 2016.

1. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Hey CF.

Hoping and praying that there is some good advice and/or recommendation for a lawyer in Houston. While there isn't a way to explain the issue going on in my life, I can say that it has to do with my wife and her coworkers/supervisor/boss. For the past year they have continued to give abuse in the workplace... never anything physical except for a threat on 1 occurance.

I will also say that under the roof of this company, there is a lot of abuse that goes on. This company being a major one in the city of Houston that could find itself in trouble if any of this news found itself in the wrong hands.

Any help that you can provide would be great. Please no jokes as somethings are not a joking matter and dont deserve to be made fun. This situation has gotten out of hand and caused some big rifts and came to the CF for some sound responses. Appreciate it.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Assuming your wife identifies female, just have her go to the EEOC for free.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Maybe i'm missing something, but why is she being forced to work there?

4. rusHour

Forced? Pretty close. Without going into too many details, she got offered a job in the same office building and when word got to her boss, he told her she couldn't leave but then gave a raise to keep it quiet I guess.

At this point my wife is more concerned about the bills being paid then her own self. I don't feel that way though - As a husband you want to protect and defend your wife no matter the situation. These things have been going on for too long and something has to be done. I can't sit here and let it happen anymore. Which is why I come to CF for an idea of some responsible choices instead of banging down the door...

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd like to recommend my cousin, Vinny.

3 people like this.
  6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Only read title. Do not talk to the police I am on the way.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's pretty common for an employer to try to retain an employee by giving them a raise when they learn of a new offer. It's hard to figure out exactly whats going in since you are being vague to protect your privacy.

I am assuming there has been some discrimination/harassment from management/employees? I think you would need a labor lawyer if you choose to bring a lawsuit against them.

Unfortunately this is not the area of law I work in, but I can ask for some good recommendations if you'd like. Feel free to email me through the board.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

By good lawyer I assume you mean an effective lawyer. Because there's no such thing as a "good" lawyer ;).

Really sorry your wife's going through this. If it's primarily her boss and a barrier to accepting the other job in the same company can't HR help?

Ask her to document everything. Dates, meeting, incidents, etc. Everything. Good luck with it all.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sorry I didn't read the thread before I posted, I apologize for the joke.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Message me on the side. I know someone that can send you to the right ppl for this.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was going to say the same. I used to know some lawyers at Morgan Lewis but have no actual recommendations, OP.

Good luck.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

sorry to hear about this, rush. long time no hear. post more.

13. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I just sent you an email. I'm an attorney myself and I can try to refer you to someone who would deal specifically with these types of cases but I would need some additional information. Shoot me a PM or email me at my username @ gmail.com.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

My boy SamFisher of course.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The maturity level on Clutchfans is at an all time high, lol.

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

In before Saul Goodman. On a serious note I hope you get the help you need bro. Sounds like a ****ty situation.

18. rusHour

Its a tough situation... the President, the Owner, the Vice President and even HR are all abusive and/or shady. Trust me. While my wife has been in tough spots she has pushed through it all because at one point in time she enjoyed what she did. The last 6 months though, since hiring a few new employees she is now getting bulled by them. Lies are being made up against her and while these other coworkers continue to do wrong - not only to my wife but the company in general - my wife is singled out even though she does nothing to provoke.

Ill reach out to you soon. Thanks

Thanks for the advice. She has been documenting things for a very long time. Ive told her to start pulling out the phone and hitting record in certain situations but she hasnt just yet.

Hey man. Thanks for the concern. Hope all is well!

I didnt receive any email but I am going to reach out to you soon. Thanks

It can be but so far so good. Got the right crowd today. lol

Thanks to everyone whose posted their concerns or advice. Id hope to post more details but the amount of content would be way too much plus Id like to keep this under the radar at the moment until we get some headway on the situation. Doing anything against certain industry leaders would be a big deal to a lot of people...

19. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

And why hasn't she reported the abuse to human resources yet?

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HR will do very little. Their job is to cover the company's ass, not necessarily do what's best for the employee