1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommend any LASIK surgeons??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rubytuesday, Mar 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

There might have been a thread on this topic before, but I'm in the middle of getting LASIK eye surgery done and I need to decide on a surgeon soon. I've worn glasses since 1987 (age 8), RGP hard lenses since 1990 (age 11) and I'm 29 now. My eye sight is -7 and -5 with astigmatism and I've been out of my contacts for 5+ weeks now.

I've met with Berkeley Eye Center (felt like they were herding cows in there), Eye Center of Texas (Dr. Wade) and Advanced Laser Vision (Dr. Lipsky) and I'm debating now between Dr. Wade and Dr. Lipsky. They all said I am a candidate and they all use INTRALASE to "cut" the eye open.

Good news is this is Houston and we have plenty of great doctors here, but I am curious of any thoughts on Houston area surgeons or your personal stories that could help me.

My surgery will be in 2 weeks and I'm so excited about it!!

2. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

in the metro detroit area, there is so much competition that you could get the procedure done for about 2500

3. RedRacer

RedRacer Contributing Member

DC area; had mine done for $2700 after some discount

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

My friend used Mann Eye Institute? I'll ask him later when I see him. He said it's worth every penny, although he went with the surgery when his eye sight was only -1.5 -______-

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I had Lasik done overseas 4 years ago and it is the best money I ever spent of course it was only $500 bucks total US Money lol.

My girlfriend just had it done 2 weeks ago and the doctor was recommended by all her friends. His name is Doctor January and he works at the Lasik Vision Institute. He is a very cool guy and his staff is really nice.

They had a special like no interest till 2010 or something.

6. rubytuesday

thanks guys....more help from Houston would've been good. :( i've heard of Dr. January as well. Perhaps I can make an appt with them too. mine is ~$4200 total for the procedure on both eyes and the price is pretty much the same at all the places i went. plus they all have the 12-18 month interest free but i put it on my Flexible Spending Account at work so that will help out too.

any information on Dr. Lipsky or Dr. Wade? thanks in advance.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think I actually went to Berkley. This was a year ago. It went fine. There are various Berkley's, though I think. I think I had Dr. McQueen. I didn't feel herded at all - in fact, everytime I went, at most there were only a few other patients there. On "surgery day" I think wherever you go you will feel herded, though, as they only do the surgery that day of the week.

If you've heard good things about Lipsky or Wade, they are all the same really. I think these days the equipment is as important, if not more so, than the doctor. The other guy I had narrowed my choice down to was Dr. Stephen Slade, but went with Berkley because they were cheaper (even though LASIK is not something to skimp out on).

Good luck. I had a similar story to you and its great.

8. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I will never, ever, ever get Lasik. Period.

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't have any recommendations as for doctors...but getting my vision corrected was the best thing that I can remember happening to me. I absolutely love not having to fumble around for my glasses and contacts when I wake up in the morning. The entire process is painless, recovery is pretty short, and you will almost feel like a new person afterwards. My eyesight was actually a little worse than yours (I think my prescription was something like -7.5 or -8.5), so I really couldn't see anything other than blobs and shapes. I don't know if this really occurs or not, but it seemed like my vision was actually crisper than with contacts. I saw in better detail.

Anyways, congrats...it will be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself.

10. rubytuesday

thanks for the comments. i def am aware of all the changes that i'll be going thru almost overnight so that is why i am so excited. can't wait!!

11. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

international eye care?
    they advertise on 610 all the time

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

Dr Seymour Leslie $99.95

13. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

im having my vision correction done on wednesday next wk. im using dr. stephen g. slade of slade & baker vision center over on 59 and weslayan. apparently hes one of the pioneers of the procedure im getting since i have such high myopia (-9.5 contact lens prescription, -11.5 glasses). so far hes been amazing. im having a procedure called ICL done, and its obscenely expensive. but i do remember them telling me that LASIK would run about 4 grand (i think). if i had to recommend a guy in houston, it would be him; ive seen 4 other drs as well, and hes been the best

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah those pricing are what my girlfriend got when she went to Berkley and a couple other places.

She went to Dr. January based on the recommendations from about 6 family friends that went to him. They absolutely raved about it and she went to make an appointment.

She initially got a quote for the new procedures of $3200 and she just negotiated with the sales lady and ended up getting it for $2400 with no down payment and no interest until 2010 I believe.

I actually was with her through the process and saw the surgery performed and he did a great job. He really makes you feel relaxed and he is a funny guy.

I have a referral sheet that they gave us I can give to you if you want. Let me know.

15. tulexan

tulexan Member

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I had Lasik at Berkeley Eye Center 2 years ago and everything went fine, I had Dr. Caplan.

17. rubytuesday

thanks so much guys. i have an appt with Dr. January this afternoon. pass the referral sheet onto me if you want too. i didnt' know you can negotiate on the price? i guess i just want it so badly, i don't really care.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

it's cheaper in canada. my cousin had it done by the doctor who did Tiger Woods's surgery

19. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Is that the Lasik Vision Institute on 1800 Bering Dr? I have a appt for this afternoon as well. The didn't mention a Dr. name, but I think this is where he does surgeries.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My sister got hers done here. The people are amazing.