1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Christmas Tree Stands...any good ones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rubytuesday, Dec 3, 2007.

1. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

So my husband and I bought a real tree yesterday from the trusty Home Depot and bought a stand from there. After hours of picking a tree, pruning it, loading it up in the car, driving it home, putting it in the stand, hauling it into the house and putting lights on it....it is crooked at like an 80 degree angle.

We decided the stand was lousy (middle price one at HD) and we were engineering other ways to jimmy it so it is upright. Does anyone have recommendations on a really good tree stand? My husband just found one online but it's double the price of the one we bought yesterday. The engineering design looks much better and if that's what we have to do for our party this Saturday, then so be it. Just wondering if anyone else had a problem with their tree stand.

It's a bit frustrating and disappointing. Thanks in advance.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, it sounds like it's your tree, likely its cut at an angle at the bottom...Any cheap tree stand should be fine...I bought a $10 at Target last year and it was perfect...

How much was the tree...LAst year at Lowes, I got a 6' one for $15...

3. rubytuesday

it is cut straight at the bottom though. tree is a 7 foot noble fir for $42.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect user error ;)

We use a cheap stand. We bought our tree Sunday and it took us two tries with the stand, to get the tree looking right.

If the tree is leaning, go to the opposite side of the stand (opposite of the lean) and loose the screws. Lean the tree toward the direction you have loosen. While you spouse holds the tree, step back to see if it is right. You might need to loosen or tighten a little the screw you are working on. Once you got it right, you need to tight the other screws and you should be good to go.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is this TILTING tree stand at Homes Depot that lets you put the tree into a base, then pick it up and move it into the stand, and then tilt the tree to your liking. I bought this stand and it is working well. Our tree is crooked as well. Still, please check your email. :cool:

#5 SwoLy-D, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. rubytuesday

we did tighten them all the way and then it loosens up itself and slips to the side (not directly onto the tree). it's hard to explain but thanks anyways...

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Just hire an elf. We got two of them to put up our decorations. I'm sure you can find one for cheap to hold up your tree. They are usually sitting outside tree lots drinking 40 oz egg noggs.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just sounds like a bad stand. Take it back and get another one. There really is nothing to them.

9. rubytuesday

FYI we bought a new tree stand yesterday for half the price ($12.99) and the tree is perfect!! It stood up on the first try and when you shake it a little, it doesn't budge. We are so happy now! I'm taking the other one back to Home Depot and complaining about it.