1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Joe Biden has done it again. This time around he has mishandled comments about a gay waiter at a "Pride" weekend fundraiser.

Biden puts foot in mouth with ‘gay waiter’ comment at Pride weekend fundraiser

Joe Biden continues to dig holes for himself with gaffes, even when he means well. During a campaign fundraiser in Seattle on Saturday, the former vice president tried to illustrate how far the United States has come when it comes to the treatment of the LGBT community, but he apparently missed the mark.

Biden claimed that just five years ago, it would have been acceptable for a businessman to make “fun of a gay waiter,” the Washington Examiner reported. Those in attendance at the event, which took place at the home of public relations executive and gay rights activist Roger Nyhus, made it clear that was not the case - at least not in their city.

“Not in Seattle!” people called out, claiming that homophobic comments would not have been condoned in 2014.The point of Biden’s remarks, delivered as the LGBT community and their allies celebrated Pride Weekend, was that the United States has made progress. He said the hypothetical businessman he spoke of “would not be invited back” today.​

Biden is just not up to the task. He has always been a gaff-o-matic. And that was before the days when the Democrat left became stridently and intolerantly devoted to "Political correctness" and "Identity politics".

But in this climate? He is not the right person for the Democrats this time around. Actually, he never was before either. But this time around, the Democrat voters are very likely going to give him the "Jeb!" treatment before this primary process is finished.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

at a time when all they have to do is move to the center in order to beat trump, the democrats are going further and further left. its bad strategerie and a sure-fire way to ensure a trump victory in 2020.

i really dont like what im hearing from any of the candidates. im voting for whomever is running against trump no matter what, but there is a large slice of the population who is going to be put off by healthcare for illegals, eliminating private health insurance, reparations, lessening criminal penalties for illegal border crossing, voting rights for people in jail, universal basic income, ect.

also, biden and sanders are really showing their age - id be nervous about seeing either of them as president simply b/c they are almost 80. one of trumps problems is that he is also too damn old. its a fact that you slow down both physically and mentally once you start getting older - trump has been a pathological liar his entire life, but he is also getting senile and it shows. inherent dishonesty and senility is a bad combo.

i guess right now i like harris, simply because i think she is a bulldog and will be the most effective at going after trump.

MojoMan likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Kamala Harris calls for federally mandated busing. Talk about "Political Correctness" and "Virtue Signalling" gone amok. Virtually nobody wants this for their kids.

This is just another effort to create racial divisiveness, where none need exist.

Kamala Harris Calls for Federally Mandated Busing

On Sunday, Kamala Harris expressed support for new, federally mandated busing policies. “I support busing. Listen, the schools of America are as segregated, if not more segregated, today than when I was in elementary school,” Harris said. “Where states fail to do their duty to ensure equality of all people and in particular where states create or pass legislation that created inequality, there’s no question that the federal government has a role and a responsibility to step up.”

Harris still hasn’t been specific about what exactly the federal government should do. “After her exchange with Mr. Biden on Thursday night, a Harris spokesman said that she supported busing as a method for school integration, but the campaign declined to provide additional information,” the New York Times reported.​

Of course a better answer that Harris could get support for across racial lines is to massively expand support for charter schools, which are public schools with charters that allow for more focused and more intense curriculums that are focused in a disciplined manner around achieving higher educational and personal conduct standards.

Charter schools are not for everyone. But they are very popular among both low income minority communities and suburban communities alike.

But the teachers unions do not like them, so many Democrats are reluctant to support them, even though installing better schools where the kids live is a much better solution that trying to force them to go to schools across town that neither they nor their parents generally want them to go to.

This proposal by Harris will stir people up along racial lines, but beyond that, it is as remarkably foolish of a political idea as any candidate on either side is likely to propose either this year, or in any year for many years to come. And of course there are already a number of other remarkably stupid ideas that the Democrat candidates are already proposing. But it this one is at another level of stupid.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

solutions in search of problems

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

7. biff17

biff17 Member

This is great a terrible stance for her nobody wants that.

I can't believe she is doubling down on this issue, she has terrible people giving her advice.

MojoMan likes this.
  8. Anticope

Anticope Member

This thread is certainly reminiscent of a car driven by a clown.

B-Bob and DonnyMost like this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As far as government policy goes, I totally agree. But Kamala first has to win the nomination before there is even the slightest concern that she might actually do something around this.

So, the most obvious imbalance heading into the first debate was how little support Kamala Harris was getting, especially among black voters, and how strong Joe Biden's support was in that area. If Harris had any real hopes of being competitive in this contest for the nomination, she was going to have to figure out a way to separate Joe Biden from his support among black people and somehow inspire those voters to support her. So, it should come as no surprise to anyone that she went after Biden the way that she did.

What this tells me is that she is not doing this just to feed her ego or her bank account. She is really intending to pull out ALL the stops and do whatever she thinks she needs to do to try to win this nomination. If things go well for Senator Harris, Senator Warren can expect to receive similar treatment, probably a bit later in the contest.

Harris had apparently been planning this attack for several months. It is an absolutely terrible position for her a general election contest. But first things first. She has to stir up enough racial divisiveness and tribalism to get the support she needs, especially from the black community, to somehow win the nomination. I think she is focused on that right now like a laser beam, and if she wins the nomination, she is will almost certainly drop this proposal like a hot potato some time between the convention and Labor day 2020.

In the meantime, it should make for some high drama in the Democrat primary over the next six to nine months.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

It's not a great idea to gather black support or be an actual contender for the nomination.

It was very shortsighted nobody believes Biden is a racist and the black community is split on the busing issue.

She needs to go at Biden straight up and not pander or at least find a topic that actually resonates.

I really can't believe she is actually selling those t shirts.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Busing is an interesting issue, and the data just don't support that it "failed." It was massively unpopular, yes, but the achievement gap was most narrowed by busing, and after we ended desegregation policies for schools, the achievement gap has increased again (ever since 1990 or so, if I understand the numbers). I'm not saying I'm pro-busing, and I'm not saying it's a very smart thing for Harris to be going on about right now.

But if anyone's interested in the actual issue, here's one interesting take, with a lot of research behind it:
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/562/the-problem-we-all-live-with-part-one

And here's one take on why it's still a bad idea.
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brow...inging-back-busing-do-benefits-outweigh-cost/

Sorry if this broke a stream of tweetable takes and cartoons. Cheers.

biff17 likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So, would you support a federally mandated busing program to be implemented after the next election?

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

She will almost certainly be out after the primary in South Carolina if she were to have followed your advice.

Not that I disagree with most of what you have said, but tactically the only way she is going to be competitive is by playing the race card - early, often and in a remarkably high profile manner. It appears that she seems to think so, too, given her conduct towards Joe Biden during the first debate.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

I am going to take a look at those but I think it's very hard to correlate the achievement gap with busing.

Not saying it has had no effect but there are plenty of other issues would also like to see the total numbers of bussed students because I bet a lot of kids just stopped going to school instead of being bussed.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

You don't really have a clue about what most black respond to.

You seem to think playing the race card with any subject energized black voters.

Black voters are not monolithic, it's the reason Obama had trouble at 1st among black voters.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Wow. Kamala Harris jumps to #2 in the latest CNN poll, only five points behind Joe Biden, while Pocahontas sneaks into the #3 spot just ahead of Bernie Sanders.

CNN: Biden 22, Harris 17, Warren 15, Sanders 14, Buttigieg 4, Booker 3

I am a bit surprised at how soft the support is for Mayor Pete.

Yes, of course these polls are not determinative at this point, as it is still way too early. But Harris is surely doing a Mary-Lou Retton style tumbling run in celebration, and Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have to be sweating profusely.

#1276 MojoMan, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I am not saying that all black people will vote for Harris. However, for Harris to win the nomination, she is going to have to be very strong among black voters, certainly stronger than Joe Biden.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

And you seem to think playing the race card can accomplish that.

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I think to win the nomination, Harris is going to have to quintuple down on her race and sex credentials, using them as manipulatively and divisively as she possibly can. If you were to take her profile and put her into the package of a middle-aged white man, she would be one of the candidates that we would all be asking: "who is that person?" It would have been the same with Obama by the way.

If Harris was not dark skinned, she would not have a chance among the Democrat electorate to win this nomination. No way. Even still, she has her work cut out for her. But after playing the race card in the first debate in a spectacularly incendiary manner, she is now #2 in the most recent CNN poll, only 5 points behind the leader, Joe Biden.

So, as I was saying....

20. Nook

Nook Member

If Donald Trump wasn't an angry old white man, he would have zero chance of being President. He has to double down on racism and division to have any chance of winning any office.

So as you were saying...

adoo and biff17 like this.