1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

Long story short, I'm assuming my woman will enjoy it?

2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Hmmmn, if you and your woman are on solid footing, possibly. But I personally think it's a story more geared towards men.

If she's too self-conscious for her own good and/or at all distrustful of you (or you of her) PASS. It's a story without any real good guys or gals, i.e., it's no Meg Ryan feel-good kind of flick.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Saving Mr. Banks- 8/10

Emma Thompson is brilliant.

I'm a sucker for a film that has life lessons and growth. Really enjoyed this.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

WWII movie/doc.... There Is Many Like Us

Great... 9/10

ima_drummer2k and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

If you have the chance to watch Peter Jackson's WWI doc "They Shall Not Grow Old" do yourself a favor. I thought just restoring the archival footage in black and white was impressive, but when it goes full color with sound, just absolutely incredible. He, quite literally, gave these soldiers a voice to not be forgotten.

10/10

KingCheetah, donkeypunch and mikol13 like this.
  6. marky :)

marky :) Member

The Old Guard - 5/10

Meh action movie with a generic plot. Figured what was going to happen before it happened on screen.

Probably would of been better suited if this was a netflix series instead of a movie.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

been eyeing that one, will have to try it

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can't wait to see this doc.

Couldn't get through this one not sure if I'll even pick up where I left off.

9. Buck Turgidson

That is one of the more fantastic movies I've seen in a long time.

Technical genius, and I hope he tries this again with other films...or lets others use the technology.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Meh just save yourself the time and watch something else.

KingCheetah likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

If you ever get a chance to go to the Imperial War Museum (which I see funded this) I highly recommend. Easily my favorite museum that I've been to.

JunkyardDwg likes this.
  12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Just watched The Old Guard and loved it.

It freaked me out because Charlize Theron is only 45 years old. Which means when she was in The Devil's Advocate she was only 22.

If you had told me she was 35 in that movie I would have believed you. Weird.

TimDuncanDonaut and B-Bob like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

The Flowers of War. A bit long, a little uneven, but overall worth watching--about the Nanking Massacre. Christian Bale's switch from scoundrel to saint not entirely convincing, but the film has some great moments. 7.5/10

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

“Touch of Evil: Extended”
    9/10

On TCM if it hasn’t left. Written, directed and acted in by Orson Welles in 1958 and a film noir classic with a complicated history. Fans of the work of Welles won’t be surprised by that. Charlton Heston was approached by Universal to star in Touch of Evil and when he heard that Welles had been hired to play the “villain,” Heston said he would take the role if Welles directed it. When Welles was asked if he would direct, he said sure, if I can also write the screenplay. The studio took a chance and said yes, so Welles started making phone calls. Janet Leigh signed on without seeing a script, as did several other well known actors, some in very small roles.

The resulting masterpiece was butchered by Universal, who literally took possession of the film while Welles was out of town, cut the nearly 2 hour film to 93 minutes, and put it in theaters without much promotion as the 2nd movie of a double feature (remember double features?). Welles left a 58 page memo arguing that the cuts be restored and thankfully the film hadn’t been lost. This was the second attempt to produce Touch of Evil the way Welles intended at 111 minutes and the result is fantastic. Heston, Welles, and Leigh are great in a wild noir ride. Check it out if you can.

Decided to include a quote from Charlton Heston playing Ramon Miguel Vargas:

“A policeman's job is only easy in a police state... “

#8854 Deckard, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Entropy and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Free on Amazon Prime....will definitely check it out.

Patton - 9/10 - seen bits and pieces of this, but never sat down and watched it from beginning to end. Glad I did. Newsflash - George C. Scott is a pretty good actor.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Morey you magnificent b*stard!

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Nero

Nero Member

Tenet - (no rating)

I don't know what to tell you guys.. I am going to have to watch this two or three more times to wrap my brain around it

At the moment, I am not sure if it was a movie or a 180-minute long experiment to see if they could actually do what they set out to do.

Pretty sure they did. Don't know if that automatically makes it great or not yet.

It sure was impressive though..

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

...I read your spreadsheets!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

Well, to me the most disappointing part that about 2/3 or 3/4 in it was pretty obvious what was happening. I definitely think you need to watch it a 2nd time just to see what you have missed, how some things make more sense or maybe even change how you view the film. To me it would be interesting if they had made this movie to be viewed backwards and forwards somehow.

It's a very good movie, but also since it's the only movie really worthy of seeing in the last 9 months, there was a big pressure for it to be great. Also given Nolan's past work and the trailer making it seem mind blowing, but it's not that crazy or just hard to follow. Just have to forego logic a bit and accept the movie's truth, then it's pretty simple. I would've liked this movie to be 3 hours actually, to fully explore the concept and go a bit deeper.

Still a solid 8/10, a bit disappointing if you think it's going to be Inception type of stuff, but if you go in with no expectations, I think you will definitely have your brain rattled. In any case you will be entertained.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A Hidden Life - 10/10 - Man, this movie blew me away. As I was watching, I was thinking to myself that it felt a lot like The Thin Red Line (which I loved). Checked IMDB real quick to see that, yes, it was the same director. I never knew a movie could be so dark yet so uplifting all at the same time.

mikol13 likes this.