1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yesterday - 6 out of 10. A bit disappointed, as I really like the ideal behind the movie. I think the lead actor was a bit weak as I really liked the female lead (really cute role) and the friend/roadie ate up every scene he was in. But I guess the story just meandered and ultimately I was let down.

More reasons in the spoiler...

I guess I didn't see much character turmoil of essentially stealing/profiting of someone else's work until the very end. And I guess meeting with the now surviving (and I guess, only surviving) member of the Beatles. Also, my wife and daughter both seemed disappointed that there was less Beatles songs; I was OK with the balance but he really struggled singing Help! Oh, and Kate McKinnon was funny at times but almost cartoon-like in others.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Showings started last night.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

hellboy - 0/10

holy schitt wtf kinda trash did i just watch? granted i only got to 25 minutes before having to turn it off. did not enjoy 1 second of it. did they find the script at some high school?

cheke64 likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Child's play 7/10. The original one was my childhood nightmare so I had to pay my respects.

5. body slam

body slam Member

Big Kill - 6/10 western on Netflix. Good not great but I was entertained.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

The Upside. 10/10. Critics liked Hart's and Cranston's chemistry but dinged the movie for being trite. I loved it. Appears the normal (non-critic) public did too. Would not have watched but for my wife's insistence. Glad she wanted to see it.

7. JW86

JW86 Member

Watch the original, Intouchables (french). Then you will understand real chemistry and see what good acting is all about. This copy was nothing compared to the original, especially Hart's attempt at humour and Cranston really failed to sell his character. It seems this version was quickly put together.

Jontro, i3artow i3aller and CometsWin like this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Batman Vs Teenage Mutant inja Turtles- 9/10

At first, i was like hows that gonna work? But it worked and beautifully. The humor of the TMNT balances well with the stern seriousness of Batman movies. Lot of pop culture references and the characters mesh really well. Batman vs Shredder is a pretty bad ass battle in itself.

don grahamleone and justtxyank like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

aladdin - inconclusive

watched like the first 15-20 mins and then got so bored and skipped to the last 10-15 mins. i'm not too impressed. maybe the lack of star power did it. will smith as a supporting genie character wasn't enough to carry it. should have starred tom cruise.

10. conquistador#11

See you yesterday- 1/10. I don't know if it's just me but these rotten tomatoes ratings have been getting more and more misleading. 95% on RT.

2 kids make time traveling possible but can only go back a day. That's not time travel! The only memorable moment is that Marty Mcfly is the Science teacher and delivers a line after seeing their project. "Time travel? Great, scott!"

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My son really liked see you yesterday. He is 9. Loves nyc and science In general. So I dunno

12. Buck Turgidson

We watched ‘Red Headed Stranger’ with Willie Nelson. On the film set. It was magic.

On paper, it sounded like a pretty special event: Just outside of Austin, the Willie Nelson film “Red Headed Stranger” would be screened on the grounds of the fictional Old West town that was built for the 1985 production of the movie. And Willie would be there too, answering questions about how it all went down 30-odd years ago.

In person, it was even better. Around 400 folks paid $100 (or more for VIP passes that included a dinner reception) to be there. We talked with two fans who flew in from upstate New York solely for the occasion.

By the time general-admission gates opened at 7:30 p.m., a hot summer afternoon had begun to cool as the sun set over the serene hill-country environs of Luck, Texas, which includes a chapel, a saloon, a headquarters building and other small outposts. More than 70 horses, mostly animal rescues that Willie and his crew have brought to his ranch near Spicewood, roam the grounds along the fringes of the town.

Early arrivers checked out a mini-exhibit of artifacts from the film courtesy of the Wittliff Collections, an archival facility on the campus of Texas State University in San Marcos. Scripts and call sheets, photos of Willie with fellow cast members Morgan Fairchild and Katharine Ross, and other documents offered a preview glimpse into how “Red Headed Stranger” got made.

The only thing missing was the Collections’ namesake founder, Bill Wittliff, who wrote and directed the movie. He’d planned to be here, but his sudden death from a heart attack a month ago turned this evening into a memorial event for him, with Nelson and others involved in the film sharing their memories of his influence on their lives.

Wittliff wrote “Red Headed Stranger” with Nelson’s 1975 concept album of the same name as a guide. The album was a turning point in Willie’s career, and it’s probably also the most important record in the history of Austin music. Already an accomplished songwriter, Nelson became a household name when “Red Headed Stranger” topped the country charts.

A quarter-moon gazed upon the ten-cent town of Luck as the opening credits rolled. It’s a bit like peering through the looking glass to watch a movie on the very site where most of it was made. There’s Willie riding in on his horse past the chapel, a landmark that guests explored as they arrived on the grounds. There’s the sheriff’s office, in an outpost that on this night featured Nelson’s new “Willie’s Remedy” CBD-infused coffee on the porch. And hey, we’re sitting almost exactly where they hung Odie Claver, a son of the film’s villain. The post-screening Q&A included Sonny Carl Davis, who played Odie.

Most everything takes place in the tiny Montana town of Driscoll, but Luck and other nearby hill country locations worked well as the backdrop for a story set in the covered-wagon days of the mid-late 1800s. Nelson is riveting as Julian Shay, a preacher who arrives from Philadelphia to reform the town but soon faces his own comeuppance with the Lord.

Andy Langer of Austin City Limits Radio interviewed Willie and other principals for about 20 minutes afterward. Most of Nelson’s comments were brief, but he was a fountain of colorful one-liners.

Asked what it was like watching himself onscreen a few minutes earlier, he replied: “I was thinking, who was that old b*stard?” On the Luck chapel: “It’s a real church. We hold service out there, and weddings. I don’t think we’ve had any divorces there yet.” On other activities at his ranch: “There’s a golf course if I feel like swingin’ hard and missing it. There’s plenty of horses to ride, or steal, whatever you want.” On acting: “I never thought of myself as an actor. I react a lot.”

The Q&A also touched upon how “Red Headed Stranger” initially was going to be a much bigger production, with Robert Redford in the lead role — until “he chickened out of it,” Nelson cracked.

With Redford, “Red Headed Stranger” might have gotten a lot more attention than it did in its limited 1986 theatrical run. Much like it was transcendent when Alison Krauss sang Nelson’s ballad “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” at Willie’s Fourth of July Picnic two days earlier, Redford’s consummate skill could have made for onscreen magic.

But just as Nelson’s own version of “Angel” at the Picnic a few hours later offered the definitive rendition from the songwriter himself, his performance as the Preacher became the movie’s indelible signature. Mulling it over, Nelson remembered that a colleague on a subsequent film, “Honeysuckle Rose,” once put it this way: “Willie plays himself better than anybody.”

Saturday’s screening was announced as the inaugural event of a new Luck Cinema series. No other movies are currently scheduled, but if this first go-round is any indication, this could become one of the most popular movie outings in Central Texas whenever follow-up films are booked.

https://www.austin360.com/entertain...r-with-willie-nelson-on-film-set-it-was-magic

whiskeyred and B-Bob like this.
  13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I love Van Johnson. He is great in 30 Seconds Over Tokyo too

Deckard likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Solid, but I'll take Ben Johnson.

15. Fantasma Negro

Stuber - 7/ 10

For some reason I found this movie absolutely hilarious. At the beginning of the movie I was asking myself logical questions like "how could a veteran cop have such poor eyesight?" Or "why didn't he put the destination in before he was picked up?" But once I let go and suspended reality and just let the film take me on the ride I really enjoyed it. Batista and Kumail really played off each other well and there was a nice well timed plot twist that kept me interested in the outcome. The only thing I didn't like was how predictable the very end was. This movie won't be breaking any box office records but it is damn entertaining

CometsWin and B-Bob like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was hoping this would be good. They've been advertising the hell out of it.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly how I felt. Great idea...poorly executed.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Turbo 9/10. This is one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Men In Black 3 - 7/10

Just caught it on FX and really enjoyed it. I havent watched a MIB in years and cant even remember if I ever saw the second one or not, but Im glad I saw this one.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Watched "Kill the Irishman" on NetFlix last night.

8.5/10