1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. likestohypeguy

Lately I've been watching movies based solely on how much ultra low bass content the soundtrack provides...

Spiderman Into the spiderverse: 8.5 ultra deep bass (6 as a movie)
    Aquaman: 10 ultra deep bass, unmatched nonstop earthquake level of the inaudible stuff (3.5 as a movie, first half was watchable, then it couldn't decide what it wanted to be, story/dialogue/music/ everything got pretty painful)
    First Man: 8 on bass, just as good as a movie
    Bohemian Rhapsody: 7 bass though craziest bass drums I've ever heard in a movie, no action/horror/sci fi level stuff (same as a movie, f. mercury was much worse than all the supporting characters)

2. likestohypeguy

This is exactly the kind of formula I should like, the feel the look the pace, the writing and story... M. Mcarthy just missed mucked for me a little, she was just off, and it's kind of all in on her on this one, 6.5.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had only seen Schindler's List once more since seeing it in the theaters in 1993. It's on Netflix right now so watched it last night. Still among the most powerful films I've ever seen. I remember the pit in my stomach walking out of the theater in 1993, and while it doesn't have that kind of effect on me now, still an emotional experience. Still a 10 out of 10

CometsWin, mikol13 and Falcons Talon like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

couple of more to add while I'm off from work this week.

As I Lay Dying, James Franco's film adaptation of Faulkner's novel. I thought it better than the reviews made it out to be--and I'm thinking that's because of the difficulties (in part) of Faulkner's narrative to begin with. Franco tried to mimic the multi-perspective, stream-of-consciousness structure of the novel, and while it doesn't always work (the split screens to separate simultaneous perspectives), the overall film works pretty well as a whole. Plus pretty good production values for a period piece. I'd give it a 7/10 and recommend if if you like something different.

also watched Jersey Boys, this one, eh, not so much. I was hoping for a lot given that Clint Eastwood directed it, but it's a predictable adaptation of the Broadway musical. I liked learning about the Four Seasons, and the music was good, but compared to something like Love and Mercy about the Beach Boys, this one is pretty average. 6/10

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

If you enjoy a western drama with "shakespearean dialogue", you cannot do worse than the HBO series "DEADWOOD"....as long as you can handle a lot of harsh language.

It's my favorite television series of all time...even more than GOT, The Wire, or Breaking Bad.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think I've been through Deadwood a good four or five times already, and at this point I probably watch it at least once a year. Love that show, and looking forward to the film that's coming up.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I guess this should be embarrassing, but... I agreed to go watch what I thought was a chick flick with Mrs. B-Bob... Gloria Bell... but it's actually super warped and darkly funny with lots of surreal details. I kept wondering if Todd Haynes or Abel Ferrera had directed it, or maybe both. That's a good sign.

Gloria Bell: 8.5/10.

FranchiseBlade and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A couple of HBO documentaries (that's cool, right?)

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley - I LOVE a good corporate scandal, so not sure how I missed when all this originally happened. Is it wrong that I find Elizabeth Holmes's crazy eyes oddly attractive?

The Case Against Adnan Syed - This one was really disturbing. I'm usually a skeptic by nature, but this guy was clearly railroaded by the Baltimore PD and DA.

CometsWin, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting points. And yes, its was tough finding a sympathetic character in the movie (OK, maybe the woman that owned the book store that McCarthy's character exploited). McCarthy was definitely portrayed as unlikable and I don't recall ever feeling I should root for her.

I think there are a number of movies whee the star was a "villain". The movie I sorta compared this to was "Catch Me if You Can" with DiCaprio and Hanks. Seemed that movie tried to pain DiCaprio's character more sympathetically.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Beach Bum- Magical/10

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

watched Ridley Scott's Robin Hood with Russell Crowe. Much better than expected. 8/10

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bohemian rhapsody 6/10

Yawn i wanted to see cocaine and dwarves.

I like the doors from oliver stone wish this could have been more like that.
    Oliver stone added a compelling element whereas there wasnt much compelling story more like a documentary almost. Made it bland.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Upside- 6.5/10

Although it was refreshing to see Kevin Hart not play the same role over and over again in all his movies, it was still a little too much Kevin Hart for me. Tone was good, pace was not so great. All in all, decent movie.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Deadpool 2 - 6/10 I guess. 7/10 for what it was.

The Meg - 8/10 I wish Jason Statham fought enormous sharks in every movie. I would say that the woman in the movie was too young/hot for him but he dates young/hot models in real life so I can't say anything.

Skyscraper - anticipated it being bad, but it was only pretty bad. 6/10.

Rampage - 3/10 very lazily done.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

"Catch me if you can" was awesome, in that not only was it genius, but he eventually helped our nation by showing faults in our system regarding counterfeiting.

Fun fact: Abignale was one of Johnny Carson's favorite guests.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

"A Perfect World" 8-10. Back when Costner was on top. Directed and co-starring Eastwood also works.

"Wild Tales" 8-10. I don't typically like foreign films, but if you can handle subtitles and like Black Mirror, this is right up your alley.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Trailer for both.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Unbroken. Good film, huge story compared to the book. I think if Jolie had simply added another 20-25 minutes of Zamperini's post-war struggles, this would have been the perfect film. as it stands 7.5/10

Then the Jack Black movie Bernie caught my eye. Watched it, it was okay. With the talent in the film it should have been better, or else they needed a bit more character development. okay "video movie". 6/10

19. Buck Turgidson

Bah, Bernie was great...if for nothing other than the interviews with the locals (and most of them were actual locals).

Watched 2 movies by the same director back to back: Black Death and Triangle. If you like weird, kinda-creepy, kinda-violent, kinda-thought-provoking stuff, go for it: one has serious religious overtones, the other is a time-loop.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pet sematary 8/10. The ratings weren't good but it was definitely worth it . Fresh new plot for me reminded me of hereditary with the creepy feels. Never saw the original one

#7920 cheke64, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019