1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RANT: Formatted to fit your TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFW_Rockets_Fan, May 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

It is time for them to change the message before movies. I have a wide screen TV, so it has not been formatted to fit my TV.

It should read something like, "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit the old TV you sold in a garage sale a while back."

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Yeah, It's still not widescreen format though.

Why doesn't HBO, pay per view, etc., have a widescreen channel? I hate watching movies in fullscreen format.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They need to just broadcast everything in widescreen. People will get used to it quickly.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The HD versions of HBO and Showtime on Time warner are all in widescreen.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Unfortunately, we still can't escape Pan & Scam even on the HD channels. HBO and ABC have a habit of cropping 2.35:1 movies to fill the 1.78:1 dimensions of a widescreen TV set. Fortunately, Showtime shows a lot more respect for OAR.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hate full screen movies. You miss so much of the action. Widescreen is just so much better.

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Thank you, somebody that agrees with me ranting on why the hell people prefer to buy Full Screen versions of DVD rather than Widescreen.

I wrote a rant about it in my blog a few months ago and here is my entry:

For my little rant for the week, a few weeks ago, I was buying a DVD at Circuit City and while I was waiting in line, I saw this elderly couple asking the sales person if they had any "FULL SCREEN" versions of Lord of the Rings: Two Towers on DVD. I swear, why do people buy FULL SCREEN DVDs? Part of the joy of DVDs is that its at the highlest quailty picture and want you to know that you are NOT watchinig a damn VHS. People b*tch about black bars that are placed on the top and bottom of the screen, not all of us have a 13 inch TV. People like this make places like Target, CompUSA, and Blockbuster have MORE copies of the full screen rather than widescreen. Its pointless to watch a movie on DVD if its going to be full screen.I also hate it where DVDs used to have BOTH formats on a single DVD, but now movie distributors are being smart and releasing them separately, cause their some desperate mofos out there that want both.

8. neXXes

neXXes Member

A few friends of mine used to work at Blockbuster during high school, and people would get angry when they didn't have full screen version of something they wanted to watch.

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

You should move to the UK. We don't have "full-screen" versions of DVDs, they are all widescreen. Or you can't get the film in widescreen at all.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

iControl on Time Warner has Wide Screen format available for most of it's movies. It's isn't HD or digital sound but it is widescreen.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Seems to me that if the movie you're watching doesn't stand up without you seeing that extra centimeter, or whatever, then it's not that good a movie.

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

In some cases, you're missing half the movie.

And since the director took the time to frame the shots a certain way, it seems silly to discard that and, in some cases, not even show the important part of the movie (I've seen P&S jobs where the couple sitting on either side of the frame were chopped off and we simply saw the background with their noses occassionally popping in on either side).

To me, it's not an issue of widescreen being the be-all/end-all, it's the idea that the original aspect ratio should be respected.

I don't know why people would want to watch a movie with as much as half the picture chopped off. Pan & Scan is the colorization of the new millineum.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

WS all the way for me I couldnt imagine seeing some of these movies in fullscreen it just takes away a lot of the feel to the movie. More and more channels are slowly switching to WS for tv shows and everything which is good to see.

As for Bailey I wouldnt mind getting some UK dvds but it takes so much longer on an avg dvd to be released there and a lot of stuff tends to be edited for uk versions of movies.

I did order the original he-man dvds from the uk kinda sucks its only 6 eps per dvd but its better than nothing. The uk generally has more american televsion on dvd there first which is odd but true