1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Booker for
    Jalen
    Adams
    Tate
    Londale
    All net picks
    Future frp rockets

ApolloRLB and Y2JT like this.
  2. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -7.7 ppg, -7.3 rpg, and +0.8 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Dejounte Murray
    27 year old, 6-5, 180 lb SG from Washington
    21.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.3 apg in 35.0 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] A.J. Griffin, Jr.
    20 year old, 6-6, 220 lb SG from Duke
    2.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    22 year old, 6-4, 186 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    18.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.4 apg in 30.6 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jabari Smith, Jr.
    20 year old, 6-11, 220 lb F from Auburn
    13.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.6 minutes in 2023-2024

3. conquistador#11

Are you guys good with Stone intentionally not making any trades to force Ime into trusting Amen and Cam?
    at the cost of 5 losses in the standings? Would still like Hield here but I'd say it was a genius Jed mind trick on Ime. Who da real player, play boi.

A healthy club for next season:
    that's every roster spot covered, depending on if you keep the pick or trade it.
    Alpi
    Bari
    Eason
    Amen
    FVV
    Green
    Brooks
    Cam
    Aquaman
    Sheppard
    Tate, come on you know he isn't going anywhere

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it came down to a limited number of players available and the prices being too high for the ones that were. He turned the Oladipo expiring contract into an additional year of trade asset. He's going to have $38M in expiring contracts this summer ($80M when you consider FVV 3rd year team option) and an additional first round draft pick to offer. I think he is going superstar hunting this offseason. If he misses out, I would still expect to come away with a pretty good consolation prize as he has plenty of ammo.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Offseason: Green and Tate to Charlotte for Grant Williams, Nick Richard and right to swap FRPs in 2025.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thinking about OKC's roster situation after just having played them--how about sending Dillon over there for Cason Wallace in the offseason? That way they can move on from Giddey and replace him with another defender/enforcer type to go with Dort. Contending teams are always looking for those kinds of roleplayers. We might have to take back some other salary as well in the deal.

From our perspective, we suddenly have a lot of wing/forward depth but our backcourt badly needs a shooter. If Tari can get himself healthy before next season, or if you're one of those who sees Jabari as a small forward and wants us to add a rim protecting PF or C, Dillon is starting to look expendable.

I've always been high on Cason, and he's looked good so far this season off their bench. Better shooter than anybody on our roster and should be able to play either guard position for us, depending on where Amen ends up.

7. theDude

Supporting Member

I think Stone will definitely be looking for a bigger player than this, but it would fix some things short-term.

Green + frp ('26 BKN) for Kyle Kuzma

The Rockets could insert Kuzma at SF and slide Brooks to SG. This would give the Wizards the 2 FRP (or equivalent value) that they want for Kuzma, while improving our lineup. The Wizards have benched Poole, so they are obviously not happy there. As much disdain as Green receives here, he's better than Poole. This would be a backup plan for the Rockets if a trade for a star doesn't materialize. It also leaves us some more options for making trades down the road. I just have a hard time believing we will go into next year with Green on the team.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Since it was reported that the Rockets made Jalen Green available at the trade deadline, here’s my pipe dream gm-smoking-crack trade.

Jalen + BKN picks and other assets/sweetners for Brandon Miller.

Charlotte gets another exciting player to pair with LaMelo Ball to bring more fans to the games. A run and gun style with LaMelo throwing lobs to Jalen will bring excitement and buzz to a city that seems to have lost some of that glitz after LaMelo was drafted.

9. HealthyHamstring

The past 2 posts highlight the question of the offseason

Who can the Rockets get with Jalen Green + 2024 BKN 1st Round Pick as the backbone of the offer?

10. theDude

Supporting Member

Any player mentioned at the deadline that did not get moved will likely get revisited this summer, along with those on teams that spiral the remainder of the season. The Hawks have been spinning their wheels and would like to move Dejounte Murray, and possibly a few others. They may decide to blow the whole thing up and trade Trae, too. There might be plenty of plundering of the Hawks this offseason. Murray for Green would be an upgrade.

Kuzma is definitely a candidate to be moved out of Washington as he is too old for a rebuild that is just starting. They need to use him to bring in picks and young players. They've got some young guards, but they are still projects, while you could plug Green in and count on at least 20 a night. Tyus Jones is a free agent this summer. They could slide Green into his cap figure and actually save a few million, then let Poole play PG.

Dorian Finney-Smith is a name I heard mentioned, but the price tag of more than 2 FRP for a 30yo who could opt out after next season seems a bit high. The Nets appear just to be dug in on this roster and determined to make it work somehow.

Andrew Wiggins is having an awful year. With Klay Thompson a free agent this summer, they could bring Green in to see if he can give the team a shot in the arm. This trade appears to work with just the two of them trading teams, though with Wiggins being older and having an additional year, GSW would need to attach assets for me to consider this.

Jalen + FVV for D'Angelo Russell + Rui Hachimura just because you always hear that the Lakers want to trade Russell. Just thought I would throw this one in there.

I don't recall hearing any other players actually being discussed in trades that make sense for the Rockets.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. HealthyHamstring

Jalen Green with RFA control + #8 pick (even in a bad draft) should land you someone closer to the Murray/Kuzma level rather than a definite role player like DFS

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Kuzma would be useful here. But if Stone is good at wheeling and dealing, selling Green's upside alone should be enough to net you Kuz. Adding a pick is kinda overpaying.

Green + salary filler is enough. If Stone is really good, convince them to throw in Kispert.

Kuz has imperfections and is much older. If we get him, it'll be just to use him for a few years.

------
    Was reported there was an offer for Kuz this trade deadline. I wanted to say it was the Mavs. (memory fuzzy... likely before the PJ Washingtin deal). The offer didn't blow Wiz's away, they were on the fence, so Wiz GM actually asked how Kuz felt about going. Kuz said NO.

Unlike Beal, Kuz doesn't have a no trade clause, but when on the fence Wiz GM asked what Kuz thought. Speculation is that Kuz values being featured and being a lead shot taker. He wasn't a fan of being a 3rd wheel (behind a Luka/Kyrie). There's a myth that everyone wants to play with a ball dominant Luka. Kuz has a ring already, it seems like playing time and having his own team was more attractive.

Things are fluid, so he may feel different down the road, but factor that in if people want him here.

p.s. If another GM makes a a solid offer, Wiz GM is not going to care about Kuz's feelings, they'd just ship him. His descending contract was meant to be traded. Just that this time, they consulted the player.

I know peeps are down on JGreen, not arguing either way, but as far as market value, if we offered Jalen Green, Wiz would foam at the mouth, they might even attach picks to Kuz for Green if Stone is good at his job. Don't underestimate the power of selling upside and a young age. Even on this board, we see how often it used to defend bad basketball from prospects.

#1712 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    theDude likes this.
  13. theDude

Supporting Member

I read somewhere that they were looking for two firsts or equivalent value. I assume equivalent value would mean a recent draft pick with upside would substitute for a pick. That high asking price is probably why he didn’t get moved at the deadline.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kuzma is one of those guys I'm not sure I'd want at any price. Inefficient chuckers who don't play defense just don't do it for me

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yea, don’t get the infatuation with Kuzma. I’d rather keep the pick and get another project then spend it on the likes of Kuzma.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

Would have to be a sign-and-trade with Quickley getting paid. I would guess his contract should be roughly comparable to Dillon's. Toronto gets its Anunoby replacement (hailing from near Toronto, no less) and gets to take a gamble on Jalen's upside instead of committing to a big contract to Quickley who is probably just a solid starter. We get our starting shooting guard who can actually shoot and free up the logjam at small forward. Boucher is mainly to make the salaries match but does give us some length off the bench.

theDude likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Another somewhat-outlandish idea I had was to try and engage Morey on talks to sign-and-trade for Maxey--probably as a three-team deal but maybe not. The core of the deal would probably be FVV for Maxey. I think FVV and Brooks are the players who closest-match Morey's current timeline of trying to win a ring before Embiid ages out of relevance. But just Fred is not anywhere near enough value going Morey's way--Maxey is already better than he is, and much younger.

So my thought was, what if we used our draft capital to go get Morey another guy. Some players that jump to mind:

Lauri Markkanen
    Jerami Grant
    Kyle Kuzma
    Dejounte Murray
    Miles Bridges

Alternatively--how highly would Morey value Dillon Brooks and a draft pick or two?

The question of whether Daryl would even give Stoney the time of day on a trade like this would probably boil down to the 76ers' evaluation of Maxey's future ceiling. Is there more in there or is he already near his peak? You don't trade him for basically any return if he you see him as a future superstar, but if you think he's pretty much done developing and is what he is, maybe you consider it if you think what you're getting in return wins you a championship in the next three years.

Personally, I value Maxey pretty highly and would give up FVV + several draft picks for him.

#1717 OremLK, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  18. R=$

R=$ Member

Change in Team Outlook: -8.4 ppg, -5.3 rpg, and -2.8 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Lauri Markkanen
    26 year old, 7-0, 240 lb SF from Arizona
    23.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.0 apg in 32.9 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    18.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.3 apg in 30.7 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jabari Smith, Jr.
    20 year old, 6-11, 220 lb F from Auburn
    13.2 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.5 apg in 32.0 minutes in 2023-2024

19. R=$

R=$ Member

Change in Team Outlook: -12.4 ppg, -8.3 rpg, and -3.5 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Lauri Markkanen
    26 year old, 7-0, 240 lb SF from Arizona
    23.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.0 apg in 32.9 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Taylor Hendricks
    20 year old, 6-9, 215 lb F from UCF
    5.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 17.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    18.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.3 apg in 30.7 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jabari Smith, Jr.