1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Backup plan PG AD Cousions Kawahii

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Eliminate Melo. I'm fine with Carroll. DJ isn't likely to opt out from his 24 M contract. Seth is nice, but who will be traded for him?

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sure. I will get back to you. Ive been working crazy amount of hrs hrs recently.
    Of course moving Ryan Anderson factors into the equation. Who is attached to Ryan if anyone. I wouldn't hold my breath on SnT with Cleveland. They don't want the Ryan Anderson contract hamstringing them. Potential buyers of Cavs would balk at that addition. Too hard to move plus Love is the same but slightly better.

saleem likes this.
  4. saleem

Thanks Apache.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Just thinking outside the box here. Would you do a Ryan Anderson + Eric Gordon + two first round picks another positive asset for Jimmy Butler and Andrew Wiggins? I know Wiggins contract is as bad or worst as Anderson's but at least he fits what the Rockets do.

Will that be ludacris?

D-rock and kwakmeister like this.
  6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Assuming it works, the downside to that trade is that Wiggins could turn out to be worse than Gerald Green, plus Butler and CP3 be injured a lot. The upside is you could have CP3, Butler, Ariza, Tucker, Capela being potentially the best defensive lineup in the league, with offensive studs backing everyone up in Harden, Wiggins, and Green. I don't think Minnesota agrees to that though.

D-rock likes this.
  7. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I got **** on for a similar proposal but dude I am with you. The team gets younger and today's game is defined by the wings. Ultimately you lose a giant zero in Anderson. Forget about the money, money can't play any of the 5 positions. You lose a giant zero and pick up a kid with potential and a very high contract that is bad however you want to define it. AT LEAST HE GOT MINUTES. He's 22/23 and the Rockets youthful future is currently tied into Zhou Qi and Chinanu. Capela if resigned. (and we should) So you get a replacement for Anderson and Butler is a serviceable replacement for Gordon. I'd rather have Gordon but I put more weight into experience within the system than others do. Gordon certainly has shot the 3 at a better stroke throughout his career. But regardless you gotta give up something to get something. If you could do just Anderson and rookies or picks for him, more power to ya but if you cant, then whatever it's a wash. Regardless the fact that you lose one rotational player to grab 2 is just fantastic. A young prospect tied to the team for 5 years with Chris Paul for 5 years and Harden for 4, sign me up. Let our offensive coaches work with the boy to give him a role.

I followed Wiggy in college due to a thread on this forum IIRC, Wiggins something like the next coming of Lebron. He's not, but he's still pretty damn good and being wasted in Minny.

8. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

If we aren't big game hunting the two moves I would love to see would be a straight swap of Ryan Anderson for Enes Kanter (include picks, Kanter is a way better player) and then pick up Tyreke Evans. Our starting 5 is pretty damn good. Our bench though could use some work and both of these players would bolster that easy. Kanter is a walking double double. He has a nose for the ball and can put up 20 on any given night. When the offense has a dry spell, he is the spark to break us out of the funk, much like CP3 does by changing the way we come at you.

Tyreke Evans is just a great personnel fit who can guard multiple positions and another handler to bring another dynamic at you. What's his cost going to be?

As a contingency plan in case we miss on the big names, these two are targets I would like to see. I might be undervaluing Kanter.

9. Rocketsfanguy

Rocketsfanguy Member

I saw something about the Grizzlies attaching the number for pick along with Parsons do y'all think we should trade Ryan Anderson for Parsons and the number 4 pick

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yes. Unfortunately, Memphis does not

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t think the Knicks would be interested in that at all. But also, if the game plan is to beat the Warriors, I think Kanter might be useless. We could barely utilize Clint against them. The way the league is now you only really need one center.

I’ve always doubted Evans but for sure he’s an option for this team.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Let me start off by saying I’m not big on PG’s under 6’4” nowadays in the NBA. CP3 did well pushing Durant out
    on the perimeter; but it’s no contest for a 6’11” Durant to lean against CP3—spin off—get a good shot off. Defensive
    help has to cheat too much imo. CP3 brings a lot on offense though so there is a trade off. Avery Bradley
    is an under 6’4” guard that I admire. He plays much bigger than his size in my opinion.

Draft depending on need.....players numbered, but not in any particular order......grouped by position.
    1) C/PF Chimezie Metu: 6’10” USC. From NBADraft.net. Overall score 89.
    Scored an 8 of 10 in: Size.....Strength......Quickness......Jump Shot........NBA ready......Rebounding.
    7 of 10 in: Defense........Potential.

2) C/PF Jarred Vanderbilt: 6’9” Kentucky: McDonalds All-American. NBADraft net gave him an overall grade of 90.
    Scored a 9 of 10 in: Size
    Scored an 8 of 10 in: Athleticism.........Defense........Quickness......Potential......Passing.
    Scored a 7 of 10 in: Strength..........Leadership.......Jump Shot......Ball Handling.....Intangibles.
    Good Stop-n-Pop, high riser that is seen as point-forward potential.

Some JaMychal Green athleticism.

3) C/PF Billy Preston: 6’10” Kansas: Capela potential with 3-point range. A top-30 recruit in 2017 class,
    Preston didn’t play for Kansas this past season due to an FBI investigation, but has good projectibility
    for an NBA Power Forward. When you mentioned Thad Young in the past, I also mentioned how I
    wished the Rockets could find a Andray Blatche type. Preston may turn out to be better than Blatche....
    plus better shot selection with the guidance of the Rockets players and coaching staff.

4) SG Rawle Alkins: 6’4” Arizona: I see a lot of Harden, Donovan Mitchell, Tyreke Evans, Oladipo type blends
    in Rawle. Plus Harden likes Arizona players. Not sure where Eric Gordon will be, so Rawle can help
    facilitate off the bench (deep bench??).

Here is Mitchell in college.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n1InPTVMBLc

5) PG/SG DeAnthony Melton: 6’3” USC: Melton was forced to sit all season due to USC-FBI case, but is a
    combo guard who can distribute, score, defend, rebound, get steals. This goes back to my reference to
    Avery Bradley in the beginning of this post. I could take a chance on this kid....or if, like you say just go with
    Markell Brown. I’m not sure who would be better? Ceiling?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cbSDkMNUo

Honorable mention:
    Tony Carr, 6’4” PG. NBADraft net scored him at 89. Video didn’t wow me. They compare him to Sam Cassell.
    I didn’t see Sam in Tony.

Keenan Evans, 6’3” PG/SG. NBADraft net scored him at 89.
    Scored an 8 of 10 in: Athleticism........Quickness.......Leadership.......Jump Shot........NBA ready.......Ball
    Handling.........Intangibles.
    Scored a 6 of 10 in passing.
    Reminds me of Cutino Mobley.

Shake Milton, 6’5” Guard. If he falls this low.

Isaac Bonga, 6’10” Point Guard. Project that may lead into the next “Greek Freak”
    If he falls this low. Needs some polished work. If we have to include Zhou Qi in deal?.... In comes Bonga.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5CBag_7Bw

The small forwards that I had my eyes on a month ago have moved up most draft boards.

Take care Saleem. I respect you much my friend.

D-rock, ilovehtownbb and saleem like this.
  13. saleem

I really appreciate all the hard work that you put in to give us your wonderful posts. I wish you a wonderful upcoming weekend. I respect you very much too, dear friend. Go Houston Rockets!

14. saleem

15. saleem

I think Metu and Preston are certain 1st rounders. Melton is better than Markel as a passer and on defense. Melton needs to improve his jumper. He looks like a high second rounder. Bonga would be fine at 46. I need to see more of Vanderbilt and Rawle before forming an opinion. I don't watch much college basketball, because I only focus on players who translate well to the NBA.
    I don't know how good the Rocket scouts are, but they seem to be average at best. Ending up with Nanu as a second rounder was alarming. Morey's best second rounders were Parsons. Landry and Trez. We need athletic players with good ability, physical and mental strength who can fit in on the Rockets. GM Harden got Gerald Green when we were desperate for players. Morey seems to be slipping to me. Let's hope for better drafting in the future. Go Houston Rockets!

Edit: I didn't realize that Preston ended up in Bosnia. I like his explosiveness, and ability to run the floor. He can become a good shooter. His defense is weak. He could fall in the second round. I still think he will be gone before the 46th pick, unless, they are red flags about him.

#815 saleem, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good take Saleem. I went mostly by majority of mock drafts and where the Rockets select. There is still time
    for players to climb and fall. This year is close to having the top 65 of the best 100 prospects being actually NBA
    slash 2-way quality material imo. Next year should be like around 75 to 85 of the top 100 being draft worthy. NBA
    might want to consider going 3 rounds next year.

saleem likes this.
  17. saleem

This draft is certainly deep. Sleeper guards like Ponds and Brunson are good. Ponds can flat out score. Brunson could be available at 46. He is a potentially solid backup 1. The Rockets really need help there. Aaron Jackson won't cut it there.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't believe that Minnesota would even consider that deal but it also doesn't work cap-wise.

Butler and Wiggins make a combined $45.5M while Anderson and Gordon make a combined $33.5M. That doesn't work.

19. saleem

Makes no basketball sense with Butler and Wiggins on huge contracts.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess we get a New Thread on July 1st

Rocket River