1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no need for Morey to negotiate with them.

lionaire and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. saleem

He is out with an illness. There is no mention of any injury, unlike with Al Horford, who is out with a shoulder injury. I doubt if Hayward is going to be traded on December 15th. My feeling is that Angie will re-evaluate him by the February 7th deadline, as an add on for AD, if he is playing really well.

3. saleem

Yes, the source is ESPN. I would be satisfied with either one of them despite their UFA status. Joseph is making 7.3 M, He is 27 yrs old with 7 years experience. His defense is good. Collison is 31 yrs old, with 9 yrs experience. His contract is 10 M. His passing is better than Joseph's but his weakness is on defense. Knight's injury status makes me nervous. My preference would be Cory.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yep. Not to mention he’s a champion. And also he’s 6’3 and collision is pushing 6’0

saleem likes this.
  5. saleem

A very good point. Much appreciated.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25524321/nba-trades-see-john-wall-markelle-fultz-demar-derozan

An ESPN+ article spitballing on trade ideas. This is the Rockets mention. I haven't looked at anything, but could the Rockets get out of the LT next season in a JR Smith deal as it mentions below? @BimaThug

The Cavs go hunting for picks
    Pelicans get: Alec Burks and Rodney Hood

Cavaliers get: Solomon Hill and New Orleans' 2019 first-round pick (top-10 protected)

Combined with ...

Rockets get: JR Smith

Cavaliers get: Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss and Houston's 2019 first-round pick (lottery protected)

Tim Bontemps: In tandem, these deals accomplish all that each team is looking to do during the next couple of months.

Cleveland, which has already moved on from Kyle Korver and George Hill to the tune of a first- and two second-round picks, would take on an additional $28 million in 2019-20 salaries for two more first-rounders. This would have the added benefit of allowing Cleveland to enter next season with around $80 million in expiring deals, giving the Cavs maximum flexibility moving forward to either continue flipping contracts for dead-money picks or open up reams of cap space in 2020. One wrinkle: They'd have to find a way to get under the luxury tax before the 2020 trade deadline to avoid paying the penalty for a likely lottery team.

New Orleans, meanwhile, would get a pair of rotation players to plug into a thin wing rotation as the Pelicans try to convince Anthony Davis to stick around. It also would open up an additional chunk of cap space next summer by eliminating Hill's deal from the books.

Houston might be able to rehabilitate Smith, giving the Rockets another swing man who can shoot and guard a little, but this deal is mostly financially motivated. Not only would the Rockets save about $8.5 million in combined payroll and luxury tax payments, but if they chose to stretch the $3.7 million guarantee on Smith's contract for next season next summer, Houston would also potentially give itself a shot to not have to pay any luxury tax next season.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Available players:
    Heat would like to deal Ellington to a playoff team for a first-round pick.
    Magic would like to deal Ross to a playoff team for a good player.
    Terrence Ross has so far PPG 14.1.
    Morey has zero interest in a good shooter but Bum JR and Bum KCP.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Heat interested in trading James Johnson?

HP3 likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I read this too and, unfortunately, it makes all the sense in the world from a financial perspective...which might be the slant that will drive a trade like this to occur.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think Cavs are more interested in Rockets deal because Rockets are willing to offer more in 2019 First round pick.

11. saleem

It's utter nonsense from a basketball point of view. Winning more games will sell more tickets despite Houston lower bowl problems etc.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright ..look, I know he's got a reputation as an idiot....but BUT, it is it possible that he could actually play well with us???

13. steddinotayto

lol i'm with you 100%. It does not make any sense to trade any valuable asset(s) like a 1st Rounder to obtain the services of Earl Joseph Smith.

saleem likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

Well if "well" = being better than MCW then I would have to say, yea, I think he could play well with us lol.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

I get it, Im not into giving up a first rounder for him...but at the very least I think he can be more consistent on both ends than Gerald or at least I think he has the ability.

16. saleem

I wouldn't give up any assets for J.R. He used to be a useful off the bench player occasionally, but he has declined with time. Even Corey Brewer might be better than him. At least he will bring some energy and be on good behavior. Having said that , there is no need for him either on the Rockets.

17. fattz

fattz Member

Paul to the Lakers for a poo poo plater of short contracts and Ball, please.

The baggage of older and less than talent are place holders (cut) for the additional players needed to make Paul’s contract numbers work.

#597 fattz, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  18. rockets13champs

Damn...Name is fattz for a reason

fattz likes this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ross is averaging 14.1 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.8 assists while shooting 39.1 percent from three-point range. Ellington, meanwhile, is averaging 9.7 points and hitting 37.4 percent of his three-pointers. Either player would be a solid addition for the Rockets.

Chriss/pick for either, rotation player.

ApacheWarrior and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It could get the Rockets down CLOSE to the luxury tax threshold, but even then, it would be difficult to field a team featuring Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, Tucker and a remotely competent supporting cast without paying SOME luxury tax. (Remember, Harden's Designated Veteran Player Extension kicks in next year, so his salary will increase from $30.4M to an estimated $38.2M.)

Deuce likes this.