1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I for one would not be against Eric Gordon being moved. I'm tired of seeing him dribble the ball off his shins. His one main job is to hit 3's and that's been touch and go. Bad, then good, then suck again.

JamalP. likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not needle movers....but if one was looking for potentially undervalued youth pieces to take a shot on...might check out the Kings.

PG Mason and PF Skal are two guys that appear out of their rotation.

MC31B, fattz, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

not needle movers is a huge understatement!!

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There might be moves to be made "at the margins" that help the team find some balance in terms of depth. That could lead to a chain reaction with improved play with the guys that are currently here. Sometimes there are players that aren't seeing their true value where they are. That's what Morey saw when he traded for Kyle Lowry when he was in Memphis.

Not saying those guys are that. But you have to evaluate everything. Sometimes there aren't obvious answers. You have to look around corners.

6. JayZ750

Absolutely. But this is definitely not Kyle Lowry. To me, Frank Mason is barely an NBA player. He got minutes on a crappy team last year, more than anything because he does have high bball IQ. Skal would have been one of the guys you mentioned last year. Heck, Chriss is the same type this year. MAYBE he still has a tiny bit of potential upside, but would be a fairly neutral move at best. Skal would go from sitting on the Kings bench to sitting on the Rockets bench.

If you have said someone like Antonio Blakeney that'd be a sneaky good add... but don't see why the Bulls would trade him.

saleem likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wasn't trying to equate the two in a vacuum. I was merely trying to opine on the thought process of adding undervalued talent at the margins as a way to jump start the team in other areas. Basically there are ways to improve the team through a chain reaction of events. And it isn't alway obvious. (like Butler etc)

8. JayZ750

I'm not following entirely.

The Rockets make some kind of move for one or both of Mason and Skal. What chain reaction of events would follow that would be helpful??

You think that if a GOOD deal comes along that requires MCW in the deal, they are going to pass because at the moment they don't really have another PG to speak of, so that if they were able to first swing a deal for Frank Mason, then they would do that deal?

Sorry, just trying to understand....

9. basketballholic

Frank Mason would be a rotation player here. Yes, he is a good player. Good defender, shooter, handle, passer. The whole package in a small package but the whole package.

Deuce and BaselineFade like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Paul, MCW, Melo & Green

for

Pope, Rondo, Lonzo & Beasley

Gets us out of Pauls contract for expiring's + Lonzo. Pope would be a nice fit for us, Rondo and Lonzo would help Harden run the offense in Pauls absence. Most of all, having Rondo, Pope, Beasley & Chriss expiring's contracts would set us up nicely for trades.

fattz and JamalP. like this.
  11. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Mentioned before that the George Hill non-guaranteed contract was very intriguing, as well as him being better than any other bench PG on the Rockets, but that is gone now. Brandon Knight + lottery protected 1st and 2nd round pick swap for George Hill seems like it wouldn't have been a bad idea since he can shoot, defend and also guard both PG, and decently enough at SG.

cdxiong likes this.
  12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Something worth noting: MKG can hit the three pointer now.

Charlotte has been using him all over the place (3, 4, occasional small-ball 5).

He’s a player that could single-handedly change our defensive culture and help us regain our mojo on that end of the floor.

That said, Charlotte probably has little incentive to move him unless they can attach one of their bad contracts.

Deuce and basketballholic like this.
  13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

He's made 6 3-pt shots this season.

BMoney and BaselineFade like this.
  14. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Paul changes with wizard bell. Or try to get kevin love and move Tucker to small forward

15. fattz

fattz Member

I will take it a step further... I would rather have Ball in 2 years anyway. Let Paul, Melo & LaBron take on the world in their mid 30’s. Please, do the trade trade. It’s only a matter of time before a steroid investigation takes down LaBron anyway, IMO. He doing some humanly impossible things for a PERSON of his age. Look a picture of him through the years and thing of how one’s body ages and he is putting on muscle mass and keeping his speed and flexibility. The man is human and in his mid 30’s.

16. baller4life315

Fair point, but I follow the Hornets pretty closely. His game, despite the reduced minutes and role, has actually improved across the board.

We’re talking dramatic improvements in BLK%, AST% and TRB%. His +/-‘s have always been outstanding. Now he’s improving in other areas and, yes, seemingly improved the range on his jump shot also. Obviously, he’s going to have to hit the three consistently before he gets regarded as a legit 3&D player, but he’s a hard worker and I think the improved shooting numbers are in line with his progression in the other areas I mentioned.

basketballholic and BaselineFade like this.
  17. baller4life315

This is the best deal I can come up with to A) address the depth issue, B) acquire a defensive wing and C) retool on the fly without absorbing massive long-term salary:

EG/Chriss/BK + two firsts for MKG/Marvin/Lamb

Charlotte probably says no, but they do it to get something to show for three potential free agents. Lamb is unrestricted, while Marvin and MKG both have player options. EG is still a competent player and arguably the best player in the deal.

We do it for defense and depth. MKG’s defense is borderline elite, and as I’ve posted above, has shown improvement across the board in other areas. It would be like having a second PJ Tucker. Marvin is a reliable 3&D player. Lamb would fill EG’s role off of the bench. Nets us three rotation worthy players without long-term risk.

Potential death lineups:

CP3
    Harden
    MKG
    Marvin
    Tucker

CP3
    Harden
    Lamb
    MKG
    Tucker

Again, Charlotte probably says no, but this certainly checks off a lot of boxes from our end.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I like the depth it adds. My issue is it still doesn’t address what I believe is one of the many issues facing this team. A knock down 39% or better 3 point shooter at the 3. We shoot so many 3’s that I think this is an area that must must be addressed if we are trading EG. If MKG could become that I would be pleasantly surprised, but surprised none the less. I do think a trade like that would add a lot quality to the roster though.

Maybe I’m being greedy.

baller4life315 likes this.
  19. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Not a home run trade, but if the Rockets don't end up getting a great player then they can always try to shed salary for next season.

Brooklyn trades:
    DeMarre Carrol
    Ed Davis

Houston trades:
    Brandon Knight
    Nene
    2019 first

Rockets add two "better" rotation players and also shed Knight and Nene's contracts. Davis will be the new back up C for the season, and will be more reliable than Isaiah and Nene. Carroll will replace House and Clark. At the very least you are getting out of ~$18,000,000 in guaranteed money next season at the cost of a 1st. It won't give us any cap space, but it could help a lot in terms of luxury tax which is important, unfortunately. Of course, I think many of us would rather keep that 1st instead, but just a thought. I think many of us would be ok with it if the Rockets got back actual good players on longer contracts, but it's just an idea on what kind of trade the Rockets could do.

#499 oogie boogie, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Robin Lopez get him now Morey.