1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Radio Shakeup - 790 chooses Josh Innes over Adam Clanton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Man, Chris Gordy got to have one of the worst voices in radio. Such a pain to listen.

Ross V OTOH owns.

juanito713 likes this.
  3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Agreed; I can do a wicked Gordy impression; gotta get the chin tucked in to nail it.

"Too bad Sports RV, you gotta get up early to beat the Gordy, grabbing the ST790 mobile unit and I am GONE! You'll have to broadcast the Rockets playoff game from up @ the iheartmeadia studios...! Gordy wins again!!"

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. vince

vince Member

I guess with lightning fast internet updates, podcasts, YouTube, and fan message boards, the sports radio shows need to shock their audience with something to keep the dial tuned in.

I can’t say I was a tremendous fan, but Adam Clanton was listenable. Even Josh Innes is less and less troll like, everyone who listens to the Astros or Rockets on the Radio, has to have caught their shows after turning off the radio after a game and when you turn it in Innes or Clanton is on. Innes used to get under my skin, but he’s toned it down as far as I can tell.

Sad for Clanton, he seemed like a good guy.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its been a refreshing time to be able to just devote listening/drive time to podcasts (including local ones by Palillo and Granato), along with better done national ones that really go in-depth into NBA/MLB talk, and more recently NFL draft.

You don't have to sit through the endless 10-15 minute commercial blocks. No idiot talk.

The AM format is definitely dying a slow painful death. I just never understood why if 790 was the flagship of the Rockets, they'd voluntarily encourage a radio host who admittedly is anti-Rockets?

vince likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Does Clanton still get to call Rockets games? He is/was employed by the Rockets and used to call games on 790. I wonder what happens now...

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure they'll find a fill-in option.

While they are technically employees of the Rockets as well, the flagship is still responsible for furnishing the necessary broadcast equipment (and broadcasters) to go on the air.

Pretty sure they informed the Rockets of these decisions as they were happening. Its not like he's a long-time voice that is synonymous with the team. Virtually anybody could do his Rockets job in a heartbeat... which was largely just compiling the highlights and coordinating the pre/post-game shows.

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I wouldn't think so, he gone. With Craig moving over to full-time radio broadcasts on away games MT can fill in AC's sidekick role...

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

[​IMG]

theimpossibles1 and vince like this.
  10. conquistador#11

Is that all that happened? It doesn't feel like what was said warrants a suspension or someone losing their job like that and I don't like them very much.
    more likely that 790 is using this feud to retroactively punish ines for the superbowl incident while getting rid of Adam for being Adam. Both these guys can be toxic.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am pretty sure they could have fired him for that. The Superbowl thing worked for Innes. After that their rating passed up 610 whereas before they were trailing. It kind of sucks having a stunt like that actually help him.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good. Innes is out of sight out of mind for me, so I couldn’t care less about him. Glad that Clanton is in that category now as well.

I would love another football centric show featuring Jones, Braddock and Lance Z. It’s a pipe dream but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

13. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

Josh Innes is a racist piece of trash. He just wants to do shock radio. He should partner with Howard Stern already.

14. likestohypeguy

15. GageD

GageD Member

who are the sponsors of the josh innes show?

16. Nero

Nero Member

It is apparently an odd thing, to think for yourself and to form your own opinion about things.

I have been listening to Houston sports radio for a long long time, I remember listening to Lance and Granato somewhere around '97, in the wee early hours of the morning. Listened to them for a long time on whatever station they were on. I didn't yet know about the nomadic nature of these guys' professions.

Anyway, I liked John & Lance, and so when they inevitably moved, I found them again wherever they happened to go.

When they were on 610, that was also when I came across Charlie, and at the time he was teamed with Rich Lord. Oh my God, it was like a constant contest of who could be more insufferable! Learned to really dislike those two guys.

somewhere along the line, Clanton came into the picture, and I enjoyed him because he was talented, his Rome impression was more Rome than Rome, and so I had been a fan of his as well. And I especially liked Lance and Clanton together, it was a good combination. Lance doing Oscar De La Hoya was one of the best bits ever.

Couldn't stand any of the other guys on 610, and once Lance ended up on 790, I stopped listening to 610 entirely.

(I should add that I am not a Twitter user, and I don't use Facebook or other 'social media', except very rarely in passing.. so I literally have zero knowledge of what people do/have done/say/said on twitter.. so all of that means absolutely zero to me)

So while I was listening to 790, enjoying Lance in the AM, or whoever else they put in the mornings.. then listening to Matt at lunchtime (Gooooood Morning Stripperrrrrs!), and being on Clutchfans, I would occasionally see people complain about Josh Innes in threads here. Since I never listened to 610, I literally never ever heard the guy, not once. But I do remember that people sure did love to complain about him. Apparently he and Morey didn't get along, I don't know the details really. And there was much rejoicing when he moved to Philadelphia.

But anyway, the drive in the morning was fun with Lance or whoever else in the mornings.. Matt Thomas was great at lunch time, so I listened then too.. But the drive home.. oh hell, it was 30 minutes of Pallillo every day.. condescending, cynical, know-it-all, rude, arrogant, tired shtick, repeated every day exactly the same way. Absolutely could not stand the guy, never could. Never could understand what kind of person could ever think that guy was good, much less enjoy listening to it. But it seemed like he was the 'Godfather' on 790 or something, and that he would never be going anywhere.

So it was a big surprise/shock to me when 790 suddenly dumped CP for this guy Josh Innes, who supposedly everyone hated. I couldn't understand it. But, I couldn't stand CP, so I wasn't *upset* about it, per se.. I just didn't understand the move.

So I was kind of stuck - I was not going to start listening to 610 under any circumstances, and so on my drive home, I just left it on 790.

So that point in time was my first exposure to Innes. And rather than approach the situation with my mind already made up by everyone else telling me that Innes must be hated by all, instead, I actually just listened, out of curiosity at first, to see what all the fuss was about. And while I sort of assumed i was going to hate the guy, that he would immediately turn me off with his horribleness.. that simply never happened.

He was immediately more entertaining than Pallillo, and he didn't actually say horrible things. He was aggressively energetic, yes, defiant and unapologetic about being put in that time slot, formerly occupied by a 'beloved icon'.. I found I liked listening to his show. I liked it a hell of a lot more than any time ever listening to CP.

Then, when Lance announced that he was leaving radio, and that the station was moving Innes to the morning, well, it became my morning ride to work, and I have enjoyed it more even than the last year or so of Lance's shows on 790.

I am assuming that there are plenty of other people out there in Houston as well who also decided for themselves, rather than just blindly accepting the dogma that Innes is terrible and must be hated by all.

And yeah, he has not made a secret that he has not been a huge Harden fan in the past (although he has come around), and that he and Morey did not get along (although they actually had a pleasant cordial interview, and it was fine). So maybe he is different than he was on 610, I don't know. And after listening to all the things around 'radio row', it seems that that was more the fault of the guy from 610 than anything else.

As for Clanton, the fact that he was openly politically conservative is no different to me than how so many more media figures are so openly liberal. If you don't have a problem with any of them being politically liberal, then it would be hypocritical of you to be down on Clanton for having his own views as well. In any case, I never really listened to the afternoon show, not a fan of Sean Jones, and Braddock is just bland and forgettable, and Clanton, the few times I did hear him, just seemed lost. And having never used Twitter, whatever anyone has done or said on Twitter has never had any bearing at all on what or who I choose to listen to on the radio.

But in looking at that blog post, and listening to excepts from the broadcast (which I did NOT hear), it sounds like there must have been a lot more going on behind the scenes there, and that Clanton just wore his welcome out.

Innes' show is leading the ratings in his time slot, among the competition, and 790 is not going to mess with that, especially not to assuage a bunch of butt-hurt people who don't listen to them anyway.

But guys... so much wailing and gnashing of teeth.. and for what? Why do you guys get your panties in such knots over the guy? It's just plain weird. Chill out, you'll live longer.

buffalobills!!! and Dave2000 like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ah simpler times where sports radio talked about sports and not hot takes.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This and what moes said earlier. I've felt for a while now that Clanton was just playing up this character he created both on the radio and Twitter to ruffle feathers. I couldn't handle (no pun intended) his twitter anymore. Used to think he was a pretty good listen and now I can't stand him, he whines and complains way too much.

buffalobills!!! and LAFIRMA22 like this.
  19. brosef

brosef Member

Typical left, focus on politics. Yeah im pointing at most of yall...

20. BullRider

BullRider Member

whaaaaaaat? innes must have photos on the station manager.