1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quote of the Year #13: Ainge makes me ROTFLMAO

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, May 14, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who saw that game yesterday? I think Kenny Smith is still asking people what Ainge said on the instant replay of Bobby Jackson's miraculous, Jordan-esque reverse lay up. Bobby beats his man, but someone collapses to the rim to make him do a reverse, yet Wang is waiting on the other side of the rim for him as well. He totally has the reverse blocked (wasn't the ball in Wang's grasp for a sec) when Bobby hangs for a Jordan minute, pumps in air, and scoops in the shot. Wang has a dumbfounded look on his face, and Ainge says:

That's the opening line for the NBA Funk commercials when the ABA ball is spinning on the court.

John Thompson start laughing *way* out loud, while I think the play-by-play man managed to reach his mike kill-switch (for when they sneeze), because he went totally silent; and when he next spoke, he was still giggling out of breath like he just picked himself up off the floor.

I think that rates up as the best laugh a sportscaster has given me in about 10 yrs.

Anyone else with a funny sportscaster comment story. Not a blurper, but a quality quote.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

" How Sweet It Is"....Not that funny, but it sure is a good one. ;)

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

:D That's hilarious, heypee.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Man, Walton is like a quote machine. Yes, most of them are completely off the wall and don't make much sense, but they're still good for a laugh. My favorite that I can remember:

<i>That is arguably the worst inbounds pass in the history of the Los Angeles Clippers Franchise.</i>

That quote works on a number of different levels. It took me a moment to grasp the full hilarity of it. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I think the keyword in the quote is "arguably".

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

About Ainge...I missed that one about Wang, but I heard another one when Wang was coming into the game:

<i>..and the Mavs are now bringing in their defensive stopper.</i>

That also got a laugh out of Thompson. I think Ainge is a jackass, but I think his commentary is pretty entertaining.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That is the second time that I nearly died laughing my ass off because of a quote that involved Wang.

Don Nelson once corrected someone on the radio here in Dallas that Wang was actually pronounced Wong but that Wong had a very nice Wang.

Glorrrrrry Beeee.

7. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

By the way, what does ROTFLMAO stands for?

just wondering...

8. Houstone

Houstone Member

Rolling Over The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

Right?

9. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Yeah, I've always wondered too...

10. Holden

Holden Member

ive only seen rolling ON the floor laughing, ROTFL. and LMFAO, laughing my fat ass off, but not a combination of the two. but, i mean you get the gist.

i hate danny ainge more than any other commentator in the history of the world. i mute every game he is doing, or i change the channel. everything he says sounds like he's whining.

i love the glory be the funks on me commercial, every time the commercial comes on i laugh. if i had heard danny ainge say it, i think it would have ruined it.

i miss doug collins.

i hate bill walton, john thomson, kevin harland, danny ainge, isiah thomas, and doc rivers as basketball commentators.

:(

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Funny comment, but Ainge is still a jackass all the way.

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

I wish I could have heard the Spurs broadcasters tonight... I'd pay to hear them in pain...

I like hearing what Van Gundy has to say, even if he isn't too great at saying it

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ainge, a jackass? Just because he always p.o.'d everyone on the court as a player, instigating fights, from which he would back away and let the big brotha teammates take over? All the while with that "I didn't take the cookies, Mommy" look on his face?

Ainge, a jackass? C'mon!

:D

14. Looogie

Looogie Member

Hubie and Dick are the best Basketball Duo ever.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A jackass he may be, but that line is darned funny.

DD

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think Jeff Van Gundy is pretty damn good.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'll never forget the time that Charley Steiner of ESPN could not stop laughing when they showed an audio clip of Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem. Dude was just howling over that one. The sad thing is that I think Carl was singing at a Rockets game.

18. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

the best in my opinion is, <i><b>"He's a FLAMMMMMME THROWER".</b></i>Right after that or before that Kevin will say<b><i>"Right BETWEEN the eyes"</i></b>And then a little later if that player(usually Reggie Miller) he will say <b><i>" He's an assasin!"</i></b>

All by the Marvelous Minnesota PBP man on Fox sports as well as NBC and TNT/TBS, Kevin Harlan I can't do nothing but laugh,.it's the greatest feeling watching the player get hott, and Kevin catch fire with his array of vocabularyis quotes.

19. Nuge

Nuge Member

Rolling on the floor laughing my f*cking ass off!

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That would be ROTFLMFAO