1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quicken - Personal Finance Software

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Jun 25, 2023.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have been using Quicken for the last 25+ years. Kinda more out of habit than anything else. Having to enter stuff every month forces me to rethink my life choices ;) And at tax time, it is quick and easy to find charitable deductions.

I also have a Mint.com account, which works fine, but is cloud based. Finding stuff on Mint is less straight forward. I never really switched to Mint, since when I started using using it "cloud based' could easily mean "this goes away when/if our business model fails".

My 2014 PC desktop is now doing its best impression of a brick. I am trying to figure out what the best alternative to Quicken for a MacBook would be.

I googled the Google for the Best Personal Finance Software and got ... Empower ... which I have never heard of (I don't get out much ;) ). Does anyone here use Empower? or have any other suggestion for a Quicken alternative for MacOS?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. Poloshirtbandit

Mint used to work great for us but it's gotten progressively worse.

No Worries and arkoe like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

I've not used Mint myself, but had a colleague who did. I may hit him up to see if he still likes it. As far as alternatives, not super helpful here I'm afraid.

But good luck on finding one.

No Worries likes this.
  4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I like Mint as an overall account aggregator and for very high level trends, but its transasction categorization is crap and requires a lot of maintenance to be useful. I also don't understand why but it's not unusual for the descriptions it ends up with for odds and ends to be indecipherable which has me going back to the original account to try figure out what I'm looking at.

#4 arkoe, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    Poloshirtbandit and No Worries like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I've been using Quicken for over 20-25 years now. lol. In my current file I still have transactions from 2009, probably. I really need to clean that crap out or archive it.

My finances are pretty simple, so I only use it for paying bills and a general "what're we looking like this month?" type of information. I used Personal Capital online just for giggles in case I wanted to switch away from Quicken at some point. Personal Captial is what "became" Empower. I don't use it for much of anything anymore, so I can't compare it to Quicken much.

The only issue I have with Quicken nowadays is that it's become a yearly subscription and a lot of its connectivity with banks seem to break every year or get worse. Other than paying bills from one place, I'm not sure what else I use it for, and I can do that other places, too. Well, I do like the fact I can keep all my finances locally instead of shoving everything into the "cloud".

No Worries likes this.
  6. No Worries

I too am cloud reluctant ... but I am dreading getting data off of my dead PC desktop ... if only I had put the important sh*t on the cloud :s

7. No Worries

I am trying out Empower.

Empower connected to most but not all of my credit cards and investments. For the companies it can not connect to, it provided a way to enter data "manually" FTW.

Mint.com connects to all of my credit cards and investments.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm really not a huge fan of Empower's software...doesn't connect to as much as Mint. Mint does have a lot of manual reclassing that needs to be done. Empower is the same way.

Empower will call you a lot to try to sell you on their investment services (financial advisor).

No Worries likes this.
  9. No Worries

Well, they will be calling my home phone form 1996 :D and I have not had a home phone since 2008 ;)

Jontro likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've been using Mint since like 2010. It's pretty invaluable to my financial planning. Yes, it has gotten progressively worse over the years, but that's the free service model in a nutshell.

I've heard good things about Empower, but I'm not compelled enough to make a change.

There's also YNAB but that's a paid service.

No Worries likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, this is a good point. I did get a few calls from them in the past few years I gave them my info, but I never answer. I haven't gotten a call in a while, now that I think about it.

No Worries likes this.
  12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Sorry in advance for resurrecting this thread. I am looking for recommendations for budget planning software that does not require my data to exist on the cloud. Has anyone here tried Moneydance? Is it legit?

No Worries likes this.
  13. No Worries

14. No Worries

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

****. I've been dreading this day.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

So I signed up for Simplifi and Monarch.

Hated Simplifi, liking Monarch a lot so far.

The only problem for me is that Monarch's budgeting is a bit noisy compared to Mint.

Normally I would budget out all of my known/expected recurring expenses every month, and everything else I would put into a big "discretionary spending" bucket.

Monarch wants you to budget every-single-thing out line by line... kinda clunky.

17. No Worries

In my random travels on The Internet, I found this spreadsheet referenced from reddit:

Mint Successors

Some love for Monarch.