1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick! Mitt! Change parties. Become a Democrat, and go for the nomination for President this year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

technically true but Nixon resigned before the vote to remove him. There also haven’t been that many impeachment of a president - 4 by my count. That doesn’t take away the significant of what Romney did. It’s extremely significant because we are at max polarization and he knew his head would be on a pike.

RayRay10 and foh like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And how do Bernie supporters fall out of that definition?

When did Bernie advocate for the elimination of owning private property and removal of a capitalist market?

3. dmoneybangbang

Because Bernie is trying to cram decades of Western European entitlements into an election, which is too far too fast.

Bernie cultists are a bit different than your run of the mill supporters.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I'm late to the discussion, but I actually enjoy what @Os Trigonum posts even though I disagree with quite a bit of it. This is a debate and discussion forum, not a plant my wares in the sand and never move discussion board, and too often, many posters come at things from only one sand and don't dare to move off of it.

It's easy to dismiss what @Os Trigonum posts because of the sources, but he has brought up the point many times that he's trying to initiate discussion. You, in this post here, and others have often asked him to post his feelings about what he's posting, but I want to believe that he doesn't really have feelings on it, or may not have made up his mind yet, and wants to place it here to see what discussion comes from it before trying to decide. Yes, most of what he posts is definitely right-wing, and I get irritated quite a bit by a lot of it, but he's often said that he would like to counterbalance @NewRoxFan who posts mainly left-wing.

But, he may also post the more right-wing things because the more intelligent discussion usually happens from the left-wing posters on here. There's not much point in getting into debates with the Mick Fry's or the other MAGA cult because there is no debate. Those folks have made up their mind and will go to their grave spouting Fox News talking points and propaganda. I mean, you might as well turn on Fox News if you want to debate that...the commentators on TV will respond to you about the same way the MAGA folks do on here. If he were to just post left-leaning things, he'd either be duplicating what @NewRoxFan is doing or similar...and there's really no discussion or debate happening unless you want to engage the MAGA cult if you do that.

I identify as an independent, even though I'm a registered Democrat due to Texas laws determining your party by which primary you vote in, used to be a registered Republican until the fallout from the two wars occurred and I saw first-hand what it did to military folks. Obama was the first Dem president I voted for, did it twice, voted for Hillary too and I've generally gotten to the point that I'm disgusted by the GOP at this point and won't vote for anyone that has an R next to their name. But, I still don't see myself as a Democrat because I don't want to be attached to a party at all...too much like being part of a cult. O's saying he has two twenty year old daughters also means that I'm about in his age range since I have an about to be 21 year old son...maybe it's just a generational thing (Gen X).

Anyway, long story short, I don't really thing @Os Trigonum is trying to be malicious...mischievous, sure, but I honestly think he truly wants to drive debate and discussion in a way that could possible challenge thoughts and positions of people. Often, he isn't successful, but there are times when he gets a good one and the discussion flows from it. In the end, that's why we're all here...to find that one thing we love to talk about and actually talk about it with others that are relatively intelligent.

Os Trigonum, jcf, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I almost agree with this. If he posted different articles from multiple points of view, I could believe that he wanted them to be thought-provoking articles to generate conversation. Or if the articles he posted were of a higher quality and not peddling debunked garbage half the time.

I enjoy some of the discussions that come from the differing opinions of posters who don't support Trump. Debates between @jiggyfly, @Major, @DonnyMost, @JuanValdez and others who disagree about which candidate to support or particular policies of those candidates are frequently enlightening. There are left-leaning posters who disagree on solutions and issues. I agree those are often the discussions I enjoy most.

I just feel if @Os Trigonum was trying to stimulate those types of debates he might post things that had more substance etc.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong for enjoying his posts. It's fine for anyone that enjoys them. I'm just saying why I'm not quite there and explaining my own take.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and mdrowe00 like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The whole reason I haven't dismissed him is because he does have a critically thinking brain unlike many others on the right. My issue with him is his hit and run style where he doesn't really state an argument but just provokes and runs away without making his own views clear.

I don't take issue with his views, I take issue with the lack of articulation of his views and unwillingness to engage in debate.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ya'll do realize Mitt is evil. Like literally American Psycho evil?

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never thanked @RayRay10 for this post . . . but I do thank you.

here it is--read it and weep:

Biden ballot.jpg

RayRay10 likes this.