1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick! Mitt! Change parties. Become a Democrat, and go for the nomination for President this year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

duly noted. don't want to be rude

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sadder Trombone!!

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am also getting too old for personal arguments. Don't you tire of getting a rise out of people?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Saddest Trombone!!!

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

depends on the people :D

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you gonna start discussing anything?

Or just go back to claiming you don't necessarily agree with what you just posted.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have no reason to disbelieve you. But I’m curious what issues do you align more with the Democratic Party than the Republican Party, as a registered Democrat?

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

what would you like to discuss?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I hear you. There are some posters I can't stand on here and I can't help but lob insults at them or even better put them on tilt. But it goes no where. It's just people barking at one another and playing the same game month after month, year after year. At some point, isn't it just madness? If no one changes their mind, no one evolves - it is literally madness.

The wonders of this forum is the ability to debate to exchange ideas and get a fresh perspective. There are only a very few posters on this board that embrace the potential of D&D. I'll tell you this, the one poster who convince me to try to debate genuinely here is @rocketsjudoka

If more people from all sides could do that, this place might not be such a shithole but rather just more like a crappy dive bar.

jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't have a particular topic tonight but we will see how long this will last.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

honestly there's probably a couple of factors here. I've lived in states where you can't register as an Independent, so registering as a Democrat (and leaving that registration stand over time) is more of an artifact of where I used to be than where I possibly am now. Plus if you register now as an Independent in New York state where I live, you can't vote in primary elections--which is pretty stupid, I think, but over the past 25 years or so I've been far more interested in voting in Democratic primaries than any of the Republican ones.

There are aspects of the Republican Party I just don't think I'll ever be able to swallow. On the other hand, the Democratic Party continues to disappoint me more and more with each passing day. I have never strongly "identified" as a Democrat; it is simply here where people have pressed the subject that I've given my party registration. If anything I'm probably evenly split between Republican and Democratic platform issues--what Jason Brennan refers to as "bleeding heart libertarianism" probably describes my outlook as well as anything.

What that means in practical terms: I'm pretty much pro-choice, for example, even though I understand and actually admire the pro-life arguments offered by conservatives. That position is more a reflection that I am married and have two daughters in their twenties, for whom the abortion issue is pretty paramount. I vote the best I can to respect their interests.

I'm pretty much against onerous immigration restrictions. I think people ought to be able to move about freely and within reason emigrate to other countries if that's what they want to do. On the other hand, there are certain practical problems with the United States, in that millions and millions of people want to move here. That simply raises practical problems of administration, and of human health and safety. I don't have good answers on that one. I don't like the xenophobic "build the wall" rhetoric I hear coming from more vocal folks on the right, but I also understand and empathize with the anxieties and fears folks have about allowing essentially unrestricted immigration. Again, I don't have good answers on that one.

there's probably more to say, what else are you interested in? I'm just trying to stay awake tonight in case news of the big trade come in for the Rockets' replacement center. :D not sure how much longer I can hold out though.

#52 Os Trigonum, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Deckard, jcf, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why have you been lying that you were a moderate democrat?

And why post stuff from only right leaning sites or authors?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Maybe now isn't the time to go on the offensive. The second part is a fair question

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

see here's the problem with you sometimes Jigg. What part of ANTHING that I just wrote is a "lie"?

I am a registered Democrat. FACT. I am a moderate- to conservative Democrat. FACT. But I also don't strongly identify as a "Democrat," meaning simply that my political participation in voting and/or in elections as a registered Democrat does NOT contribute significantly to my personal identity of "who I am." I identify as male. I identify as what I do for a living. I identify as a father. I identify as a Rockets fan. Actually, my self-identification as a Rockets fan is FAR more substantial than my self-image as a "Democrat." Perhaps that is difficult for you to understand. I do not know how to explain it any better to satisfy you. You will simply have to take my word for it or persist in calling me a liar.

jcf, RayRay10 and durvasa like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

F that.

If he wants to play nice he needs to explain himself.

He has done this passive aggressive stuff before, I am not buying it.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

At some point, you have just move past things and let go. To be truly open minded, you have to give people a chance.

Deckard likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I posted what was a lie.

You have claimed over and over again how you were a moderate democrat and now you say you have never really identified as a democrat.

So what is it?

What you are saying makes no sense.

I will call it like I see it.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I'm more interested in understanding your right leaning positions. Because you post a lot from far right leaning sources and your views stated don't seem to align with those sources. Is that just being a contrarian or do you actually agree with the posts you are making?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have given him many chances and he pretty much laughed at everybody who tried to engage him.

I want him to explain himself before I believe him.

Fool me once.