1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions and Answers!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Not everyone in China is a basketball fan! :rolleyes:

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Geeze i found some of the best posts i have ever read in this thread. The one by Doc is classic. Thanks guys.

3. JAG

JAG Member

BINGO! Ralph was the sure thing...Dream was considered a bit of a gamble...Contrary to revisionist history, Hakeem was thought to be an exceptional athlete, with great size, but there were very big questions...

A) His skill level...Yep, you read right. Look back at scouting reports at the time..He was thought very raw, new to the game, and people questioned whether he'd ever have an offensive game beyond put backs and dunks.

B) Ability to win...Phi Slamma Jamma's notorious losses to "lesser" teams raised questions of Hakeem's ability to win the big ones, a la Webber, and there were some vaguely jingoistic references to his not coming from a "competitive" atmosphere like good ol' American boys...

C) Durability...Being as new to the game as he was, it was much noted that his long term durability was in question, especially given that it was assumed that he would be reduced to a banger type of game.

And there were others...most revolved, openly or otherwise, around the fact that he wasn't a 'real basketball player' ( read: American), but was more of a great athlete. The best player of his draft year, yes, but not the gimme that Sampson and Ewing were...Sampson, on the other hand, was as sure a thing as you get. The next Jabbar, but bigger, etc...goes to show...

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

???

5. RocketsPimp

Ron Artest?? I'd like to see him put up those same numbers in the west. I feel a Scottie Pippen comparison coming on.

Seriously, Ron Artest? Tell me more.

6. RocketsPimp

Well, by that logic, the public then knows that there were 2 preceeding positive tests that weren't made public, so what's the point other than the general public doesn't know the innards of the CBA??

If that's the case, I am very upset with Mo' and really hope the Rockets make a serious effort to move him. Also, Odom can keep his ass in LA for all I care. If a guy can't keep himself clean enough to make millions playing a fuggin sport they have no place on my favorite basketball team.

Hear me Les, a Rockets fan has spoken!!!!!!

7. DaneB

DaneB Member

Would it be possible to sign Rashard for maybe $7 million or so by letting Kenny Thomas and Walt Williams for nothing. Trade the cap space along with the #15? Is that possible? I can see Rashard taking around $7 million per year, even though that would be more than Cuttino. Would it be possible to do this and then to give Francis the max? Just a thought.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Brilliant! :)

9. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

This is the best stuff with fire I read here.

Thanks, Doc.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Ron Artest?? I'd like to see him put up those same numbers in the west. I feel a Scottie Pippen comparison coming on.

Seriously, Ron Artest? Tell me more.</i>

It's pretty simple, it's called defense and toughness. Artest is a great defender. That is something that we are sorely lacking. With Francis, Mobley, Griffen and Ming, we should have enough offense. But, if we don't become a good defensive team, we'll never make a run at a title. Championship teams need guys to do the dirty work. Look back at the last few Champions, the Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, Rockets and Pistons. With the exception of the '95 Rockets, all of those teams were great defensive teams.

11. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Is Ming used to 12 Chinese guys using all their fouls to stop him from scoring? yes
    Will he be used to it here? no, there's not enough chinese guys here

I hope they make the Ming jerseys with arm holes at rib level so that I can make my arms look short, too :D

Concerning Artest, Anyone who can break MJ's ribs is fine by me.

12. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Note on Odom: Odom is extra baggage for the Clippers right now. Whatever they get for him is Lagnappe because he was not much of a contributor last year anyway (appeared in only 29 games). A deal including this year's 15, thomas and another player or another pick somewhere might be doable. But, the Clips might get a little more help from another team. I do not think it is impossible, but cards would have to fall. As far as his stats...career 17pts, 7 rebs, 4.5 assists is very nice. Last year he was injured and had those "other issues". Bottomline, if we can get out of it not giving up this year's number, maybe a switch in spots, it would be a nice deal for the rox.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Seattle still wants Mo Taylor (big if; "BIG" in Mo's case), AND would take Mo + #15 for Rashard, then maybe, just maybe...

Because I think NY may still want to trade for Vin Baker. That way, Seattle would still only have one shiftless oaf on its team.

OR, if we actually manage to strangle something out of the Bulls (#15 and the Drew obligation for Crawford, as a present for not taking Jay Williams #1), then I could see Seattle having mucho interest in grooming hometown boy Crawford as Payton's eventual successor. Maybe a 3-way there.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

The NBA is big in China. Besides, we don't need everyone over there to buy one, you silly goose! 5% of the population would be sufficient.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aelliott-I agree 100%, that if we were to get Ming, we'd be better off with Artest than with Odom-for the simple matter that he brings toughness that we'd lack in other areas. I wouldn't want Lewis if we got Ming, Lewis is fairly soft in his own right. That's another discussion. I do agree, the type of SF (or center) we get will depend on the center (or SF).

heypee-It's more semantics, positive result/missed test. I thought Mo said that it was his first time doing it when he got suspended, implying he missed 2 tests?

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NIKE -
    It gets down to how one defines the difference between "good" and "great". If Odom gets his head on straight and if he adds on to the 17-7-6 then he (in your words) "probably becomes a perennial all-star".

The reason I maintain "good" is that your 17-7-6 numbers were the season in between Taylors departure and Brands arrival. Look at Odoms #'s this year. Yes, he was injured but 29 games is enough to establish a precedence. He's a 13-6 with another player (Brand) to share the ball with.

"Great" and "All Star" are reserved for SF's like Garnett and Nowitski. IMHO, Odom as an overall player is closer to Artest's 12 / 4 than he is to KG & Dirk. That's still "good" in my book. ;)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Say it with me people.

MING

DaDakota

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Say Kayman, what's wrong with Butler having 2 kids? So many people talk about basketball players being punks(even though there are few who fall under that catagory), and then it seems like you think that there is something wrong with Butler for being focused and determined to be a good player so that he can support his children.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Dakota, let me say it. Ming Ming Ming. Be happy, don't worry we will get Ming if we want him.

If you think it is tough negotiating for Ming, try winning a championship without a legitimate big man.

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

...er...and without a 30 year-old Michael.