1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purpura's comments regarding Kent last night. Anyone Catch it?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rileydog, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Last night, purpura spoke about the hiring of garner and direction of the team generally. I caught the back end of a comment that sounded like he had talked to Kent's people and was optimistic that they could bring Kent back.

Can anyone confirm?

edit:

i found this from Astros Daily. Sounds like we're going to have kent back.

Purpura, along with Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. and team president Tal Smith, met with Kent and the player's agent, Jeff Klein, on Tuesday at Minute Maid Park. Kent became a free agent last week when the Astros declined to pick up his $9 million contract option for 2005. The Astros are interested in re-signing Kent for a lesser amount.

"I think it's very significant," Purpura said of Tuesday's meeting. "This is something that was set up with Gerry [Hunsicker, the former general manager] before he left. Certainly we wanted to accomodate Jeff and his agent. He made the drive all the way from Austin to sit down and meet with us. That's quite an effort on his behalf and it shows his sincerity of wanting to let us know how he felt about the organization and coming back."

No offer was made, but the two sides could get together again next week.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

further indication on astros daily that we're going to get Kent back:

Upon being named the Astros' GM on Monday, Tim Purpura said filling the managerial position was "Job 1." Now that Phil Garner is on board, what's next?
    "Job 2 is probably continuing to work with Jeff Kent," Purpura said. "Job 3 is to sit down with Scott Boras next week at the general manager's meetings, and to start conversations with Carlos Beltran."

Kent, who became a free agent when the Astros declined to pick up his $9 million club option, is looking into signing with the Astros for a lower price. The Astros are extremely interested in retaining the second baseman's services.

"We had a meeting yesterday and I owe them a call at some point," Purpura said of Kent and his agent, Jeff Klein. "I certainly want it to be sooner than later and what we all agree on is, we want to try to move forward in the next week or so to try to see where we are financially."

The Astros will begin their annual organizational meetings in Houston on Thursday. On Sunday, Purpura will head to the general managers' meetings in Florida, where he hopes to meet with Boras, Beltran's agent. The Astros, who are still within the window of time where they have exclusive negotiating rights with the center fielder, have made it clear they are very serious about their desire to sign Beltran to a long-term contract.

That sentiment was endorsed in full by the new skipper.

"I spoke with Carlos the last night in St. Louis (after the NLCS) and told him exactly how I felt," Garner said. "I said, 'I don't know what's going to happen with me, but as fan in Houston, I hope you come back. It's fun to watch you play.'" -- Alyson Footer

3. kevwun

kevwun Member

Burke played ss in college, so maybe 3rd could be an option for him if Kent comes back.

4. Buck Turgidson

Burke barely has enough arm to play 2B.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Awesome idea. I also think that Ausmus should play center, while Backe takes over the catching duties.

We already have enough people playing out of position.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I was think about putting Chavez in left.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Uh, no. He needs rest between starts...we can't have our #4 starting pitcher playing left. :rolleyes: :D

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

driving ALL the way from austin to try and get people to pay you millions is a big effort?

:) gotta love pro athletes

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What about going after Steve Finley if Beltran does not resign. He's old but he can hit 25 homers and play a top notch centerfield for the Stros.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Why has no one gone to PR to visit?:mad:

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Well b/c they have to be invited first by Beltran and his agent first. That is way the game is played.

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Tell that to my friends. They show up whenever they want!:D

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

This afternoon David Dallotti said that Kent was going to be offered a Biggio like contract. Meaning 3 million in base salary; and 1.5 in incentives. There was a possibilty of him also having an option year. Should be interesting to see if he takes it. Not a bad amount of change considering the Astros already owe him 5 million this year.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

3 mil.. he did have over 100 rbis..

that might be ok if the incentives are easy to reach.. seems a little low though

15. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

3 Mil seems alot low for a slugging 2nd baseman. It's a slap in the face for Kent. He won't be here next season.

16. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I disagree; the incentives. He'll reach his incentives quite easily, meaning he'll get 4.5 million next year. And you can't forget, the Astros already owe him 5.5 million in deferred money. So; he would still be getting a nice chunk of change.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Kent wants to be an Astro. If he plays baseball next season, it will be with the Astros.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If he does sign, I think the Astros should have a McGrady-like press conference so that fans can show their appreciation.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For some reason, I re-watched game 5 this morning on Tivo... I guess I still haven't gotten over it all.

But, if they can keep Kent at that price, it would be a very good situation for this team next year... even if they aren't able to re-sign Beltran.

Remember, this is a team which they were prepared to go to the World Series with before they ever even got Beltran. Of course, getting Carlos, and putting Lidge as closer, somewhat evened out the loss of Miller and Pettite... but with those two back, its essentially the same team that we were so excited about at the beggining of last year, and the one which tore thru April... and they've now got a top-notch closer, and a decent/reliable 5th starter in Backe. (all this assuming Clemens will decide to return... and I think he will, although we shouldn't expect him to make every start next year like he did this year... expect more rest for him, esp. if the other parts of our rotation are healthy).

Also, as someone said earlier, Kent is being paid 5 million by the Astros this year no matter what (deffered payments), so he definitely won't "feel" poor if he's only getting a 4-5 million dollar contract.

20. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

JP.. you can't count his deferred money.. he has already earned that money.. he's not dumb enough to think .. oh ill add that to the 4.5 mil and make my usual salary..

if drayton or the astros tried to act as if they are already paying him several mil this year. when he already earned that money. then they are truly cheapskates.

He has earned that money and it should have nothing to do with how much he makes this year