1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purpura on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Real Shady, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"- The astros are looking to be buyers not sellers. When you are losing games by one or two runs one more batter can make a huge difference."

Hmm, so he thinks they can salvage the season? They better turn things around, quick.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I just hope he isn't shopping in the same aisle where he found Burba, Wendell and Franco. This is where we are gonna miss Hun I'm afraid.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Get it Dunn Purpura!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You in town this weekend? If so, you should join us tomorrow night watching the Astros and CWS.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we'll see how much Purpura was involved in the minor league scouting. That was supposedly his area, and I certainly wouldn't mind to see a few more Backe for Blums. (And how soon we forget Hunsicker's forrays with Dwight Gooden, Brian Moehler, Doug Brocail, etc.)

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

[QUOTEThere's been no indication anywhere that they're shopping Crawford. Maybe in a couple of years when the larger salaries kick in, but why do it now, unless you overcharge (which is the only way Omar Minaya got V.Zambrano - he gave up the #1 LHP prospect in all of baseball to get an above average #2/3 starter). Chuck LaMarr is a noted hardcase when dealing. Plus, Crawford's about the exciting thing they've got. That franchise (and Colorado) should have never been created.

Johnny Gomes or Joey Gathright would be more realistic, I'd think.[/QUOTE]

I thought CC's contract kicked in this season??? Therefore, considering their situation, financial/managerial/ownership, I assume anything can eventuate there at this time.

7. Buck Turgidson

I'm obviously struggling to type coherently here. I was talking about '07 & beyond, as his new contract is very, very cheap in the near-term.

$500,000 signing bonus, $500,000 this year in 2005, $2.5 million in 2006, $4 million in 2007 and $5.25 million in 2008.

Tampa Bay has an $8.25 million option for 2009 with a $2.5 million buyout. If the Devil Rays exercise that option, the team gets a $10 million option for 2010 with a $1.25 million buyout.

In addition, the contract includes escalators that could boost Crawford's salary to $11.5 million in the final year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2027803

You typically offer deals like this (early multi-year contracts, essentially buying out club-control & arbitration years, ala the Astros & Berkman's former contract) to players you don't plan on keeping for at least a few seasons. I'd be shocked if they traded him anytime soon, unless blown away by the deal, ala Kazmir/Zambrano. I'd imagine Purp's looked into it, I'd imagine he's thought about & looked into just about every single possible way to help this club. We'll see what they do, it ain't easy, unless you want to gut the pitching staff and/or minor leagues.

8. Buck Turgidson

Farkin-A...

"You typically don't offer contracts like this..."

I give up.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK. I had understood his deal was millions this year, and beyond.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It may not be salvaging this season he's looking to - consider the point about being arbitration eligible above - it makes you wonder if in fact, he's setting up to have a second half like we had in 2000. Throw the rookies all the way into the fire, and hopefully play above .500 ball and contend for the division next year.

Re: Dunn - he's nice, but wouldn't be about the last person on the Reds roster they'd want to trade?

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros next 16 games:
    @ KC (3)
    Col (3)
    Tex (3)
    @Col (3)
    @Cin (4)

It's now or never!! We could really use a 13-3 or 12-4 run.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Dunn would be the perfect aquisition for us. He provides us with the power we desperately need and he's a hell of a nice guy as well.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Acquiring Dunn WOULD fit in with Drayton's plan to get hometown discoounts at every position.
    Seriously though,if it's reasonable,we need to pull the trigger on a deal for Adam.Bring him home.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Nah...I leave this morning but I appreciate the invite. Where do u guys typically watch the games? Live? I'll have to take a rain check.

Did you get the package yet? I hope so cuz I sent it a week ago.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I haven't checked my mail in a couple of days...I will today though.

Stack probably hates us now because we haven't been to Live in a while. Not sure where we're watching them today, probably somewhere on the west side because it's going to be about game time when we get done playing golf.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Dunn, but the SO's would drive me nuts...We need another bat, period, it just depends on what type of deal we do...Its a pitcher for a bat, just depends on which one...

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Buchholz for Dunn!!!!

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Purpura was on 740am today, and pretty much talked about the same stuff. They talked about Taveras for a long time...I stopped listening when a caller called in and bored me, that was the worst call in ever.