1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pupura has gotten off to a terrible start

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by G.O.A.T., Jan 8, 2005.

1. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

Was it just me or did Timmy P come off like an incompitant rookie GM that is in over his head. We ran out of time, we just ran out of time, well we just ran out of time. So did the dog eat his homework too. How the heck do you run out of time. Yeah he had an early deadline, but he has known about it for quite a while. I would have felt a lot better if he said they wanted more money than we could offer. This could be a sign of very bad things to come.:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Purpura doesn't seem to have done that good a job, but you have to remember Hunsicker basically bailed on us.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

It was Boras' game. They "ran out of time" because Boras refused to negotiate.

4. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He better done some good things this off season or he will be know for awhile as Boras' little b****.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Hun didn't bail. He couldn't take working for Drayton.

Purpura wasn't the problem with the Beltran situation because Drayton handled it.

Thats mainly the reason hated working for Drayton. He is the Jerry Jones of the MLB.

6. grekel

grekel New Member

I really don't think that much blame can be directed towards Purpura on this. This was more Drayton's deal and he did seem to try damn hard here. The problem is that the deck was loaded from the start. The Astros had no control of the situation except for the ability to keep raising Beltran's value. I don't think there was ever much intent on signing with the Astros. They were just used, as we all continue to allow ourselves to be, by another supposedly honest athlete and his agent. Sure Beltran never promised to come back but he did say that money wasn't the most important thing. If that is truly the case then why hire a foul turd like Boras as your agent. This whole process has enabled an entire franchise to be held in limbo for months and will now probably set it back a good 4 or 5 years minimum. Beltran took us to the brink of greatness but has now shunned all those that put him on such a high pedestal and treated him like a king. All for the mighty dollar once again. I hope he enjoys the real NY when he goes into his first slump.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

This had nothing to do with Pupura or the Astros, it had everything to do with Beltrash and Bore Us. If you think we didn't do everything humanly possible to sign him, you obviously just started following this story today and you're just being reactionary.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I think McLande over ruling his decision to bring back Biggio instead of Kent was the last straw w/ Hunsicker. I really don't blame hime. I agree the timing was off. His last assignment should have been to resign the greety b*stard Beltran.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

if yall think losing beltran was bad....

losing wade miller for how cheaply we let him go is gonna be a horrible move too. beltran was never a sure thing and i don't think there is anything the astros could have done to keep him outside of giving him a-rod money. but losing wade miller for the money we were going to pay him was just flat out stupid. if we still had miller this team would still have a solid chance even without beltran. but now we are just screwed.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Miller would have been paid a minimum of 4 million I believe due to arbitration.

Red Sox lucked out cause they don't call under those rules since he's not a returning player being signed.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

How can you fault Purpura when Drayton McLane's penny-pinching miserly ways are handcuffing him? Seriously.

**** YOU DRAYTON. SELL THE TEAM.

12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

This is not McLane's fault if he offered 7/105 which honestly is more than Beltran should get....it hurts like hell tongiht, but in 3 months,, I'lll be able to rationally say that 7/105 is too much and glad we los tout...

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It was you.

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Hey as long as he re-ups Backe he's the man.

Now if Backe is not a houston astro next year he is a pudgy sonabitch

15. mikeod79

mikeod79 Member

Beltran, no matter where he signs is being over paid, until he has a season like what A-rod / B. forheadmuscle ( Bonds ) / S. Sosa have ever had he should be making far less than the 7/105 the stros threw at him. I dont blame the Astros one bit for not offering more. A five tool player is very rare, he is a great out fielder, an even better base runner, a good if not decent avg. hitter and a good HR hitter. The worst part about this whole ordeal is him not telling the stros from the getgo that he is all about $.

Now the Astros are stuck with an overaged J. Bagwell as their #3 hitter with nothing else to get on base ahead him....IF he gets on base.

Here's to hoping we finish ahead of the Pirates and Brewers this year.

And to heck with Beltran.....

16. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

lol trader jorge with his usual sage advice.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if we go back to looking into Soriano. With the Rangers needing to trim some payroll if they want Delgado, and us having a little wiggle room, it could make some sense. Soriano's not Beltran, but he's a young 30/30 guy, maybe 40/40 even; those don't grow on trees.

18. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Great Idea! I think he'd be a monster with the short porch in right field.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

So folks like you would rather have a dumbass owner like Tom Hicks who'll pay more for ONE player that he did for the entire franchise only to end up looking like a grade A fool when he has to pay $67 MILLION to the Yankees to take said player off his hands? And on what planet is 7 years $105 MILLION considered penny-pinching?

McLane's offer to this guy was a great offer. It was Boras who I feel never really wanted Beltran in Houston but needed the Astros in the hunt to bid up Beltran's price. Mark my words, they will come to rue the day they went to the Mets who only wanted Beltran for PR against the evil Yankees. All Astros fans need to salute Drayton for making the effort because it shows that he is truly committed to doing what it takes to win which BTW is more than can be said for Les Alexander and his bottom feeding Houston Rockets.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Don't we still need a starting pitcher? .....and some freakin RBIs!

Soriano time.....delgado? Man.....we got royally screwed.