1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Puma wins NL Player of the Month for May

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by yaoistall, Jun 2, 2008.

1. yaoistall

yaoistall Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/5814483.html

I'm not sure I could hit .473 in a Tee ball league. I encourage everyone to vote Puma for the All-Star team. It took a month of putting up video game numbers for the man to get a marginal lead over everyone's favorite Cardinal. It would take something completely goofy for him not to make the team as a back-up, but that's the equivalent of one AB in the ninth inning of a blow out. Up to this point, the man is more than deserving of a starting nod.

2. yaoistall

yaoistall Member

3. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Watching Baseball Tonight the other night...three analysts had to pick who the best hitter in the Bigs was. They all picked 3 different guys. Not one of them picked Lance Berkman. Jokers.

5. Major

Major Member

Who did they pick?

6. MadMax

pujols
    hamilton
    utley

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

^ That's ghey...another reason those guys are douches...

Congrats to Puma...Not as flashy since we're on a losing streak, but still a great accomplishment...

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Hamilton takes big hacks has no plate discipline.. Pujols is good and so is Utley...

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well... given they're all putting up similiar numbers and they're 3 (utley), 4 (pujols) and 5 (hamilton) years younger than berkman (plus utley and hamilton play far more difficult positions), it's not THAT outrageous.

i know for a fact i'd deal berkman for either pujols or utley straight up. i'd like to see if hamilton can avoid the smack before dealing for him. but, man, in the interim - he is crushing major leather this year.

10. MadMax

i hear ya. i don't think it was based on long-term issues. it was, "who has been the best hitter so far?" i think it's pretty crazy to not have berkman in the top 3.

11. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-mayreview060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Check out that above link. Their NL MVP for May is as follows:

1. Dan Uggla, Marlins,
    .347, 12 HRs, 26 RBIs
    2. Carlos Lee, Astros,
    .275, 6 HRs, 30 RBIs
    3. Lance Berkman, Astros,
    .471, 9 HRs, 22 RBIs

Great to see 2 Astros in there but pleease, Carlos above Big Puma? And Uggla above the pair of them?

12. Hey Now!

OPS+:
    pujols - 195
    utley - 172
    hamilton - 170

berkman? 215! fraking unreal. yes, he should be among the top... well, 1, really. f espn.

13. MaxwellsTemper

Its good to see Berkman getting his due. Playing in Houston, sometimes our players don't get their proper recognition they deserve.

14. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Pujols is a much more consistent hitter than Berkman but Utley and Hamilton? **** THAT. Pujols is the only one in the NL I'd take over Berkman in the long run and that's if he has ZERO problems with his arm/shoulder or whatever is wrong with him. At this point in time I wouldn't trade Berkman for anyone.

15. Hey Now!

you wouldn't trade berkman for utley straight up? all personal feelings aside -just from a baseball perspective? guys of berkman's ilk are a lot more common than guys like utley, and that's by no means a knock against puma.

and hamilton has A LOT of baggage, obviously, so i doubt i'd deal anyone for him, frankly. plus, he's in uncharted territory, in terms of his production right now, so who knows how legit this is.

but, again, from a pure baseball perspective... i mean, you're talking about a triple crown threat in the absolute sweet spot of his prime... regardless of your ultimate opinion, i think the idea deserves more than a "**** THAT"