1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS2 vs Gamecube vs XBox

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsfan34, Nov 6, 2001.

Tags:
?

PS2 vs Gamecube vs XBox

1. PS2

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Gamecube

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. XBox

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I need help picking one out.

Which one do you suggest I get for xmas? Where can I read up some good critiques on pros and cons of the different system and games...IGN, gamespot?

Which console would u buy NOW and why?

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

See my poll....it may help:

poll

I'm going with the xbox....9 days and counting. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Most appear to want a GameCube. Oh...and I read an article about how MS will secure rights to GameCube games...like the Mario stuff and all. Don't know if it will pan out or not. I like xbox for the better graphics and higher polygon counts. The games will come. I also like the broadband, DD5.1, and HDTV support among other things.

The PS2, on the other hand, is established with alot of games.

Surf

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Finding an Xbox before Christmas is going to be hard. Pre-orders have sold out the system for weeks. And pre-orders are the bundles which add at least $200 onto the price. If I can get my hands on a bundle less system, I would buy it.

---

The Specs
    CPU:

Intel Pentium III 733MHz processor with Streaming SIMD

Extensions
    Graphics Processing Unit:
    300MHz custom 3D graphics processor by nVidia
    300 million micropolygons/particles per second
    150 million transformed and lit polygons per second
    100+ million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing)
    4 simultaneous textures
    Compressed textures available at 8:1 compression
    Full-scene anti-aliasing

Memory:
    64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
    6.4GB/sec memory bandwidth

Storage:
    8GB hard drive
    4X DVD drive with movie playback
    8MB memory card

Sound:
    Custom 3-D audio processor
    64 Audio channels
    3-D Audio support
    Midi/DLS2 support
    AC3 encoded game audio

Network:
    100 MBPS Ethernet Port
    Optional Modem

Input/Output:
    4 game USB controller ports
    Expansion port
    Proprietary A/V connector

Video:
    DVD movie playback
    1920x1080 maximum resolution
    HDTV support

from www.planetxbox.com

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Gamecube better be supporting HDTV! I am going with the Gamecube of course. I cant get enough of Mario and Zelda for some reason. :cool:

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

I also need help with this.

XBox is 2 times more powerfull than the other 2.

But PS2 has my fav. video game of all time, NCAA Football 2002.

I really want to know if NCAA football will come out for XBox, or atleast the 2003 version.

6. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

From what I have read, it wont support HDTV. Check out nintendogamecube.com.

Im still getting the gamecube. Ive loved nintendo since the original Zelda and Mike Tyson's punchout.:D

7. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Trust me get ps2

they now have the DreamCast sports games(Sega Sports) and if u played them, theyre awsome especially Football+B-ball

and Metal Gear Solid 2 LOOKS AWSOME

8. Smokey

Sega Sports is coming to Xbox. Look for NBA 2k2 for Xbox in December.

I also love college football games, and I am 95% sure NCAA Football 2003 will be on Xbox next fall. There is no reason to think otherwise. EA Sports is releasing Madden 2002 on the 15th for Xbox and NBA Live 2002 in December.

If you love Mario and Zelda games then I would go for the Gamecube. Gamecube is gonna have great multiplayer games as well.

Im a sports junkie and looking at the the numbers plus don't forget Xbox is a DVD player, I'm going with Xbox.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

PS2 would be my choice.I'm betting when the x-box comes out the price will drop on the ps.

I know a guy who lives in Seattle and goes to microshaft to do testing a couple of times a month..here is what he said :

10. DAROckets

Why buy that when the computer I currently have is superior ? eventually most of the games released for the x-box should also be available for the pc.

HALO is the game I'm interested in,and so far it's only going to be released for the x-box..hopefully it will be released for the pc also.

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm a Nintendo man all the way. From NES to SNES to N64 and now on to Gamecube. I had a brief affair with TurboGrafx (and 3DO when a roommate bought a used one in college), but I eventually went back to Big N. I'm impatiently waiting for Gamecube. I think it'll kick X-Box's ass.

Anyone remember the television show Captain N: The Game Master?

[​IMG]

12. Surfguy

Your friend's comments are pretty opinionated with little fact to back them up. I buy into the fact that not all games, especially ports, are going to be the best games on the xbox. The games, like Halo, DOA3, and NFL Fever, are games written specifically to take advantage of xbox's superior graphics. Honestly, everyone is going to have their own opinion and it's hard to accept the word of someone who has 99.9% exposure to PS2 and .01% exposure to XBox(a test xbox on pre-release, possibly ported games at that). These comments seem pretty biased to me:

"granted i am just one man and my opinion is not here nor there, i just dont want to see people go rush out to buy it when in my opinion the ps2 is the only console i would buy."

Hahah....my opinion is I don't want to see people go rush out to buy a xbox because ps2 is the only console I would buy. That makes a whole lot of sense there....umm.....yeah. Your friend's credibility just lept out the window with that comment. He's a slave to the PS2; probably hardly gave xbox a chance without raising his nose in sick disgust. I'm going home to my PS2...the one I bought and love which had no competition before. What's going to happen now? lol.

I wonder why everyone else loves the games they have played at the xbox seminars on the final version of the platform. A lot of rave reviews going around...no problems with the controller, no knocks on the game graphics, comments about how much better the graphics are than PS2s, etc. . I'm sure that is all just a bunch of malarky posted by pre-pubescent boys. Granted, some of them may be biased as well.

There is definitely a console war being waged...mainly by the fanboys all around the internet. Buy what you want. I feel good about my purchase now and its prospects in the future. You should feel good about your PS2 or GameCube purchase as well.

I'm buying the xbox based on the hardware, its capabilities, its future prospects for games, its unmatched HDTV support, and its DVD player. I'm not buying it because of a lousy couple of ports which are released on Nov. 15th or because the controller won't fit in the hand of a teeny bopper. The xbox controller won't be the only one available, anyways. In fact, I ordered another second one from a competitor. I have read good things about the controller as well...certainly nobody complaining of being tired after one hour. Those sentiments weren't coming from the xbox seminar from competitors playing all day long.

Do what you will. More power to you.

Surf

13. DAROckets

Whatever surfguy ... He says it's just one guys opinion..just cause you don't agree doesn't mean you have to bash his credibility :rolleyes:

14. Surfguy

Well, I don't like people implying what I should or shouldn't be doing because of his opinions....which is basically what he said. I would hardly say I bashed his credibility. I basically meant that I didn't find his statements to be credible and based on any factual, sound reasoning. Therefore, his opinion lacks credibility. I didn't mean to imply he had no credibility whatsoever on any topics. If that upsets you, then I think you are reading too much into it.

15. DAROckets

lo.. I'm not upset.The guy tested it and is just stating his opinion and even admits "i am just one man and my opinion is not here nor there " So why does that upset you ? Your just being silly.Nowhere does the guy say not to buy it.Maybe your the one reading too much into it. :p

16. Smokey

The Xbox graphics processor is two generations ahead of its PC counterpart. For your friend to say it looks like **** is funny. He sounds like another Microsoft hater. So when is PS3 coming out? Sony is already crapping in their pants.

It comes down to Gamecube and Xbox. Look at the options and games and make your choice. You won't go wrong with either system.

Also, look for games dedicated to the Xbox only. Microsoft whether for good or bad knows the "its only a PC" people so its gonna screw em MS style.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm going ot be going with theGamecube (although if the Xbox reviews turn out to be great, I might pick one of them up as well when any frenzy dies down).

First, I think Nintendo does much better on multiplayer games. I can't wait for a new Mario Kart, and Perfect Dark Zero. Plus, I like Nintendo's style even on the single player games ala Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime looks outstanding, and Luigi's Mansion looks like it will definitely be worth the money. Nintendo also always seems to make good controllers that facilitate easy and successful gameplay. I already have a really good progressive scan DVD player, and, finally, the gamecube graphics seems just as good as the Xbox's. Check out this lin for the Tarzan game - I know it sounds childish, but the game actually looks like it could be great fun to play (ala those Mrio Golf and Mario Tnnis ones)

Link to Tarzan Preview, Stills, and Quicktime Movie

18. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Heh...now that sounds like a bunch of BS :) What's the source of this article?

Anyway, I'll be getting GameCube at launch (or very shortly thereafter...like before the end of the year....there will be plenty of units available so I'm not too concerned about finding one).

I'll be picking up a PS2 next year, most likely once its price drops to $199 (the price drop may happen as early as this November, but if not then it'll surely happen sometime next year). Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry (maybe), Final Fantasy X and Silent Hill 2 will be among the games that I get for it.

I won't be getting Xbox at launch, and I don't know if I'll get it at all. Halo sounds intriguing, and NFL Fever looks nice, but that's not enough.

rocketsfan34, I would go into a lot of detail about the pros and cons of each system, but I'm too tired to do that now...maybe tomorrow. But I will give my brief comments:

PS2: If you're looking for a system that has a nice-sized current game lineup, including so-called "big-name titles" (e.g. Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, etc.), lots of 3rd party support, backwards compatibility, DVD-playback capability, etc. then I recommend a PS2. If the rumors of a PS2 price drop to $199 within the next few weeks are true then I really recommend a PS2.

GameCube: If you like Nintendo games, then I recommend a GameCube. Also, if you're a big fan the Resident Evil series then I also recommend a GameCube because the series is currently exclusive to the GameCube, including an incredible-looking remake of Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil Zero (new game), and Resident Evil 4 (new game).

Xbox: You will be able to record your own music to the Xbox hard drive (i.e. a store-bought CD that you own, but I'm not sure if you can record MP3s to the HDD; I'll try to find that out), and play those tracks while playing Xbox games. I have to admit that this sounds pretty damn neat. If that sounds good to you then I recommend an Xbox. The Xbox will have broadband connectivity right out of the box, but Microsoft won't launch its online Xbox network until the 2nd half of next year I believe. The system's "killer app" at launch is Halo. Plus it will have strong 3rd party support (better than GameCube, but not as good as PS2). The Xbox is the most powerful system (although GameCube is close behind)....BUT, as with any other system, if a crappy developer makes an Xbox game then it very well could look like crap. The good news though is that the Xbox architecture is similar to the PC architecture, so developers familiar with developing games on the PC architecture will probably do a good job of tapping into the power of Xbox. Another interesting thing about Xbox is that its development environment is "open-source". This means that just about anyone could make an Xbox game, provided that their idea of an Xbox game is a good one. This could potentially lead to a lot of innovative content for the system.

Some magazine publications such as the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly have already reviewed many of the GameCube and Xbox launch titles. The reviews for the games were generally pretty positive.

If your favorite genre is sports, then you can't really go wrong with ANY of the systems, because they'll all have strong sports lineups. Madden and other EA games will appear on all three consoles, Sega Sports will hit all three consoles also.

Xbox and GameCube kiosks are up and running at many videogame stores and retail chains, including Toys 'R Us. The Xbox kiosks either have Munch's Oddysee, Halo or (I think) NFL Fever running; the GameCube kiosks have Rogue Leader, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion up and running. I suggest that you try out the games on those kiosks. You'll get hands-on experience with these games and the game controllers. I haven't tried out an Xbox kiosk yet myself, but I have heard a LOT of negative feedback concerning the Xbox controller (i.e. it's too bulky, the buttons are too close together, the black & white buttons are poorly placed, etc.).

19. Surfguy

I said I read the article. I didn't know what to think of it at the time as it was a very short article supposedly on the subject. However, what is was...was someone doctored a CNET news article to make the claims and tried to pass it off as legitimate. It has since been removed. Just so you know I wasn't making it all up....here is the link to the TeamXBox Forum thread .

And, again, I don't care which console any of you buy. Do what makes you happy? What is really pathetic, however, is the amount of fanboy postings and sites all around the web discounting MS in every conceivable way without any proof whatsoever....just a bunch of anti-MS hype and opinions. The facts are most people don't want XBox to succeed because it is Microsoft. Maybe they feel threated about their own consoles. I don't know and I don't care. If Xbox flops, then so be it. I don't think it will as I think all the consoles will do just fine. There is just too much demand and blood thirsty gamers out there for any of these platforms to fail unless there are just glaring weaknesses which come out leading to an untimely demise. MS will not break even for a while...that is for sure.

And, Daro, I knew you weren't upset. I'm not upset, either. I find it all pretty hysterical, actually.

Buy what you want and be happy for crying out loud. I hope all of the platforms succeed. In fact, many people are going to have more than one console when it's all said and done. Per the games, each console will have exclusive rights to some games and the other consoles won't get those titles. Other games will be on all the consoles. In the end, they are all just games for entertainment purposes. I'm not one to cry if I don't get Mario on XBox or whatever :( :D .

Surf

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

Thats cool Smokey. But Why wasnt 2002 included in the lineup???