1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prospects sent to Tigers for Verlander are not very good

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jayfree, Jul 14, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So we are to believe Astros turned down Sale for Bregman, but were all over Fulmer?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure you can believe any of this... but if somebody within the Detroit front office wants to force a change, leaking these sorts of rumors would likely accomplish that.

Not sure why other front offices would be compelled to release that information.

In the end, its safe to say Bregman was involved in trade discussions... including being traded for Sale... but it just didn't work out for a number of reasons. Moncanda was actually thought of as a 'better' prospect than Bregman at the time, at a position of need for Chicago, so there's simply the chance that the White Sox favored that deal (along with Sale, who knew he'd get extended immediately, vs. being a possible rental).

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is safe to say CWS wanted Bregman if they were to trade with Astros. Moncada was a higher rated prospect 6 months prior to trade, but that was before Bregman had established himself as an MLB player and ceased being a prospect. It is possible that CWS liked Moncada more than Bregman (which would not have been wise).

Considering package Red Sox offered, I think it is safe to say Astros never offered anything close to that. Luhnow said something the other day to the effect no prospect is ever truly untouchable, but that they weren't going to offer Tucker as it anchors all future trade offers with a team to include Tucker. I doubt CWS ever proposed an offer with Bregman that would have been close enough to get a counter offer with Bregman.

I could be very wrong on Sale-Bregman. I'd guess odds of Astros offer Bregman for Fulmer are much lower.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think we’d be shocked at some of the trade proposals that have been made. My guess is that Correa was the only prospect in the Luhnow era who was never offered in a trade of any kind.

Obviously Luhnow valued Bregman highly, and thank god he wasn’t traded. But it wouldn’t shock me if Bregman was offered for Sale or even Fulmer. Remember, as utterly badass as he has been overall, Luhnow has been pretty dead ass wrong on young players before. He drafted Brady Aiken and Mark Appel first overall, and he cut JD Martinez loose in favor of Robbie Grossman. That’s about $300M in value missed depending on how you look at it.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aiken, Appel, and JDM never produced in the majors when Luhnow made decisions on them.I expect Bregman's name came up as a possibility prior to 2016 trade deadline. Astros may have even offered him up at 2016 trade deadline. After 2016 season, there are very few guys with as much value as a guy projected as a 3+WAR player with 6 years of control (typically, all are in the majors).

7. vince

vince Member

I remember reading that GM’s were frustrated with the Astros because they were too enamored and valued their prospects too much. I remember hearing that all the Astros had to do was include Bregman in the Chris Sales deal, and it would be done!

Luhnow refused to give the package that the White Sox wanted which included Bregman; who know maybe it was a one for one trade, or maybe the Astros wanted more in return. But I am sure glad they held onto A-Breg

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not about Verlander but the Tigers- Luhnow was gonna send Bregman to Detroit for Fulmer and a releiver.......Yikes. Bullet dodged.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-deadline-to-keep-michael-fulmer-report-says/

9. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Not sure if that Detroit Free Press report is true or not. Although I do wonder if the Detroit GM knows what he's doing. They are in a complete rebuild, and yet he held on to Fulmer longer than he should have, and this year (according to the article) asked way too much for Boyd. This seems like a half-hearted rebuild. Anyway, glad we didn't ship off Bregman for Fulmer, bullet dodged indeed.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So much of this is being passed through the gift of hindsight - but given their ages and contracts, it's not inconceivable. If Detroit had dealt Fulmer in 2017 (and I do remember rumors, though they may have been more wishful thinking), he would've brought back a substantial haul.