1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props to the House and Republicans!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, May 25, 2005.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Nice to see the House working together in a bipartisan way to change bad policy! And a major shout out the brave republicans that stood with the democrats!

Way to go guys!
    ----------------

House Defies Bush, Approves Stem Cell Bill

In defiance of a presidential veto threat, senators who support embryonic stem cell research are pushing for a quick vote on a bill passed by the House that would lift restrictions on such studies.

"The American people cannot afford to wait any longer for our top scientists to realize the full potential of stem cell research," said Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, the bill's chief Democratic sponsor.

No Senate debate has been scheduled, according to aides to Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., who is a doctor and an abortion opponent. He has long been an ally of President Bush, who last week said he would veto the bill.

The Republican-controlled House's 238-194 vote on Tuesday stung some abortion opponents even though it fell far short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto. Such an action by Bush would be the first of his presidency.

The Senate bill, sponsored by Harkin and Sen. Arlen Specter R-Pa., is identical to the approved House version. It would lift Bush's 2001 restrictions on federal funding for new embryonic stem cell research.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050525/ap_on_go_co/congress_stem_cells

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

excellent news. I hope that all research in this area can be accelerated as soon as possible.

In California we voted to fund it with state funds as well, and that might be my favorite vote I've ever cast.

3. mc mark

It's like 3 billion dollars isn't it? But from what I understand it's being tied up in litigation.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You got it. It sucks because the measure passed pretty handily from what I remember. Also with ARnold at the helm we never know what is going to happen. He's supposedly pro-stem cell research, but we thought he wouldn't gut education or screw over the teachers when he made that pledge to get elected.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Let's see if we can break down these brave Republicans into 3 categories:

1) Have direct financial interests in stem cell research companies.
    2) Have a change of heart (flip flop if you will) only after seeing family member(s) or close friends suffered from diseases potentially curable by advancement in stem cell research.
    3) Voted only on moral principles.

Props to 3), maybe to 2), but not to 1).

#5 wnes, May 25, 2005
    Last edited: May 25, 2005
  6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

While I am happy that some Republican's have apparently showed some...spine...this victory is largely symbolic as the president will veto the bill and their aren't enough votes to break the presidential veto.

The bill supporting the funding for stem-cells derived from the umbilical cord, as one congressman put it, is like giving someone a bicycle to go from one coast to the other. Will it work? Yes, but is it efficient or the best option? NO.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Give Republicans a break. I'm a registered Republican and have always supported scientific endeavors.

No need to get partisan and sarcastic about legislators who voted the way you wanted them too. Similar questions can be raised for just about every spending bill (even though this is actaully not a spending bill).

Political discussions can be kept civil when participants stay away from the "your side is evil, my side ain't" types of arguments. Dispute policy, don't personally condemn half the nation.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm betting that Frist will work to keep this from even getting to the floor. Medical research using stem cells is very popular and could prove to be a successful wedge issue. With Congressional Republicans looking bad over the Schiavo case, the filibuster, and Tom Delay the last thing they need is a controversial issue being openly debated and voted on on the floor of the Senate. Its a no win situation because if it gets passed the President will veto it creating some political embarrassment showing that the party doesn't control Congress as much they like to think and will also enrage the Social Conservative base. If it publically gets voted down it will further alienate moderates and independents.

That it even got to the House floor for debate isn't good for Congressional Republicans and no doubt will be used as ammunition for Democratic campaigns.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nice post, langal. I totally agree.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Hence category 3), for whom I always have respect.

Me partisan? hell no. I never hesitate to slam those Democrats whom I consider pretentious and hypocritical.

11. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Funny how no conservative has posted yet in this thread.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

All I know is Frist probably knows more about this topic than anyone else in Congress... considering his medical background :)

13. ima_drummer2k

What are langal and I, chopped liver?

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Chopped liver? No....

Creamed herring? Maybe......

:D

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You're both closet liberals.

I've always suspected that.

16. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I am a conservative too. I guess what I should have said was that no neo-con poster has posted yet.

17. mc mark

The thread was not meant to call out our rightwing friends. Just a sincere acknowledgement to the bipartisan effort of our gov. for a change.

Now...

It is good to see that there is some effort by some to cooperate in the poisoned world of politics today. I have been heartened by the recent events of the filibuster compromise and now the stem cell bill.

Are we beginning to see the pendulum swing once more to the middle? Have the good people of the grand old party had enough of the radicalism of the last few years?

Is the lame duck season upon us?

But I guess those questions are for another thread.

18. ima_drummer2k

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Neo Cons are as liberal as they get when it comes to spending.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I doubt this is an issue for Neocons.