1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Primary Colors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Jan 25, 2006.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I love this movie. I try and watch of it what I can whenever I come across it. It leaves me feeling good. I guess that's what some of you guys love about Bill Clinton. I couldn't get there in real life politics, but I can appreciate the charisma.

Two things:

1. I'd like to hear what some bona fide Clinton lovers think of this movie (calling Gennifer Flowers!)...

2. Did a close "advisor" of his really take his/her own life in the primary season as the movie depicts in the Kathy Bates role?

Thanks for your contributions. I figured I might as well start this thing out in the D&D... :D

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Bill (damn term limits!), and I think the flick is a hoot. I don't know about your #2. The person famous for taking their life was a guy, and it was after the election. Maybe I just don't remember.

Hey! The Rockets won big, for once!! We're gunnin' for the playoffs!!! :cool: :D

Keep D&D Civil.

3. giddyup

I said that I liked it not that I believed it. I realize it is fiction, although fiction that is thinly disguised... so there must be some approximate truth in there.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I loved the part where up in the hotel room Hilary and the brain trust are trying to clean up the latest "bimbo eruption".

Meanwhile old Bill (Travolta--who was great )is talking politics and charming the counter guy at the all night donut shop.

5. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

# 2 Vince Foster?

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I know the part about the affair with the black girl, and a Clinton relative taking the amniocintesis/blood test for him, is largely accurate, Stephanopoulos confirmed it in his autobiography "All Too Human."

7. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Travolta really was good as Clinton.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Maybe i'm missing out on some great film, but I could never force myself to watch this movie due to my intense disliking of Bill Clinton and his joke of an administration.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What country were you living in during those 8 years?

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

what, you don't like jokes? most people on this planet think it's a joke that some americans hate clinton due to his philandering ways. i think we should have an amish president, that ought to satisfy everyone.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Imagine our Amish President taking a horse and buggy overseas for the next G-8 summit..... :D

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Most people on this planet think we are a joke period.

13. giddyup

We'd have Footmen instead of Secret Service agents. Long trip in a rowboat, although I guess a steamer would be allowed.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i don't think so. my guess is there are probably about the same percentage of idiots abroad as there are at home. for example, i know many europeans who can recognize the difference between dubya and you and i.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yeah, that 8 years of peace and prosperity really blew donkey balls, huh?

:rolleyes:

16. giddyup

Hoot mon, we had the war to end all wars in Bosnia masterfully orchestrated by the Clinton Administration who would have done the same masterful job for us post-9/11... :D

17. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I'm a Democrat who was mostly supportive of Clinton during his time in office, and I love this movie. I can accept that they took artistic license with some actual events (there was never a paternity test for the alleged illegitimate baby, for example) for entertainment value.

Billy Bob as Carville is great; Kathy Bates as Clinton's former Chief of Staff is great; the list goes on and on. Several of the actors nailed their real-life analogs. (The lead character, by the way, is a composite of several people.)

Also, it's one of the few performances by Travolta in the past several years that I haven't found ridiculous.

It's one of the more realistic protrayals of how campaigns really are on the inside that I've seen.

My biggest beef is the ending. [SPOILER WARNING]

The book ends with the scene where Travolta is trying to talk the main character out of quitting the campaign. The last line of the book is Stanton/Travolta saying something like, "You've got to be with me" and you're left to decide if the aide quit the campaign or not. The movie, however, take that question away from the viewer by showing the aide at the inaugural.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I suppose that the conflict in Bosnia would rise up to the level of fighting in Iraq, right? How many US troops died in Bosnia?

Maybe I should have said "relative peace," but the point remains. Total troop losses under Clinton's presidency were negligible.

Yeah, all those anti-terrorism measures that were opposed by the GOP Congress were just posturing by Clinton. Same thing with the plans developed by the Clinton administration and passed on to the incoming Bush administration.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Umm. You do realize that if we had a real president in office during those years, 9-11 would have never happened don't you?

Clinton had the chance to take out Osama after he destroyed two of our embassies, but he just lobbed a few cruise missiles in his direction rather than send in ground troops when we knew exactly where he was, because he was scared of another Somali type PR disaster happening on television. Well, we have around 3000 dead American civilians to show due to Mr. Clinton's lack of balls.

#20 Aceshigh7, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2006